mk1 2001 ford focus - rear end suspension problem - swampdiver

well finally managed to get car down to my local quick fit for them to have a look at what was making the knocking noise on the rear end of the focus. turns out it is the rear lower arm, they said it has fractured where the anti roll bar bolt and bush set up goes through it, and it is this that is making the noise when i drive over bumps. had everything else checked and nothing else wrong on the back end.

well they have quoted me £112 per side to to replace the lower arm and then said it needs the rear toe adjusted at another £25 and also due to doing this i would need the front checked and adjusted at another £50

as it is only one side that has a problem with and due to being skint i will only be looking at having the problem side sorted out, plus i may only have the car for another month max so dont really want to spend out a small fortune (well it is for me) when i may not be keeping it on the road in a few weeks time.

but still they are looking at

£112

£25

£50

total of £187

so my questions are thus.

how much of a diy job is it to replace the rear lower arm

is the work they are wanting to do really necessary? or are they trying to get extra out of me.

does the price look to be right or too much,

the guy said it would be about 1 hr to replace max but that it may need new camber bolts as they normally snap on removal, is this just the bolts that hold the arm in place?

mk1 2001 ford focus - rear end suspension problem - elekie&a/c doctor

If you take your car to QF,you are very likely to come out with a bill more than the car is worth.Rear shocks and exhaust,come to mind.(while we have it on the ramp!!) oh yes,not forgetting rear brakes also.Do yourself a favour and take it to a local recommened indy workshop and get an honest appraisal.It could be done diy,but you need to hang the rear suspension off the body,not easy on the ground.

mk1 2001 ford focus - rear end suspension problem - swampdiver

what i do not understand is why if it is the rear lower arm that is being replaced why i would need the front checked and adjusted , especially at another £50. wouldnt have thought the rear had anything to do with the front

or am i reading this sheet wrong

[URL=s58.photobucket.com/user/sharkysdiving/media/2015-...l][IMG]i58.photobucket.com/albums/g250/sharkysdiving/2015...g[/IMG][/URL]

mk1 2001 ford focus - rear end suspension problem - Galaxy

Well, the rear toe being out can also affect the front toe, so I understand. They are both set together so that the wheels run perfectly in line on each side of the car.

However, as far as you're concerned, OP, I would suggest that probably only the rear would need to be done after the repair.

As elekie says, don't go to places like Kwik-Fit, find a small local independent garage, preferably by recommendation, and ask them to have a look at it. You will save money by doing so and probably get a better job done in the process, too.