Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - Astra burning oil - Windrifter124
Had a problem with my 51 1.6 Astra overheating. There was no smoke from exhaust but bubbles in the coolant. Took it to my garage and they diagnosed a blown head gasket. Got that changes and now it is blowing grey smoke out and going through 1lt of oil every 20 or so miles. Garage trying to tell me the bottom end went when gasket blew but there was NO SMOKE before at all. Any advise would be great. What could it be.
Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - Astra burning oil - elekie&a/c doctor

Sadly,repairing one of these engines at this age is not an economic proposition.A blown head gasket can cause other issues with the bottom end of the engine.Compression has been restored but the oil control rings and bores may be past it.

Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - Astra burning oil - RT

Sounds to me like they've simply changed the gasket, without skimming the head to remove any distortion from the previous overheating.

Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - Astra burning oil - Railroad.
My sentiments are exactly those of eleckie &a/c doctor.
Vauxhall Astra G Petrol - Astra burning oil - mr v

Did the gasket blow in the first place because of blocked crankcase ventalation bud i had a veccy z18xe once and oil burned quicker than fuel coz of the blockage to the throttle housing(breathers) grey smoke could be the s***e burning out of exhaust now it has more exhaust flow bud..i also took cat off and soaked it so i knew i didnt have bad back pressure..good luck mate