What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo 2013 - corroded alloy wheels - metty

i have a 13 plate mondeo 24 month old. that has bad corroded alloys.

i had the wheels taken off the car and cleaned inside so we coulde see the extent of the corrosion. what a shock we got .the wheel are corroding from the inside to the outside so i reckon in another 12 month they will be seriously dammaged. the car is only 24 month old and the corrosion isnt coming from damage.

so im now im told that they are only covered for 12 month under the bodywork warranty . then i look a fords asked questions and they say "the terms bodywork doesnot include road wheels.

ford customer service is now looking into this for me .WATCH THIS SPACE.

anybody else got this problem??

Ford Mondeo 2013 - corroded alloy wheels - gordonbennet

Daimond cut and lacquered wheels presumably, all makes offering wheels like this suffer in the same way in countries that use salt.

The only way to make them last is to keep them clean, especially in winter, salt and dirt must be removed very regularly or they will deteriorate quickly, did you wash them weekly at least?

they are looked after.

and we havent had bad winters in its life time. looking at the back of them they were starting to corrode from day one .

update. ford have offered to pay 50% for refurbish of all four.

should i take it ???

Ford Mondeo 2013 - corroded alloy wheels - RT

As they seem to have T&C on their side, I'd guess that 50% is as good as you'll get.

Hyundai's 5-year warranty would cover that sort of thing - they've had a big refurb exercise on wheels for the 2010-2012 Santa Fe where the laquer peels - I've just had ALL FIVE ALLOYS done for my 4+ year old Santa Fe.

Ford Mondeo 2013 - corroded alloy wheels - NARU

Illustrates the difference between manufacturers. Toyota replaced a couple of (externally) corroded alloys for me at just under three years old.

Hope you get a decent resolution.

Ford Mondeo 2013 - corroded alloy wheels - csgmart

Had this problem on my Mercedes SLK. Car is just under 3 years old and I've had all 4 wheels replaced twice now. MB picked up the bill as the car is still under warranty.

The alloys were starting to show signs of corrosion around the centre hub and I was dilligent enough to spot this before it got too bad and as the remainder of the alloy was undamanged the claim was a breeze.

I hate diamond cut alloys with a passion. They look nice in the show room but completely impractical for every day use.

Ford Mondeo 2013 - corroded alloy wheels - ohsoslow

My Nissan suffered from corrosion to the wheels at about 30 months. The fronts had small bubbling around the centre hub and the rears had the first signs of corrosion again around the centre hub on close inspection.

Nissan dealer took photos to send to Nissan UK who approved the replacement of all four wheels under warranty which was done within a fortnight of my first contact with the dealer.

Very happy with the service as the corrosion especially on the rears was minor, but not so impressed with the standard of the wheel protection.

Perhaps many cars are not cleaned by their owners these days so a little corrosion to the wheels would not get noticed or commented on by car wash staff or the cost to the manufacturers for replacements may make them reconsider the wheel options.

The corrosion, even on the fronts to mine was only noticeable on fairly close inspection which I first noticed on trying to clean some very stubborn gunge from the wheels.

At 50% manufacturer offer your cost will still be fairly substantial I would have thought as these wheels will not be cheap.

Hope you can get a better offer for the replacements.

Just reread your post, I see they are offering refurbishment rather than replacement. I wonder if that may be the better way to go if done properly.

Edited by ohsoslow on 15/08/2015 at 11:41

Ford Mondeo 2013 - corroded alloy wheels - daveyK_UK

Even with the Ford contribution, is it not cheaper to buy 4 steels and wheel trims? Or find a set at a scrap yard?

Ford Mondeo 2013 - corroded alloy wheels - gordonbennet

50% contribution, whilst not the ideal resolution is better than nothing, but i'd be interested to learn how they intend to go about this and what they term as a refurb.

Shot blasted painted then cooked can be had from around £50/60 a wheel (plus tyre removel/refit fees), whilst correct lathe cutting of cut and lacquered of your current wheels is roughly twice the price(s).

Then there's VAT which they can claim the whole lot back on assuming they have the bill (and they'll get trade discounts), or do they intend for you to get the job done and they'll contribute exactly half, you probably get where i'm going here, you might be paying far more than half.

The problem with recutting/relacquering is that exactly the same problem will re-occur in roughly the same time frame (wheels refurbed this way carry a very short, if any, warranty), depending on how long you intend to keep the car this might be a solution for you, but if you intend to keep the car long term it might be worth speaking to someone like Pristine Wheels (other wheel refurbers are available) and enquire about having them painted with some of the latest chrome paints, some MB owners have done this and are very pleased with the results being a remakably close finish to cut/lacquer and last as long as standard painted finish.

im taking the offer to pay half and i can pick where to have them done. wheel specilist in westerhope newcastle look good.

thanks to all who answered me.