What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Speeding - HOW TO MAKE MONEY - oldroverboy.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3051316/Convictio...l

At a £20- surcharge forces made £26 million and some charged £30..

nice little earner. But the bit that is interesting is that if you exceed the "tolerances" you get a speeding ticket. Over the speed limit is an awareness course, but only one course in 3 years.

Slow down all...

Speeding - HOW TO MAKE MONEY - Engineer Andy

Easier to make money by being a lawyer defending wealthy, famour clients who speed...

Speeding - HOW TO MAKE MONEY - Cris_on_the_gas

Better not to break speed limit.

Speeding - HOW TO MAKE MONEY - Ethan Edwards

How original..never heard that before. Your own creation perchance?

How original..never heard that before. Your own creation perchance?

It is what I understood after reading the article, That the volume of courses offered is making a lot of money for someone, I know, two years ago I took the course instead of the points and fine.. 79 MPH on M4 70 limit.. £85 thank you sir,,

Now going slower. ALL the time...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 24/04/2015 at 15:16

Speeding - HOW TO MAKE MONEY - expat

I live in Australia and on visits to the UK I have been amazed by how many people are speeding on the motorways. We have lots of people speeding over here also but no where near the numbers in the UK and not by such big amounts over the limits.

I live in Australia and on visits to the UK I have been amazed by how many people are speeding on the motorways. We have lots of people speeding over here also but no where near the numbers in the UK and not by such big amounts over the limits.

Obviously don't watch the aussie cops on patrol like we do here, nice to see instant eyewatering fines and demerit points..

Speeding - HOW TO MAKE MONEY - Vitesse6

Are there any other laws that are seen as ok to break? Would it be alright to mug someone just a little bit, to have a tyre that was only bald on one side and not the other or let your dog foul the pavement because it was only a small turd?

Is it that speed limits are considered to be an infringement of our free will?

Speeding - HOW TO MAKE MONEY - Trilogy

Double demerits too over the Christmas holiday in Australia. You don't have to be much over to get done. Certainly makes you concentrate. Also like the fact they do spot checks for drink/drug driving.

Are there any other laws that are seen as ok to break? Would it be alright to mug someone just a little bit, to have a tyre that was only bald on one side and not the other or let your dog foul the pavement because it was only a small turd?

Is it that speed limits are considered to be an infringement of our free will?

I was not claiming that any law was ok to break.

I was pointing out that someone is makin a lot of money out of all this.

Speeding - HOW TO MAKE MONEY - Vitesse6

No I didn't think you were, but there seems to be a general attitude that if you get caught speeding you are offered sympathy for your bad luck!

Another posted said, the answer is simple, don't speed and the next poster was quite sarcastic which was what prompted my post.

As confession is good for the soul. I must say I got done for 35 in a 30 limit, went on the speed course and was pleasantly surprised that the course was very good, and has altered my driving habits.

Speeding - HOW TO MAKE MONEY - Leif
The issue is whether the law is there to improve safety, or to make money, or for some other reason. Excess speed for the road and the conditions is dangerous and criminal. Unfortunately speed limits are a rather blunt instrument. What might be safe one day, might be lunacy the next. Some limits and cameras are good, but many cameras are surely there to make money.

Perhaps if i rephrase it.

Speed above the tolerances = offence = fine + points.

What now appears to be the case is Speed over limit but under tolerances = "speed awareness" course at up to £130...

I don't believe any speed cameras are just there to make money.

neither do i,

but was that a squadron of flying piglets just went past me on the A12..

Speeding - HOW TO MAKE MONEY - focussed

The French government made 800 million euros out of speeding fines the last reported year-that's a lot of money in anyone's currency.

There is a graph of annual fatal accident figures on a website that goes back 20 years or so.

The graph mean trends that the figures for fatals has been declining for those twenty years and the year that speed cameras were introduced is marked.

The trend line continues to decline roughly as before the introduction of cameras.

Due to newer cars having better protection, airbags, stronger passenger cells etc and better safer roads.

Of course the numbnuts in the government claim that it's all due to the speed cameras.

But they would say that wouldn't they?

A retired traffic brigade gendarme who was interviewed recently said that when attending any vehicle crash they had always been instructed to tick the box on the report form marked "excess speed" if the cause of the accident was not immediately obvious.

Stronger cars = harder to see out, with thicker blindspots = accidents continue, although injuries are less severe while fatalities are reduced too.

I bet you cannot find any evidence to support that assertion.

You don't need more than a few brain cells to realise what I typed is correct.

Speeding - HOW TO MAKE MONEY - alan1302

You don't need more than a few brain cells to realise what I typed is correct.

So you can't prove it then.

I do. Or to be precise, money is short, there are not enough coppers, speed cameras are a cheap way to be seen to be doing something, and to achieve targets. There was an ex head of the Met traffic unit on R4 saying that he thought some recent cameras were not justified., iIf the real concern is accidents, you'd see more cameras in residential areas, not motorways which are the safest roads.

I forgot to add that the making money part is not so obvious. There is a whole industry associated with speed camera partnerships and speed awareness courses. Jobs and careers depend on income from or associated with cameras. Just as turkeys do not vote for christmas, these people would not oppose cameras.
Speeding - HOW TO MAKE MONEY - Avant

"Speed camera partnerships...." - the name gives the game away.

Part of the definition of a commercial partnership is that it's there to make a profit. These 'partnerships' may not be quite the same thing, but they wouldn't be called partnerships unless there was some commercial value in it.

"Speed camera partnerships...." - the name gives the game away.

Part of the definition of a commercial partnership is that it's there to make a profit. These 'partnerships' may not be quite the same thing, but they wouldn't be called partnerships unless there was some commercial value in it.

Indeed - a speed camera was installed in my parents' home town on a stretch of main road going out of town through an industrial area, just because (the minimum justification supposedly) one elderly driver was killed at a double roundabout due to speed - I believe it was because the accident was on a downward slope and due to the age of the driver (they misjudged the speed they should've been at when they arrived at the roundabout), and not general 'speeding' 250m away where the camera now sits (now a 30mph speed limit, was 40mph), catching many people who are otherwise driving safely at 35mph. At least they've pianted the rear of the camera box the reflective orange colour now so it can be seen.

All too often any actual speeding is when a young person is joyriding or a middle-aged person is showing off in their sports saloon, whereby they go far above the previous speed limit, and so reducing the speed and adding a camera doesn't deter anyone who is driving unsafely. Too many 'red flag' brigade people in charge of/have too much influence over council and police these days - we need to get out there to influence these organisations rather than just sounding off via web forums and shouting at our TVs - I'm just as guilty as most.

That's a good point. You can put in a speed camera if there have been deaths on the road. But do they determine the speed the person was doing when they crashed and was it under or over the limit? Many accidents are random anyway.

I think in the UK we always seem to be in a hurry to do everything these days - on many occasions did I get criticised by my boss and colleagues for leaving for meetings 10 mins earlier than they would and driving at safe speeds - my boss at the time often drove down to meetings at 90mph on the motorways and a good 10mph above speed limits on local road, except for the short distance after the speed cameras (dangerous breaking)!

The hurry, hurry driving attutude appears to go with a similar one (both seemed to start from the mid 1980s and get much worse from the mid 1990s/early 2000s) in the workplace where often the norm is 'shovel things out the door as quickly as possible [fingers crossed about quality]' or 'never mind the quality, feel the width'.