What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford transit tdci - diesels that run well one day and not the next - Matt@

the title is a bit confusing but I know what I want to ask! I've owned a few diesels over the years and most have been afflicted by the same issue. One minute they run really well and are flying machines then you take them out anoither time and they run slightly off. The vehicles in question 1999 Frontera 2.2 DTI, 2003 Transit TDCI, 2005 Galaxy 1.9TDI 130ps. All have been the same - when running well you get a kick in the back when you stick your foot down, when "not running well" its like the timing is slightly out ie a very slight sluggishness in acceleration. What would be common to these type of engines whereby day to day running is affected? I cant work it out. A clue with the Transit and the Galaxy is if you go for a run say 10 miles, park up for an hour then drive off again, it runs much better after that little rest.

This all affected the transit the most....

any ideas? I wondering temp sensors??

ford transit tdci - diesels that run well one day and not the next - Peter.N.

The temperature of the engine will make a considerable difference, they do tend to be slower when cold but so do all engines, partly because of combustion inefficiency and partly because oll the oil/grease is thick, also when the ambient temperature is low the the air is more dense so offers greater resistance.

Most modern engines have so much surplus power that you don't notice it except for poor fuel consumption but if you are having to drive it near the limit you might just notice.

ford transit tdci - diesels that run well one day and not the next - Railroad.
This is fairly typical of all engines. Strange as it may seem they can seem to perform differently in different days. This will be due to many factors, such as differences in air temperature and pressure, and also fuel temperature. You can also be lucky or unlucky regarding the fuel you buy. It doesn't take much to alter the calorific value of the fuel, and that will have an effect on performance. Personally I never use supermarket fuel in my car. I have done in the past and I've noticed the car's lost that bit of extra edge when I've used it, and returned when I've later used branded fuel.

On another note, steam engine railway drivers would often describe their engines as being 'alive', as their performance would often differ from day to day.
ford transit tdci - diesels that run well one day and not the next - mss1tw

The driver's state of mind probably plays a part too.

I prefer driving on crisp cold days. It eeks every last little power out of the engine.

ford transit tdci - diesels that run well one day and not the next - Peter.N.

...also blood sugar level.

ford transit tdci - diesels that run well one day and not the next - hardway

I found this most noticable in an old Merc sprinter that I used to have on the books.

Believe it or not I could tell where he had last filled it up with fuel.

Mostly a choice of two garages.

Anyhoo,

Performace was similar but if he filled up at say station "A" rather than "B"

the best way I could describe it was the engine just sounded/felt sharper.

Different brands of course but this old sprinter really did have a "prefenence"

Not for the fancy expensive hooch,

As us old timers used to call it Derv.

Best I could come up with was different "CETANE" levels between the brands but never did get to the bottom of it............