What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes c220 cdi se exec , reg June 2012 - catastrophic engine failure - stassin2

I own a C220 CDI SE Exec , registered 26th June 2102, so still in warranty. Current mileage 28k.

I bought the car at a trade auction from Mercedes retail finance in December 2013 with 18k miles.

On 23rd March 2015 whilst driving about 40 mph on the A127 flyover the car started to shake violently and send out a lot of exhaust fumes. The car also began accelerating on it's own and I had to apply brakes to slow it down.

The car was taken to my local MB main dealer. Mercedes Uk recovered the vehicle and arranged a courtesy car for me which I am still using.

The main dealer diagnosed a catastrophic engine failure and advised there is a hole in the engine. They said they are awaiting approval from MB Germany to go ahead with the installing a new engine.

On the 1st April the main dealer advised that they could not find a record of the cars first "A" service and that the warranty on the car may not be intact and that they want £7.5k off me to go ahead with the repair which will cost £14kn in total.

The faulty engine will be sent to Germany and if MB agree it's an engine fault I will get my £7.5k back. I find this totally unacceptable.

I had a "B" service carried out on the car in May 2014 at 21k miles at the main dealer that has my car now. When I asked for a print out of the service history they said they could not find a record of the first "A" but that I should not worry as the car was now fully compliant with warranty requirements as it had just been serviced by them. Well they are now trying to move the goal posts.

They have also said they want the courtesy car back next week if I do not pay the £7.5k to get the work progressed.

The car has a OM651 engine and on reading the forums there have been issues but with these engines MB have not acknowledged it but they have been making " goodwill repairs".

Any advice on how I can move this forward appreciated.

Mercedes c220 cdi se exec , reg June 2012 - catastrophic engine failure - Peter.N.

If you can't get any sense out of them I would have thought legal action would be the way forward. You need to find out what caused the engine failure to make a case. If you subscribe the 'Which?' magazine they do a legal service which I think you have to subscribe to but its not very dear.

Mercedes c220 cdi se exec , reg June 2012 - catastrophic engine failure - gordonbennet

Has the timing chain of cheese failed on this, believe it or not they've stuck a single timing chain with (so i'm told by my disgusted MB indy) plastic guides at the rear of the engine, disaster waiting to happen.

Mercedes c220 cdi se exec , reg June 2012 - catastrophic engine failure - stassin2

I've asked MB for a detailed report on reason for engine failure and I have asked for the right to appoint a independent chartered engineer to diagnose the cause of damage, if I have to go that route. Lawyer on standby too.

I have asked MB to explain why my vehicle may not be under warranty too. Things aren't clear as my car has Mobilo cover till May 2015, it's 3 years old in June 2015. They are also prepared pay almost half the cost with my £7.5k being refunded once MB Germany see the engine and determine it's faulty.

Mercedes c220 cdi se exec , reg June 2012 - catastrophic engine failure - Happy Blue!

So Mercedes Retail Finance sell a car with a less than perfect service history and then try to wriggle out of a warranty claim.... I can see a judge having some fun with MBUK on this one.

Mercedes c220 cdi se exec , reg June 2012 - catastrophic engine failure - Wolfan

So Mercedes Retail Finance sell a car with a less than perfect service history and then try to wriggle out of a warranty claim.... I can see a judge having some fun with MBUK on this one.

If I understand the OP correctly the car was entered into a trade auction by M.B. Retail Finance not sold directly by them to him. The auction company usually state what service history, full or part the vehicle has and the balance of any manufacturers warranty remaining. Any prospective purchaser can inspect whatever paperwork there is paperwork at the auction office. If the car was the subject of a repossession then it's history may be missing and the car sold considerably cheaper as a result. If the service record is incomplete or missing then a M.B. main dealer would not want to retail it.

Mercedes c220 cdi se exec , reg June 2012 - catastrophic engine failure - daveyjp

My thoughts too. Mercedes retail sell cars up to 5 years old. The fact this one went to auction suggests all was not in order.

Mercedes c220 cdi se exec , reg June 2012 - catastrophic engine failure - gordonbennet

Good points, don't know about MB but other makes have closed auctions where its normally their own make dealers only buying, one would have to wonder why the car it found itself available to general buying.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/04/2015 at 10:24

Mercedes c220 cdi se exec , reg June 2012 - catastrophic engine failure - Railroad.
This is exactly the kind of reason why I think it makes no sense to own a new car these days, and why so many people are preferring to lease hire. You have fixed monthly costs, and service, maintenance, tyres and even tax and insurance are often included in the price. The only thing you have to pay for is fuel.

Modern cars are becoming increasingly problematic to repair as they get older due to the emission regulations and on board technology. Without the correct knowledge, factory training and equipment smaller garages and repair centres are going to fall further and further behind as time goes on. With lease hiring none of this is a problem to the hirer. If the engine goes bang a new car appears like magic on your driveway. Owning a car is a drain on your finances, and to not even mention depreciation, for which the owner has to take the hit.
Mercedes c220 cdi se exec , reg June 2012 - catastrophic engine failure - Wolfan

I own a C220 CDI SE Exec , registered 26th June 2102, so still in warranty. Current mileage 28k.

I bought the car at a trade auction from Mercedes retail finance in December 2013 with 18k miles.

On 23rd March 2015 whilst driving about 40 mph on the A127 flyover the car started to shake violently and send out a lot of exhaust fumes. The car also began accelerating on it's own and I had to apply brakes to slow it down.

The car was taken to my local MB main dealer. Mercedes Uk recovered the vehicle and arranged a courtesy car for me which I am still using.

The main dealer diagnosed a catastrophic engine failure and advised there is a hole in the engine. They said they are awaiting approval from MB Germany to go ahead with the installing a new engine.

On the 1st April the main dealer advised that they could not find a record of the cars first "A" service and that the warranty on the car may not be intact and that they want £7.5k off me to go ahead with the repair which will cost £14kn in total.

The faulty engine will be sent to Germany and if MB agree it's an engine fault I will get my £7.5k back. I find this totally unacceptable.

I had a "B" service carried out on the car in May 2014 at 21k miles at the main dealer that has my car now. When I asked for a print out of the service history they said they could not find a record of the first "A" but that I should not worry as the car was now fully compliant with warranty requirements as it had just been serviced by them. Well they are now trying to move the goal posts.

They have also said they want the courtesy car back next week if I do not pay the £7.5k to get the work progressed.

The car has a OM651 engine and on reading the forums there have been issues but with these engines MB have not acknowledged it but they have been making " goodwill repairs".

Any advice on how I can move this forward appreciated.

In the absense of any additional information relating to this post I would suggest that the best thing for the OP to do would be to accept the manufacturer's offer if he intends to keep the car to maintain the balance of the cars warranty, failing that install a second hand engine and then out it.

Mercedes c220 cdi se exec , reg June 2012 - catastrophic engine failure - joxbawanak

Buy an r129 SL 500 with the M119 engine !!!