What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen Polo 1.9 S SDI - 2002 Polo SDI good reliable option? - ulysses

Hello.

As I am on a pauper budget I'm thinking of getting an old non-turbo diesel for a reliable cheap to run basic car. I plan to DIY. Heard little old turbo diesels not so reliable.

I have a 52 reg 1.2 E Polo and it's in need of an engine overhaul (you guys have said that was a tricky engine, prone to failure if not properly maintained. Think that's what happened). I like the safety, all-round economy and smooth ride of the car otherwise.

The car I am going to see at a dealers is practically the same 52 body except is an S trim with SDI diesel engine. I actually like the eager little 1.2 engine and enjoy the sedate ride, so am wondering it might be a similar spec in terms of performance.

Firstly, is the SDI a non-turbo engine?

Any comments on the SDI Polo? I am prepared for it to be rattly and underpowered compared to the turbo diesels, but I am looking for economy, reliability and safety in a car under £2k. I am hoping the engine will last a long time. It's done 95k.

What should I particularly look out for? I'll get the cam done.

Ta in advance.

Volkswagen Polo 1.9 S SDI - 2002 Polo SDI good reliable option? - RobJP

The biggest thing with those is, as you've already identified, the cambelt. On those, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be done every 70k miles (not sure of the 'or every x years' ibt though. However, when done you need to do the rollers, waterpump, etc as well, and it's not the easiest job in the world.

Depends on the level of your DIY skills, really. Oil, filters, etc are pretty easy. Cambelt, waterpump on these VAG engines is a good couple of steps up.

Yeah, I'm planning to just do the servicing, not the cam.

This dealer says cam not done on this particular car, will do it for me on purchase, depending on price of sale. So I should get the water pump and rollers changed as well? Sorry, I am a DIY newbie. (Just booked in for night school, got the overalls and workboots ready!)

Generally an old diesel a sensible option for durability and realiability? I am not looking for city nipping or snazz I am used to staying in the slow lane. That said, Polo is quite posh on the outside.

Anything else dodgy on these Polos? Gearbox?

Volkswagen Polo 1.9 S SDI - 2002 Polo SDI good reliable option? - S40 Man

I used to have p reg SDI polo and it was OK. Reasonable on fuel ~45 mpg reliability was 100% when 3-5 yrs. Worst thing was power apparently in had 63 HP but around 2k rpm its OK but above 3k it just seemed to make a lot of noise and not much else. Decent enough round town but motorway or a road use gets annoying. Its a simple indirect injection old school diesel so might be more reliable than common rail turbo.

Thanks, S40 Man!

Old School is what I'm after.

Yours was P reg, then a few years older than the 2002 with the round double lights.

I'll give it a test drive.

My bro had a little Peugeot diesel around that age. I drove it a couple of times, it was ok. I just want a car to go camping, drive to the supermarket and a reasonably comfy occasional long haul.

I only do 5k a year but life without a car would not be cool. That's where I'm at. So Old School seems like a plan.

I know people who have fuelled up with old chip fat. Not something I'm prepared to do, but good to know after an apocalypse.

Volkswagen Polo 1.9 S SDI - 2002 Polo SDI good reliable option? - elekie&a/c doctor

The sdi is definitely a poverty model with no turbo and not a lot of go.I would make sure you give it a good test drive before purchase.Not a lot to go wrong on these,especially after a 3 cyl petrol.

Volkswagen Polo 1.9 S SDI - 2002 Polo SDI good reliable option? - Happy Blue!

My experience of these non turbo diesels is that they go a lot better and are much more economical if they are given a good thrash every so often. But you should only do this once you are satisfied that the engine is fully warm and that it will not spontaneously disintergrate during the thrash - hence get the cambelt done and the water pump, pulleys etc etc beforehand.

A good drive up and down steep hills in low gears works wonders. Clears all the rubbish out of the engine.