What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Maverick - Maverick Batt Light Stays On After New Alternator - idb

Ford maverick 2002 xlt had new alternator fitted and battery light comes on after 30 seconds, diagnostic shows no blocked codes but alternator fault so garage fitted another new alternator, after 30 seconds battery light comes on!. Battery tested ok charging ok, wiring check ok again points to alternator . - Auto Electrician and Garage baffled any help ?

Ford Maverick - Maverick Batt Light Stays On After New Alternator - elekie&a/c doctor

This could be fitted with the Ford smart charge system.If the warning light comes on after 30 secs,this tends to indicate a fault with the electronic control system.Even though the light is on,is the alternator showing a charge voltage of around 14 volts.?

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 18/01/2015 at 11:53

Yes it is, but the ECU shows no fault codes when diagnostic tested.

Ford Maverick - Maverick Batt Light Stays On After New Alternator - elekie&a/c doctor

Looks like you need to go beyond the diagnostic system to test this system.What tests have been carried out?

Battery test, alt test under load, voltage test, all standard practice plus wiring inc length etc

If this is a smart alternator,then the charging voltage will default to around 14volts ,even if the electronic control circuit is not working.

Yes its a smart alternator, I have read elsewhere you need a calcium battery for these to work correctly but that does not make sense as never had this problem with old alternator, I guess as these are reconditioned there is a possibility that both have a fault?

Ford Maverick - Maverick Batt Light Stays On After New Alternator - Ianb26

I've just reconditioned mine, same car same year, same fault.

Did you ever get the fault fixed?