What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Hyundai i40 tourer 1.7 active 115ps - Reliability/Economy/Maintenance - GrommetComet

Hello everyone,

New member here, just thought I'd introduce myself and describe my vehicle and activities.

Being a private hire owner-driver, driving around 70,000 miles a year, and having bought my vehicle new in may 2014, I hope I can provide some useful general information about reliability and economy.

My work involves only airport runs between the south coast and heathrow/gatwick, and therefore consists typically of between 2 and 4 return runs a day, journeys of usually 80/90 minutes, almost exclusively on motorway/dual carriageway/A roads.

Having bought the car new, and put it to work on 19th May 2014 with 120 miles on the clock, it now has 38,500 miles on the clock (17-12-14).

Despite the high mileage existence, the car actually lives quite a privelaged life...

One cold start a day, time to warm up properly, then almost its entire day at 70mph in 6th gear. As I pay all the bills on the car myself, I choose not to cut corners....

I never let the tank drop below half full, and almost exclusively use premium diesel, either Shell V power, or equivalent. I am not ''dissing'' other fuels, but I want as little downtime/workshop time as possible during the car's lifecycle, and want to keep the injectors/fuel pump/dpf/fuel tank as clean as possible, and in the case of the tank, free from condensation/moisture/bacteria.

On fuel economy, the car consistently returns low-50's mpg, which I am more than happy with, and occaisionally reaches low 60's. An interesting point being that my best fuel return on a work journey has actually been when the car has had a full load of myself, four adult passengers, four full-sized suitcases, and four items of hand luggage.

The good fuel returns on that occasion being due to making an extra effort to drive smoothly with the extra weight onboard.

I only use the onboard computer as a guide, my fuel figures coming from starting and finishing the day with a brimmed tank, after 300-400 miles, and working it out from there.

As for reliability, well, i40's are no strangers to gearbox/clutch problems, and I was aware of this before purchase. I was also aware, having waited and watched many other drivers running these vehicles as town taxis for 18months, that the problems appear quite early in the car's life, and once the dealer gets the car in and does the fix, the problem seems to be cured. I am guessing there is maybe a known fault in production, but rather than doing a full recall, Hyundai are waiting for the cars to present with the problem, and then doing the fix. A bit cheeky I think, but more manufacturers seem to be adopting this approach recently... (I'm thinking injector failure on '06-'08 2.0tdi VW Passats with BPK engine code... I know, I had one!)..

Anyhow, in my case, the gearbox failed completely at 11,000 miles, and after 2 weeks at the main dealer, a new gearbox was sourced from somewhere in Belgium, and was fitted along with a new clutch kit. Since then, no problems at all.

Notwithstanding the above, the car in general has been fault free, and has only had routing servicing... Note... despite the 20k service intervals, the car has an intermediate oil and filter change every 10k. Also note that the car requires C3 spec oil, that is Low SAPS/Low ash oil... vital to prevent problems with the DPF.

Good news is... it has a timing chain, so as long as the oil changes are done regularly with decent oil as specified, and the engine isn't thrashed, no problems to be expected there!

Tyres: Someone on another thread here was saying that the OE spec Hankook tyres were rubbish.... I have had no problems with them, and have just had the original fronts replaced with the same OE brand/spec, at 38,200miles. The discs and pads are still all original, although I expect the dealer to reccommend new fronts at the 40k service.

Servicing costs are reasonable, as the dealer is keen to keep the taxi orders coming!

An oil and filter change, including engine flush and injector cleaner, is £69 incl,

although the standard price is £148 (which I would simply not pay!)

The 20k service was £148 incl. (but £249 at another franchise dealer up the coast).

Likewise, the 40k service is £199, and I expect, a lot more for Mr and Mrs Miggins.

Luckily, the 100k warranty will expire in about september 2015 at my current mileage use, so I will be off up the road for servicing and parts then!

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but I will keep you all posted as things progress. Please feel free to ask questions... I am not a mechanic, but have run cars to very high mileage for twenty years or so, and am mechanically sympathetic, so I may be able to give a few layman's tips.

Regards,

GrommetComet!

Hyundai i40 tourer 1.7 active 115ps - Reliability/Economy/Maintenance - Alanovich

Thanks for that, GC. It's a car on my shortlist for my next replacement (maybe next autumn) due to the chain cam engine. I'd be after an auto though, so no gearbox/clutch problems with that I presume.

When you want a large, diesel engined, non-premium (i.e. not a Merc or BMW, yuck) branded estate car with a chain cam engine, the list is short and depressing. SAAB 9-5 2.2 TiD is my car currently.

I could be tempted by a Peugeot 508 with belt cam as they are so cheap second hand, which compensates for the expense of belt changes, but I've been burnt in the recent past by a dodgy Renault Laguna (darned good chain cam diesel 2.0, hopeless electrics) and I am a bit wobbly on the French stuff for now.

Great to hear your Hyundai is doing so well. How do your passengers find the space/ride in the back seats?

Hyundai i40 tourer 1.7 active 115ps - Reliability/Economy/Maintenance - GrommetComet

Helli Alanovich, thanks for your comments... with regard the rear seats, so far the only comments have been complimentary, with particular praise from the occasional middle passenger, as there is virtually no tunnel intrusion, with a nearly flat floor.

Another good feature is the reclining rear seatback, only a few degrees, but enough to make a difference. Minor niggle is that the rear outer seatbelt sockets are recessed into the seat squab, but the centre belt socket is on a strap, and sits "out" on the seat, meaning at night, passengers naturally grab that one first, and are puzzled when it won't plug in. Not a problem on a family car, as users will quickly become familiar.

Big load area, but spoilt slightly by sloping rear window, and rear seat backs don't fold quite flat when lowered, although in practice this has not been a problem... (we have just moved house, and the car proved it's worth).

Just a quick add-on...I forgot to mention.... You say you are looking at getting an auto, so obviously the manual gearbox problems will be removed from the equation as you say, leaving what should be a reliable car. I would agree, as a friend has a higher spec diesel engined auto i40 tourer, and he has found no trouble with it.

An interesting point I picked up on while reading another forum, is that in just about every other market worldwide, the i40 is sold as an auto, with very few manuals being specified.

I do note from the brochure though, that there is a slight penalty in fuel comsumption, which suggests maybe the auto is not a particularly modern design???

I have had a manual 1.9tdi passat, then replaced it with a 2.0tdi auto(dsg), and it was a revelation... having driven plenty of autos in the past, I was astonished to notice, in real-world figures, that the DSG auto, despite being mated to a bigger, more powerful (140ps) engine, returned better fuel consumption figures than the 1.9 (105ps) manual, despite being around the same mileage/condition/use.

Regardless, the auto option would save you from having to deal with any of the silly manual gearbox/clutch issues that every user knows exists with the car, but the manufacturer appears to pretend does not.

One other note to consider... before buying a new hyundai of any persuasion, give the salesman a list of random replacement parts, and ask him to check and write down the delivery times for each part. Presumably he will not lie if he is writing the results down and signing his name on the information. You may be surprised. They appear, for instance, to order batches of clutch kits in bulk every couple of months, to avoid being stuck with a broken car and a three week wait for a clutch kit to make the voyage from Korea. Parts you would expect to be held in stock are frequently "Special Order"....

Even a touch-up pen has to be ordered. Maybe not all dealerships are the same, but if you are buying a new car with your own money, make sure you ask the questions, it may not be a deal-breaker, but it's still useful information to have on the table, at that special moment, the pause, while you look the salesman in the eye before signing the order form. I suggest maybe a glance from the blank dotted line, to the salesmans eye, then to the parts list delivery forecast, then back to the dotted line, and finally back to the salesman's eyes..... and.... hold! If the silence persists, then keep glancing back at the parts list! (Take as long as you need, it's your money!). I guarantee the salesman will crack first!

CG

Hyundai i40 tourer 1.7 active 115ps - Reliability/Economy/Maintenance - RT

Hyundai use conventional automatics, ie torque converter and planetary gears - there is a small fuel consumption penalty like all conventional automatics but these are modern designs and the penalty is minimised. The Hyundai 6-speed automatic used in the i40 is shared with bigger Hyundai's and is one of the most efficient 6-speed conventional automatics in the world - bar none.

DSGs are more efficient but the clutches may give issues, especially once they're out of warranty. Some owners complain about their lack of smoothness in traffic and there are big questions about their suitability for towing.

Honda are going down a different route, using DSG but ditching the clutches and using a torque converter, the best of both worlds.

From a personal point of view, I've noticed no untoward delay in obtaining parts - it's the big anachronism that the less reliable a part is, the more dealers will order it so have more in the supply chain - and vice-versa with more reliable parts!

It's a 6-week sea voyage from Korea but Hyundai gets 2-3 huge ships/week docking in the UK

Thanks RT,

What you say about the hyundai autobox is encouraging, I change cars every two years, and would love to get another i40 tourer, and, manual gearbox problem aside, the car has been a gem so far in every other respect. I personally don't mind a slight penalty on fuel consumption if the box is up to scratch and reliable, so having read your reply, I can see myself sticking with Hyundai, and going for the auto.

One last question.... the 1.7crdi engine is available in two power outputs in the manual version, 115ps and 136ps..... I'm guessing the auto is mated to the 136ps only?

That would make sense to me.

Thanks for your response,

GC

Hyundai i40 tourer 1.7 active 115ps - Reliability/Economy/Maintenance - RT

According to HJ's Car-by-car Review section, the automatic is only available on the 136 PS version.

A word of caution for anyone using search engines to look for issues on Hyundai automatics - the then-new 6-speed automatic was first available on the 2010 model year Santa Fe, which is built in America for America and Canada and Korea for the rest of the world - the first year's production in America, ie model year 2010, suffered badly with a gearbox issue finally traced to sub-standard assembly of the gearbox (in America) - almost every car sold was affected and received either a new gearbox or a fully reconditioned one. In contrast, the Korean-built versions seem to be proving very reliable as far as the gearbox is going although issues occasionally arise with the transfer box on 4wd Santa Fe's.

My caution is to check where any horror stories are coming from - but the same applies to any model, any brand, which is built in several places around the world.

Hyundai i40 tourer 1.7 active 115ps - Reliability/Economy/Maintenance - RobJP

Appears to be an exemplary way of running a high-mileage car.

Look forward to seeing the future, and any problems (or hopefully for you, a lack of them) !

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your post. I will definately be forthcoming with the good and the bad stuff, as it occurs... and despite being an owner-driver, I will attempt to be as impartial and accurate as possible. I have no axe to grind either way, if there are warts I will share them, if it shines, you will know! :-)

Regards..

Hyundai i40 tourer 1.7 active 115ps - Reliability/Economy/Maintenance - oldtoffee

Interesting and informative post, thank you.

So even though yours is a "for hire" Hyundai still offer full warranty cover. That's got to be a good reason to run one.

I'm tempted to a big estate as my next car and this will get onto the list.

Edited by oldtoffee on 18/12/2014 at 18:15

Hyundai i40 tourer 1.7 active 115ps - Reliability/Economy/Maintenance - Murielson

Excellent info on a car which is on my radar as a replacement diesel for a 75 mile each way (150 total) commute that I perform on a daily basis.

Also interested in anything else (make.model) you may have considered and discarded and (excuse this one) how is the taxi run business nowadays!!

Thanks for your comments....

In all honesty, I wasn't looking for a new car back in may.... I was getting out of regular private-hire work after 20 years, as, to put it bluntly, the "a***" had dropped out of the business... so I had been offered a position at an airport-only private hire company, a different propostition, where almost all the customers are corporate account holders, so no drunken students with kebabs, or urine-soaked debs looking for an argument with their taxi ride home!

So, I set off to look for a two-year-old VW Passat or Skoda Superb estate, both of which I'd driven as taxis, and rate very highly for durability, comfort, and reliability.

It became clear very early on, that these cars were still holding their value very well, and before comitting, I decided to widen my search with a "wild card" or two.... (enter Hyundai).

A lot of my friends had bought i40's since their launch, and I had heard that the local dealer was being very active in attracting the taxi trade over to the brand, and was doing some very good deals for taxi drivers.

A friend who had bought one six months previously took me along (only to get the £50 referral voucher if I bought one!).... however, being offered a pre-registered 8 day-old white i40 tourer with 12 miles on the clock for just £14250 on the road, with the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty, was simply too much to walk away from.

So, that's the story! I was looking for a passat or superb, and got seduced by a big discount on a Hyundai.... There, I've admitted it!

Hyundai i40 tourer 1.7 active 115ps - Reliability/Economy/Maintenance - Jay Ganji

Hi All,

A newbie to the group and car too

Have gone through the thread and like the positive and negative points. I am looking for a used car 2-3 years probably under 40-50K miles and family car. Would the car be a good one to buy ?

i have other brands in the list Volvo V40/ Cross country, BMW 3 series. both having 4-5 years as I am unable to find these in my budget. I was able to find a Hyundai though.

Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks

Jay

Hyundai i40 tourer 1.7 active 115ps - Reliability/Economy/Maintenance - badbusdriver

What is your budget?, what is your annual mileage?, what type of driving do you do?

Hyundai i40 tourer 1.7 active 115ps - Reliability/Economy/Maintenance - movilogo

>> Honda are going down a different route, using DSG but ditching the clutches and using a torque converter,

I thought DSG and DCT are same mechanism. If they are using Torque Converter, then how come it is still DSG?

May be they are just adding flappy pedals to electronically shifting gears only?

Hyundai i40 tourer 1.7 active 115ps - Reliability/Economy/Maintenance - Engineer Andy

>> Honda are going down a different route, using DSG but ditching the clutches and using a torque converter,

I thought DSG and DCT are same mechanism. If they are using Torque Converter, then how come it is still DSG?

May be they are just adding flappy pedals to electronically shifting gears only?

I thought Honda were only ever using torque converter (they can't be dual clutch types, but can have the flappy paddles to 'simulate' manual gear changes) gearboxes, the hated 'automated manual' ones (i-shift, which has been dropped) and CVTs, never dual clutch ones as far as I know.

Hyundai i40 tourer 1.7 active 115ps - Reliability/Economy/Maintenance - Manatee

Honda patented an 11 speed triple clutch gearbox in 2016, a claimed benefit being uninterrupted torque (though why that matters on a road car I have no idea).

I can't find any more description than that.