What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Focus MK1 1.6 Auto - Focus Auto noise/vibration. - Hatchet Wound

Hello,

I just wondered if anyone has any pointers as to why my Focus is acting weird. It seems to vibrate violently whilst driving, but only sometimes. The other day whilst reversing up a slight incline there wasa sort of sharp clicking noise at the front N/S. Iwas outside and saw the front wheel jerk. Today, my missus was driving it to work and it startied vibrating badly, so she stopped, put it in reverse, then back into Drive and it drove off normally.

I have pressed a new wheel bearing in the N/S hub. It has had new tyres on the front, new discs and pads as well. This car never gets cained, only driven gently. Does anyone think it might be the driveshafts C/V joints, or the actual gearbox? Although there is no noise from the gearbox and it goes through the gears nice and never slips out. There are also those solenoids in the box, but would they cause vibrations and a sharp snapping, I don't know.

This clicking noise is hard to explain, almost like teeth on a cog slipping, quite violent and does it at reversing up an incline at slow speed.

Cheers.

Focus MK1 1.6 Auto - Focus Auto noise/vibration. - Peter.N.

A failed or failing CV joint will make a clicking noise but its not normally intermittent but will do it when cornering. Check the rubber boot and see if its split, if so it would have lost grease and gained water.

Well, it is funny you mention the outer C/V joint as when I changed the wheel bearing and put new discs on I noticed that the Gaitor had lost its zip-tie and was hanging loose from the hub. I don't know how long it had been like that, it was still lagged in grease and didn't look as though it was particulary dirty. I re-seated it back onto the hub and put a new tie on it. Are they really that sensitive?

Concerning this sharp clicking noise, I saw the front wheel sort of jump as it was put into gear on the slope yesterday, like a jolt, as if it was taking up slop in a joint. The incline is quite muddy and the clicking noise is like a louder, more violent version of the traction control kicking in. The actual noise did seem to come from very near the actual wheel rather from in the gearbox.

Cheers.

I suppose this doesn't explain the violent vibrating that happens intermittently though. Also, it is the O/S/F (driver's side), not N/S that the noise eminates from.