What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Diesel 1.8 TDi 2007 - Erratic RPM and loss of power - Farooko

Hi All

I have a weired problem with my ford focus diesel. It is loosing power on acceleration. If I push the accelerator very very gently, the car does speeds up. But if I am, like overtaking, the car shudders, looses power and I can see the RPM needle erratic movement. Last night it did the same on the motorway and I had to pull on the hard shoulder. I called the AA and the guy told me that basically the clutch has gone.

I was thikning that if the clutch is gone than the rpm should go up with no gain in power? Please correct me if I am wrong. Do you think its the clutch/DMF problem? I havent felt any noticable change in gear shift, but it tends to struggle uphill sometimes?

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Cheers

Ford Focus Diesel 1.8 TDi 2007 - Erratic RPM and loss of power - Peter.N.

This is the one with an injection pump rathere than common rail? If so sounds as though you have air getting into the fuel system.

As you say if it was the clutch the revs would go up without any increase in speed, but the symptoms could point to the clutch. Try letting the clutch in with the handbrake on, if its OK it should stall the engine - if it doesn't its the clutch.