What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus2003 - Electrical power loss when turning key - mj187

The car has been running fine for the last 6 months since I bought it, however for the last month it has been randomly losing electrical power. The car has power & seems fine but when you turn the ignition the power shuts off like a dead battery. The battery has been checked & is almost brand new, so its defiantly not that.

If you open & shut the doors & boot the power comes back on, alarm & central locking then works as normal. This did manage to temp fix the problem & the engine wud start, but now the power shuts off every time. I've opened the doors & slammed them shut & power has come back to lock the doors but as soon as I try to start it, the power goes.

Any ideas of what it could be or the part that its causing the power loss? Plus wud it be something I could fix without taking it to the garage as I've got a Ford Focus (with body work damage) I can take the parts from.

Thanks

Ford Focus2003 - Electrical power loss when turning key - madf

"The car has power & seems fine but when you turn the ignition the power shuts off like a dead battery."

That does not adequately describe what is happening.

Is the engine on, and when you switch it off, it goes off?

I really don't understand what you describe..

Ford Focus2003 - Electrical power loss when turning key - mj187

The engine isn't on, I put the key in & turn it the power come on, dashboard radio etc. But when I turn the ignition to start the engine the power goes off. No dashboard, no power at all & no clicking or other noise.

If I open the doors or boot the power come back, light inside & clock on dash. Then I try the same process again but same result.

Ford Focus2003 - Electrical power loss when turning key - elekie&a/c doctor
If you are sure the battery is in good condition,then you need to look at the main battery leads to make sure they are clean and tight.also check the main earth lead where it bolts to the inner wing,again make sure there is a good connection with no corrosion.
Ford Focus2003 - Electrical power loss when turning key - Peter.N.

Connect a voltmeter across the battery, you should have about 12 volts before you try to start it, turn the key to the start position and if it doesn't start check the voltage, if it goes very low or to zero either the battery is faulty or more likely you have a bad connection in the battery circuit. If the voltage stays at 12 volts but nothing happens you could have a faulty ignition switch.