What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
ford fiesta - fixed penalty not appearing on system - allroundniceguy

I am looking for some advise about a messy situation I've inadvertently got myself into.

Around 3 Weeks ago I was stopped by the police, it turns unbeknownst to me the insurance had run out on my vehicle. Its due to a chain of regrettable events, my insurance company had contacted me to talk about a renewal, however I had been at work at the time and asked them to call back, they never did. I stupidly assumed it had renewed and carried on, I had completely forgotten that the company had my old address on their records so all correspondence had been sent to them.

When I was stopped by the police, they advised that I was going to be fined £200 and would be contacted by a local police office within 14 days (I was stopped in a different city). To this date I have received no correspondence and unfortunately have managed to lose the ticket.

I contacted the fixed penalty office and they advised me that there are no points on my licence, I have also checked on the DVLA website, and it has stated that there are no endorsements on my record.

The operator on the fixed penalty line said that the fine should have been for £300 and not 200 and its possible that they issued the wrong fine and subsequently cancelled the ticket.

I'm preying this is true, but am worried that I've missed something, and am concerned that if I leave it at that I will incur prosecution and even a driving ban.

At the same time I don't want the case to be reopened by digging around too much, it really was a genuine mistake and I need my vehicle (and ideally an affordable insurance premium).

I don't want to break the law any further; I'm not a criminal, just a bit of a scatty person. my vehicle is now fully insured and I just want to get on with my normal life.

Any advice will be warmly received as this is causing me and my partner considerable anxiety.

(Edit - one thread is enough on this. Please use the other one if you want to comment.)

Edited by Avant on 15/10/2014 at 01:07

ford fiesta - fixed penalty not appearing on system - martint123

Are your sure your registration document and driving licence have the correct addresses on them?. If so, then I'd just sit and wait.

If either are your old address like your insurance was, then correct them immediately and write to the plod concerned.

What seems to be happening recently is that the DVLA will cancel a licence if it is not returned to have points put on it. You need to avoid this happening.