What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Deep throaty Rover - spike
AS YOU PROBABLY ALL KNOW BY NOW I HAVE JUST BROUGHT A 1991 ROVER 416GTi, NOT BEING FAMILIER WITH IT I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS.

IT SEEMS VERY GUTLESS AND SLUGGISH ON ACCELERATION
IT HAS A REAL THROATY SOUNDING GROWL WHEN DRIVING IT
AND WHEN TRAVELLING AT 70 MPH IN 5TH GEAR IT SOUNDS AS THOUGH I REALLY SHOUD CHANGE GEAR AS ITS REVVING LIKE HELL

IF ANYONE CAN SHED SOME LIGHT ID BE GRAETFULL, ALSO, DOES INJECTOR CLEANER REALLY WORK????

1) Please don\'t post the same thing in both Discussion and Technical Matters. Its pointless and wastes people\'s time. In addition, this is a subject for Technical Matters so I have deleted it from Discussion.

2) Please use mixed case. All upper case is regarded as shouting and not polite on the web.

3) Meaningful titles will tend to get you help much more quickly.
Thank you.

Mark.
Deep throaty Rover - Mark (RLBS)
Does it have a rev counter ? If so, what are the revs at 70mph ?
Deep throaty Rover - Jonathan {p}
Rover 214 K Series

Manual Gearbox 'R65'
Gearbox code 5C 39W
Gear ratios
Fifth 0.854 : 1
Fourth 1.054 : 1
Third 1.333 : 1
Second 1.947 : 1
First 3.417 : 1
Reverse 3.583 : 1
Deep throaty Rover - Toad, of Toad Hall.
My 416i behaves exactly as yours toghether with shed loads of induction noise.

Relax and enjoy it.
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Rev counter is at around 3,000 at 70mph
Sorry everyone i'm new to the web aswell, I didn't realise that upper case is regarded as shouting.
Thankyou Mark for pointing these things out to me and thanks toad for your advise
One last question....Does injector cleaner really work or is it just an expensive gimmick????
Deep throaty Rover - Dynamic Dave
One last question....Does injector cleaner really work or is
it just an expensive gimmick????

Mate who used to work for Saab always recommended Wynn injection cleaner to their customers whose cars were diagnosed as having partially blocked injectors. Most of the time this worked instead of an expensive strip/replacement of injectors.
Deep throaty Rover - NeilT
The 416GTi has the 130bhp Twin cam engine, and therefore should have a fair amount of poke. Further more, my grandmothers 416SLi Auto (111bhp Single can version) is quite smooth on the motorway, although can sound like it needs an extra gear at 80ish.

One problem I have heard of on these engines is a small electriacl box on the distributer packing up, apart from this the Honda engine used in the 416 models should do 150,000 miles no problem.

Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150
Deep throaty Rover - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Interesting.

I've been told by one dealer the GTi indicates twin cam 16v while the GSi indicates Single cam 16v.

A second dealer denied this. Who's right?
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Deep throaty Rover - NeilT
Thats in no way correct. It is just a coencidence that the 416Si, SLi & GSi have single cam, and the GTi has twin cam. Look at the whole R8 Range (200/400 1989 - 1996) and it doesn't make sense.

The 214/414 (Rover K-series) has twin cam and is available in i/Si/SLi & GSi trims. The 216GTi was available in Both single cam (111bhp) and GTi TC (130bhp). The 220 is available in SLi/GSi and GTi trim, all had the wtin cam T-series Rover engine.

The problem with dealers is that they often say what they either think is correct, or what soulnds good to the customer. When you try and put them right a whole load of bull s**t often comes out of their mouth....

...ok, not all dealers are like this, but I have come accross the odd main dealers that do this and I normally walk straight out the garage..

Hope this helps...

Neil T
SEAT Leon TDi 150