What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Nissan Pathfinder - Freelander 2 or Nissan Pathfinder - Ashley Line

Dear All,

I am looking to buy either a Land Rover Freelander or a Nissan Pathfinder,

My budget is around £7-8k,

What are peoples thoughts,

My concern is the size of the Freelanders Boot, current car is a MK1 Ford Kuga which is too small with a dog, and luggage etc!

Any comments welcome,

Thanks

Nissan Pathfinder - Freelander 2 or Nissan Pathfinder - skidpan

Go and look. If the Freelander is too small don't buy it. To even consider it woud be crazy, going from a car that you admit is too small to another that is too small would be total stupidity.

Why do you need a 4 x 4. Most estates will give you more space than most 4 x 4's with far better access. Also way more economical and in winter simply stick on 4 snow tyres and leave the 4 x 4's stuck in a ditch.

Nissan Pathfinder - Freelander 2 or Nissan Pathfinder - RT

If you do need a 4wd with a big boot, try the Hyundai Santa Fe - about the same internal space as a Discovery but half the price.

Nissan Pathfinder - Freelander 2 or Nissan Pathfinder - Ashley Line

Yes I need a 4x4 as live very rural in Yorkshire....so 4x4 is essential, it will be used. We have a skoda estate, but it is too low, and he boot is not high enough, so although is has a good boot depth the height, as with all estates, is too small.

Nissan Pathfinder - Freelander 2 or Nissan Pathfinder - gordonbennet

Pathfinder, whilst i liked it, managed to go into limp mode on test drive, SWMBO hated the drive of it, we ended up buying a Hilux which we both liked, if anything She more so.

Another suggestion could be a Subaru Outback, good sized estate, higher than most car derived estates, Tribeca higher still though aesthetically questionable, choice of engines and transmissions in Subaru, whether you'd get a Diesel in budget i don't know, likely to be more reliable than the two mentioned in the OP, and just as rugged, petrol Outback probably as economical as Pathfinder Diesel...better if LPG'd as ours is.

Santa Fe a good suggestion, also consider previous model Sorento.

Nissan Pathfinder - Freelander 2 or Nissan Pathfinder - Sulphur Man

Mk2 Nissan X-Trail (T31) has a very big boot. An 07-08 example might be within budget

Nissan Pathfinder - Freelander 2 or Nissan Pathfinder - DavidGlos
I've got a 2007 Freelander 2 and a golden retriever! Boot isn't the biggest, but Ted seems happy in there. Gets a good view out too, with decent windows on both sides. Bought ours (TD4) in 2009 with 11,000 miles on it. Now showing 70,000 and aside from an annual service, my only other expense has been a set if tyres. Still on the original discs and pads, though I have to concede that these will need replacing soon and a further set of tyres is on the cards.

I was a bit worried about Land Rovers reliability reputation before we bought, bt it has been no trouble at all. According to the trip computer I'm getting around 39mpg, though I have to concede that I tend to set the cruise control to 60-65 mph and take it easy.

As an earlier post stated, do make sure the boot is big enough though!! We discounted a mark 1 Kuga on account of the small boot.

Cheers