What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec - Unusual hot air/heating problem - Westpit

Hi all

Just bought myself a lovely little V reg banger for under 300 quid to get me to and from work.

All seems nice so far apart from the common hot air only from the dash issue.

I’m no mechanic but I have some decent tools, determination and I can also read, so I’m not too bad at simple stuff.

At first I planned to swap the heater control valve with an OE replacement, but after running the car for a couple of days now I’ve noticed that the issue is intermittent. Unlike other threads I’ve read on the www where the poster has either permanently hot OR permanently cold air, mine seems to only get stuck on hot half way through my commute to work which is about 10 miles.

The car itself seems fine, temperature gauge sits bang on the centre point, never a mm past that, even after thrashing it up and down the motorway for a bit.

I've checked the hoses and wiring - nothing obvious there.

I'm not too bothered with a Yorkshire winter around the corner for me, but if it makes it though it's next MOT in April without too much work, I'm personally in for the hottest British summer on record.

For what it’s worth, the car has been pretty well looked after and has only done 71k.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Westpit on 12/08/2014 at 12:00

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec - Unusual hot air/heating problem - skidpan

Had this happen twice on my Puma. First time it stuck on cold in the middle of winter and it was the valve, simple replacement. Second time the valve was fine but it was stuck on hot in the middle of summer. Diagnosed as the dash control which I was told was more expensive and complicated.

Simply clamped the pipe and it was like that when I sold the car, Buyer was made aware if the problem.

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec - Unusual hot air/heating problem - Westpit

Thanks for the info.

Although mine is slightly different in the fact that it seems to function as normal from a cold start. It blows cold when it should and hot when it should (after the system has warmed up of course). So the dash control seems to be working fine. It's only after a few miles that it will only blow hot...