What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2009 honda crv 2.2 ctdi - engine oil in air filter box - re59vom

Can anyone tell me why the air filter housing is getting engine oil inside it on the engine side of the filter.The car has only done 45375miles ,and only serviced by honda cardiff.. I have taken the car back to honda with a high pitched noise coming from the turbo only to be told they all do that.(the noise i mean), i only discovered the oil when going to change the air filter today. Could there be a problem with turbo oil seals, or engine breathers being at fault.Any advice would be welcome as i predict i will have a fight in my hands to get honda to admit to a fault.I would like to get it sorted as there are only 4 months left on the warranty.And would struggle to find the money to replace something like a turbo which would no dought cost a fortune. Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on the matter. Gareth.

2009 honda crv 2.2 ctdi - engine oil in air filter box - Peter.N.

It depends how much oil you have in the intake system, there will always be a little because its part of the breather system, it often leaks out through the joins in the air pipes if the clamps are not tight but it should only be a film of oil, if its sloshing about then you have a problem.

The oil won't be coming from the turbo as that's down stream of the filter, it will be coming from the engine. Turbo's do make a high pitched whistle by default, they are rotating extremely fast, but not everyone can hear it, depends largely on your age, get someone else to listen to it and see if they think its excessive. Try and have a ride in a similar car and see if you can hear it.

2009 honda crv 2.2 ctdi - engine oil in air filter box - gordonbennet

Hmm i don't like the sound of that either, haven't found oil, other than a film as Peter mentions, for years, and then it seldom reached the filter housing, had it twice previously, once was serious wear due to previous neglect therefore crankcase blow by (so hardly likely in your case) which saturated the filter, second was a blocked engine breather, also neglect.

Might be worth a browse on the Honda forums, maybe there's a breather that needs cleaning/replacing.

Without hearing the sound of the turbo its difficult to comment, i personally like the sound a turbo makes when its spooling up.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/07/2014 at 09:43

2009 honda crv 2.2 ctdi - engine oil in air filter box - xtrailman

All diesel engines do this.

I had the crimp type intercooler on a T30 Xtrail that dripped oil, after 6 years the turbo was still running, my son had the car after me.

Edited by xtrailman on 06/07/2014 at 22:43

2009 honda crv 2.2 ctdi - engine oil in air filter box - focussed

I've got a Civic with that 2.2cdti engine and I can hear a faint turbo whistle, usually when it's cold-seems to go away when warmed up- no oil in airbox though.

2009 honda crv 2.2 ctdi - engine oil in air filter box - gordonbennet

All diesel engines do this.

What, fill the airfilter box up with oil?