What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - thirts

I am looking buying a newish car - my short list is Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris and Ford Fiesta 1.0T

I can't help thinking the Fiesta ticks more boxes, however my over-riding concern is log term reliability, and I'm unsure how good new 1.0T engines from Ford will be over the long term. Long term to me is 8-10 years with lots of short stop journies. When it comes to quality and Customer Service I have found that Ford are OK only when compared to Honda and Toyota

Obviously a failute on the turbo I would assume is very expensive, and as I believe the turbo on the Ford is water cooled, and falure in the cooling system would be catastrophic for the turbo. I will expect to own this car way beyond the warrenty period

Therefore does anyone have any thoughts about the long term reliability of Ford's 1.0 T engine?

Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - Cyd

The biggest problem with turbos is the drivers. People who blast off from a cold start or turn off a hot motor quickly.

There's plenty of advise on here on how to care for your engine and turbo. Look at the FAQ section.

And don't let the oil go 2 years without a change!

Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - mss1tw

The biggest problem with turbos is the drivers. People who blast off from a cold start or turn off a hot motor quickly.

There's plenty of advise on here on how to care for your engine and turbo. Look at the FAQ section.

And don't let the oil go 2 years without a change!

I often wonder why they spend as much time making Bluetooth enabled cupholders or whatever makes modern cars worth the expense, when for a small cost they could program the ECU to do the warm up for the most clueless of drivers. Limit rpm, throttle opening, detect labouring engine and electrocute the driver till they change down a gear, etc.

True that would cut the remote controlled glovebox budget, but long term reliability would go up. People will still tar the 10 year old car that breaks down because of their lack of care with the "It's a xxxx, what a pile of rubbish" brush

And as for not using the huge multifunction display to cajole or bully a driver into a damn service...

Hmmm...bit off topic. Sorry.

Edited by mss1tw on 05/07/2014 at 22:28

Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - A. Badger

I've looked at a Fiesta recently and have exactly the same concerns. Logic suggests that however advanced techniology has become in, say, the past 10 years, getting that sort of performance out of a three cylinder enginer must be stressing something. I haven't been able to convince myself that it's a good long term prospect.

Then again it is so much nicer to drive than the Jazz!

Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - daveyjp
The very early smart cars, 699cc with a turbo had an annoying habit of burning out valves on cylinder 1. It was sorted eventually, but early adopters were the test bed, just as Ford owners are for the 1.0 T.
Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - Wackyracer

I'm not a great fan of 3 cylinder engines, I've noticed that a few of them fail with burned valves and some with rather short life spans.

I'm sceptical about the life span of the Ford Ecoboost engines.

Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - P3t3r

I'm not a great fan of 3 cylinder engines, I've noticed that a few of them fail with burned valves and some with rather short life spans.

Not all of them though. The 1.0 Aygo/C1/107/IQ/Yaris engine is very reliable, performs well and has good fuel consumption too.

Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - Avant

The Fiesta can be had with other engines: I don't think the 1.25 has a turbo, does it?

Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - gordonbennet

The above posts by Cyd and Mss1tw should be moulded into to the dashboards of every new car.

The warm up cool down routine coupled with common sense (oil and filters are cheap, engines and turbos are not) maintenance will see most cars run for donkeys years without the slightest problem, coupled with a bit of sensible underbody care when the salt is down are the keys to a durable long life.

Edited by gordonbennet on 06/07/2014 at 10:23

Gordenbennet - what you say is true, however management (my wife) will be the main driver and she consdiders that the Accelartion,Clutch and Break peddles are on/off switches

The Fiesta can be had with other engines: I don't think the 1.25 has a turbo, does it?

In the end I have gone for the ageing 1.25 engine. My heart wanted the 1.0 Turbo, but my head was off the view that it is a very complex engine, and perhaps I should give it a few more years to prove itself.

Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - barney100

I think we spend too much time worrying over the engine and wether it will last the course or not. I've only ever once in many years motoring managed to blow an engine. Viva HB in the 70's.....that car is still on the road too. Electrical bits seem to cost me the most these days.

GB has touched on something. Those of us who are old enough to remember what turbo's did to oils back in the early days of turbos will agree large mileages between oil changes are not a good thing, Especially on turbo charged engines.

As has been said, building turbo timers into the ECU's would be a good plan but, Then they wouldn't be selling many turbos a few years into the cars life.

Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - Falkirk Bairn

New Jazz due next year....wait for that time or maybe there is a deal to be done on the run out models of the current model. Instead of rushing why not take time to see where a deal can be done.

Trailing edge technology buying in computers, cars, phones etc etc can be rewarding - the prices are lower and the bugs have been fixed.

48 yrs ago my first brand new car was an old model Ford. 20 months ago my current CRV was the outgoing model and cost me £20K Vs the new model listing at £31.5K.

Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - A. Badger

Point taken about the need for sympathetic treatment and the advances made in oil technology. However, the strains imposed on some of these moden engines are pretty phenomenal. I find it hard to believe we'll be seeing many 250,000 mile Ecoboasts in years to come.

The 'trailing model' plan works, certainly, My current Honda was bought like that and has been entirely satisfactory. Sadly, for my personal taste, the Jazz was just too much like a tin toy. A Focus, on the oher hand (also due for a facelift, I gather) might be an idea.. but proibably not wiith that 'lawnmower on speed' engine under the bonnet. Not until it's proved itself, at any rate.

Point taken about the need for sympathetic treatment and the advances made in oil technology. However, the strains imposed on some of these moden engines are pretty phenomenal. I find it hard to believe we'll be seeing many 250,000 mile Ecoboasts in years to come.

I wonder what will be the weak points of the ecoboost. Will it be the timing belt running in oil or the variable oil pump. Probably going to have some electrical gremlins somewhere in the lifetime of a car for sure.

Technology in cars is fantastic, The problem comes when garages can't fix them.

The 'trailing model' plan works, certainly, My current Honda was bought like that and has been entirely satisfactory. Sadly, for my personal taste, the Jazz was just too much like a tin toy. A Focus, on the oher hand (also due for a facelift, I gather) might be an idea.. but proibably not wiith that 'lawnmower on speed' engine under the bonnet. Not until it's proved itself, at any rate.

When I bought one of my cars new, The engine it was fitted with was about to be phased out after a very long production run. It has paid off as I have had no premature failures and parts for it are cheap if it did need them.

Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - Manatee

I couldn't reconcile myself to a three cylinder. The Mitsubishi Colt and the Citroen C1 I have had as loan cars became very wearing with their droning.

I don't have a problem with a turbo petrol, but I'd rather have a fourth cylinder than a turbo to make up for the absence of it.

The only compensating benefit is presumably the reason for it being used - 99g CO2 and no VED.

Ford Fiest 1.0T - Fiesta 1.0T plus other small cars - oldtoffee

Ford must be keen to shift some 1.0 turbos, drive the deal are offering £5,000 off a new Focus with that engine.