What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Road Noise - Tyres? - Dingle232

I finally took the plunge and bought a nearly new Hyundai i30 1.6 CRDi on Friday. I am generally delighted with the car with the exception of road noise at speed - it's absolutely awful. A few people have suggested that this may in part be due to the tyres which are Hankook Ventus Prime 2's.

Many on the Hyundai forums have recommended Conti Premium Contacts as being a good way to reduce this but I'm sceptical. Whilst I'd accept that certain tyres will reduce noise can I expect such a significant difference so as to justify the £300 ish it will cost? Or is that just marketing hype and I have a noisy car?

Road Noise - Tyres? - gordonbennet

Yes tyres can make a difference, especially if they are wide low profile things, but i doubt if OE new tyres would normally be fitted if they made such a racket...ah i see the car is nearly new, tyres do get noisier as they wear down.

Its more than likely road roar coming in through panels that have no sound proofing between the plastic trim and sheet steel, prime suspect the rear wheelarches, but could be from the rear floor and rear underseat or front bulkead, lots of other places too but these are main candidates.

Without getting into unecessary dismantling, try a simple test of covering the rear wheelarch areas both sides of the rear seat with some blankets or preferably a couple of old duvets, you could move things around and find where the bulk of the noise comes from.

When you've located the source(s) you can buy some very good self adhesive foam pads made specially for this problem quite cheaply, we've had a discussion on this not so long ago and a search for sound proofing might find it.

Edited by gordonbennet on 22/06/2014 at 22:06

Road Noise - Tyres? - Ethan Edwards

I have had those Continental tyres on a new Nissan Note and a new Toyota Yaris. I detest them. Harsh crashy ride and they dont last. I changed the Note to Falken Ziex 912 s and it transformed the ride. Cheaper than the Conti's they were very very good all rounders. Changed the car to the Yaris and yep back to the flippin Conti's. Just changed to Kumho Ecsta's and so far pretty good but not as good as the Falkens. Your call try looking on the net for some reviews. Personally I think the Conti's are over rated, under performing and way over priced. As for noise I dont believe there's that much difference between the Falkens Kumhos or Conti's.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 22/06/2014 at 22:12

I have had those Continental tyres on a new Nissan Note and a new Toyota Yaris. I detest them. Harsh crashy ride and they dont last. I changed the Note to Falken Ziex 912 s and it transformed the ride. Cheaper than the Conti's they were very very good all rounders. Changed the car to the Yaris and yep back to the flippin Conti's. Just changed to Kumho Ecsta's and so far pretty good but not as good as the Falkens. Your call try looking on the net for some reviews. Personally I think the Conti's are over rated, under performing and way over priced.

That's precisely my dilemma. Changing tyres will cost and I can actually get a new set of Michelins for cheaper than Contis but I simply don't know of they, or any others, will be any different.

Road Noise - Tyres? - RobJP

I'll ask the one question nobody else has as yet. What wheel size is on it ? I believe they can come with anything from 15" to 17" (with an option to go to 18") as standard, depending on the model and exact spec.

Road Noise - Tyres? - Cyd

I ditched the Conti Sport Contacts on my Saab for Goodyear Eagle F1 Assymetric 2s (non XL version) in size 235/45/17.

I can report that the Goodyears are far and away superior to the Contis in every respect except wear rate (they are wearing at about the same rate) and steering precision.

# much much much quieter
# loads more comfortable
# noticeably less rolling resistance (can lift off earlier)
# massive wet braking performance with huge ABS threshold
# superior wet traction (the TCS has less work to do on familiar roads)
# nice chunky rim protector to guard my black rims (which I had refurbed to black)

the original contis were XLs, so moving back to non XLs I expected a slight loss of steering precsion, which is exactly what I got, but the very small sacrifice was well worth the other benefits.

And they were cheaper! I can thoroughly recommend them, though Efficient Grips might be more appropriate for your chariot (my father has these on his 1 series, very similar characteristics but don't have the "ultimate" performance advantage).

We had Premium Contacts on a Rover 25 and changed to Yokohama Blue Earths (can't remember the model number), they were quieter and more comfortable too.

Thanks both. The tyre size on at the moment is 205/55 R16 so plenty of choice available and I am gonna have to make a call on it this week. What's slightly concerning is that SWMBO runs exacty the same tyres that are on my i30 on her Mk7 Golf and that's as quiet as a church mouse.

I am willing to give a change of tyres a go as long as there's some benefit but I don't just want to chuck money at it for no tangible improvement.

Road Noise - Tyres? - oldroverboy.

I had the same issue with the nexen n blu's on the cruze, (supposedly a lightweight construction) and after 2 blowouts in a short time fitted rotalla tyres, (softer sidewalls) and these are quite a bit quieter. And after 9000 miles now, bags of tread left!!!

The problem with the cruze compared to the Vauxhall astra is that there is less sound insulation. i must say in trying an i30 was not impressed with road noise at 70mph ish.

I had the same issue with the nexen n blu's on the cruze, (supposedly a lightweight construction) and after 2 blowouts in a short time fitted rotalla tyres, (softer sidewalls) and these are quite a bit quieter. And after 9000 miles now, bags of tread left!!!

The problem with the cruze compared to the Vauxhall astra is that there is less sound insulation. i must say in trying an i30 was not impressed with road noise at 70mph ish.

Interesting, sounds like it may be the car rather than the tyres then.

Road Noise - Tyres? - Manatee

How reliable they are is another question, but tyres do now have noise ratings.

If the link works, here is a search for tyres in that size in ascending order of noisiness.

goo.gl/awrmIG

I think these are drive-by measurments but you might expect that to bear some relation to the racket they make in the car.

The Hankook Ventus Prime 2 are rated at 70dB, and the quietest at 66dB. That's about 1/3 less sound energy if I understand it correctly (unlikely!) but the perceived difference in loudness will be rather less that that - but possibly noticeable.

I don't think I'd count on a miracle cure, but if it drives you nuts it might be worth looking at the noise rating when you have to change them.

Sound insulation on the other hand can make a big difference to a car especially if it hasn't much to start with.

There are also huge variations in road surfaces. There was a stretch on the M1 north of MK, northbound that was so bad I was convinced I had a disintegrated wheel bearing when I drove on it shortly after getting a new, unfamilar car.

Edited by Manatee on 23/06/2014 at 00:24

Road Noise - Tyres? - Hamsafar

As said, have a look at the EU ratings for driveby sound and try and get some below 69dB.

Some tyres' noise ratings vary quite a bit from size to size, which is another point to consider when getting recommendations based on people using different sizes on different cars.

Also look at the owner reviews on www.tyrereviews.co.uk

Edited by Hamsafar on 23/06/2014 at 16:09

Road Noise - Tyres? - Ed V

According to Which? magazine, the noise level is 4 stars (out of 5) testing a 128bhp 1.6 manual in 2012, and a level of 69 dB. The range I have seen is between about 66 (models like the S-Class Merc) and 72. Although it may seem only to be 6 points on 72 and only 8%, it is much more significant a difference (I'm told) than it looks on paper.

Anyway, it seems that this Hyundai i30 is at least average in quietness, and probably better than average if the new version has improved.

Can tyres really make that much difference, assuming standard, main marque summer ones?

Road Noise - Tyres? - daveyjp
A bonus of having two very similar cars is you can compare things like tyre noise. My B class has Michelin tyres and road noise is not an issue. My wife's A class is fitted with slightly narrower Pirelli P4s and the tyre noise is far more pronounced.

Well I have done a lot of research from Hyundai owners and tyre manufacturers in the last week and the general consensus seems to be that this car is ideally suited to the Contis so I am going to have a look at those when I need to change them.

As a complete digression I've noticed that the cooling fan seems to be on an awful lot. Could this be a case of how it's set and every car different (plus it has been very warm this week) or indicative of something that may need checking?

Road Noise - Tyres? - dan86

Have you been useing the air conditioning?

Have you been useing the air conditioning?

Yes I have, but also did on my previous cars without this happening?

Road Noise - Tyres? - Manatee

I can think of a few possible reasons for the fan running.

Some diesels (I am thinking of Peugeot but it could apply to others) use the fan and other high current consumers like rear window heating and mirror heating to provide extra engine load when regenerating the DPF. If you are doing a lot of pottering as opposed to decently long runs, the car may well be trying to regenerate the DPF repeatedly, possibly not actually completing the process. Most (maybe all) DPF equipped diesels need a regular decent run, half an hour or more.

It could just need the cooling. If your sedate driving is low speed or in congested traffic, there will be insufficient airflow over the radiator so the coolant temp will go up and the fan will come on.

If it is running on or switching on after switch off (and therefore after the water pump has stopped) it may just be heat continuing to soak into the water jacket and the hotter water convecting up to the coolant temp sensor, switching the fan on. I have had at least one car (diesel CRV) that would regularly switch the fan on as I walked away from it after parking up.

It could be low on coolant.

The fact that it is switching on and off is reassuring to a degree - the fan works, the switch works.

All speculation of course.

Road Noise - Tyres? - industryman

There is much confusion about tyre/road noise.

The tyre noise rating on tyre labels is a measurement of airborne tyre noise - this is a "drive-by" noise. Drive-by noise is heard by those outside as a vehicle passes by and is subject to limits imposed by environmental legislation. A major factor in tyre airborne noise is air being compressed in, and expelled by, the tread in the tyre's contact patch - it causes a "swishing" noise.

"Tyre noise" heard by occupants of a vehicle is mainly due to road surface texture. This causes a high frequency vibration in the tyres which is transmitted through the wheels to the suspension components and into the vehicle's body. Within the cabin this becomes a clearly audible noise commonly referred to as "road roar". The coa***r the road surface, the higher the roar roar. Different tyres will affect the level of road roar but the design of the vehicle matters most.

Vehicle noise measuements published in magazines and vehicle manufaturer's data include other noise sources (engine, transmission, wind, exhaust etc.). Tyre tests published in "Which" combine tyre noise measured inside and outside a vehicle into one (meaningless?) tyre noise rating. Data like this has little relevance for comparisons of road roar.

As tyre treads wear, the level of road surface vibration transmitted by them into the vehicle increases. In addition, any irregular tread pattern wear (eg. "sawtooth" wear) will produce another high frequency vibration. Hence worn tyres are worse for road roar. Consider this when reading tyre reviews by the motoring public. The most direct comparison we can make is when replacing tyres on a vehicle. Usually we replace worn out tyres with new. Can we really remember how the old tyres performed when they were new?

So if I understand you correctly then cahnging the tyres won't make any noticeable difference?

Road Noise - Tyres? - industryman

So if I understand you correctly then cahnging the tyres won't make any noticeable difference?

Tyres will make a difference to road roar but a "good" tyre will not cure a "bad" car. On the other hand, clever/expensive vehicle engineering will significantly reduce levels of road roar heard inside a car regardless of the brand/type of tyres fitted.

Road Noise - Tyres? - HandCart

Surely it can’t be beyond some Test House to create a rig to measure the non-airborne noise transmitted along an axle using a constant wheel and constant road surface (on a roller) at a range of speeds.

That way we could have some properly-comparable figures for the road-roar generated by various tyres.

Get to it, ‘Which?’ / TUV / whoever!

IIRC, aren’t European roads typically metalled with a smoother surface than the UK's? -Are there actually any car tyres designed/developed/tested using UK roads?

Road Noise - Tyres? - davecooper
Its funny because I was considering the i30 at one time and thought that they seemed to be one of the only people shunning the big wheel fashion and actually putting on a tyre with a decent profile. For this reason, I always thought they would have a good ride. However, I suppose you can have a comfortable ride but still noisy with it.