What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 2005 1.6 zetec. - Fumes inside car. - jonnyc500

After having some routine work done on my car i can now smell fumes inside coming though the air vents.

I had the car serviced, and fitted a new alternator and battery, before this there were no fumes.

During the service one of the spark plugs snapped below the nut, the garge could not take the remainder our without removing the head gasket so i drove the car to another garage with only 3 spark plugs to be repaired and have the alternator and battery fitted.

Has anybody had the same problem with the fumes or know what the problem could be.

Thanks in advance.

Jon.

Ford Focus 2005 1.6 zetec. - Fumes inside car. - Cyd

You don't state so explicitly, but hint that the head had been removed (there are ways of getting sparks out without removing the head though). If this is the case, it could be there is an exhaust leak at a joint that hasn't been put back together properly.

As you've driven the car on 3 firing cylinders only, you should change the oil as the oil in the sump will have been contaminated with petrol from the non firing cylinder.

Ford Focus 2005 1.6 zetec. - Fumes inside car. - jonnyc500

Thanks for that, the 2nd garage managed to get the plug out without taking the head gasket off.

Might change the oil again and see how that works out.