What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Accord - knocking noise - chanlfc

I was hoping for some advice. Took my Honda to a garage and told them that I could hear a knocking noise from the front of the car. They put it on the ramp and told me it’s not from the front but the back and it’s the anti-roll bars and bushes need replacing.

I was adamant that the noise was from the front, but they said verbally I can guarantee it that it’s the drop-links from the back.

I went ahead with the work and but the knocking noise is still there.

Went back to them for another assessment and they now tell me that it’s the driveshaft making the noise from the front. I told them that they charged me for work I didn’t need doing and the problem I came with was not resolved so am I in the right to ask for the driveshaft to be fitted now without a charge as I already paid them for something I did not need and did not fix the original problem?

Thanks

Honda Accord - knocking noise - elekie&a/c doctor
Is this a diesel ?
Honda Accord - knocking noise - 72 dudes

This is a tricky one.

In theory you entered into a verbal contract with the garage to solve a knocking noise from the front end, which they assured you was actually from the rear suspension.

In doing the work, you found that it was not, in fact, the rear suspension causing the noise as it was still present after the repair.

Certainly they should now go ahead and fix the knocking noise, which they now say is a drive shaft.

Were they negligent in misdiagnosing the fault initially? Probably not, as they must presumably have seen something that suggested the rear suspension was to blame.

The issue here within law is that you cannot be put back into a position where you are 'better off' than before any work was done. So no, you have no legal right to be reimbursed for the rear suspension repair

However, they did misdiagnose the fault, and I would be pushing for (a) the Labour cost for the rear suspension to be FOC or heavily discounted (i.e. you pay for the parts) and (b) A heavily discounted Labour rate for fixing the drive shaft.

This would seem to be fair to both parties.