What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A4 Avant 2004 1.9TDI - Diisplay Errors: Date, Time & Outside Temp - sniffypup

Would appreciate any advice on the following problem(s):

1. Car wasn’t used for 6 weeks – engine run at 2,000 rpm every 4-5 days to keep battery charged, except one period where it had to be left for 8 days. Car always started, battery sometimes sluggish, but not excessively so (it's never been a great battery).
  2. After the 6 week period, noticed the clock had lost time, and the following day, the date had reset to 13/8/2003 (presumably when the electronics were manufactured), time was 00.00 and the outside temperature was always low – varying between -5 degrees and 3 degrees.
  3. The next day, the time had recovered to its correct value, but the date & outside temperature were still wrong.

Car runs ok, and have yet to establish whether using the car normally will maintain the correct date & time. However, the outside temp is still wrong. All other parts of the display seem to work correctly.

Any ideas what the fault might be, and whether I can correct the outside temp display (I'm assuming its not the sensor as it would be wierd for that to fail simultaneously with the display problem)?

Any

Audi A4 Avant 2004 1.9TDI - Diisplay Errors: Date, Time & Outside Temp - elekie&a/c doctor

You really need the use of some diagnostic kit to verify the actual value of outside temperature.The outside temp info can be seen in instrument pod and climate control data.The temp value cannot be corrected,it is either right or wrong.hth

Audi A4 Avant 2004 1.9TDI - Diisplay Errors: Date, Time & Outside Temp - sniffypup

Thanks.

I was really seeking a pointer as to whether the failure / erratic behaviour of these three display items was a known problem with the A4, or whether it pointed to failure of a specific component. (A US site mentions similar, but not what the underlying failure might be, or how much it might cost to fix.)

In a lengthy run in the car today, the time display jumped forward 12 hours after only a few miles, and the outside temerature display didn't rise above 3 degrees. That is until I started the return journey, at which time the outside temp display started at 15 degrees, and then as I drove back along the M4, the display gradually reduced to 3 degrees! The reset of the time however, hasn't failed again. Goodness only knows what tomorrow will bring.

As I suspected, I'll have to resort to the garage and an (expensive) investigation fee.