What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW GOLF Mk VII SE 1.4 TSI - Top up oil for new car. - Judesman

I have taken delivery of my new Golf MK VII 1.4 TSI. I was surprised to see that the oil level was only half way between min and max on the dipstick. I want to get a spare litre of oil for top up purposes and the manual says I should use VW 502 oil. I just happen to have a litre of Esso Ultra 10W-40 Semi Synthetic unopened but has an expiry date of 04/2009. Would it be safe to use this or should I get some new VW 502. I know HJ says not to use Fully Synthetic in a new car but I have no idea what VW 502 is. Any thoughts please.

I originally posted this as a question to HJ but was told that I must post technical issues in the "Back Room". However HJ has now replied advising me to use VW oil during the warranty period.

VW GOLF Mk VII SE 1.4 TSI - Top up oil for new car. - Collos25

VW 502 oil is fully synthetic its marketed by umpteem different oil companies have a look on ebay there is a wide choice of prices and companies.

VW GOLF Mk VII SE 1.4 TSI - Top up oil for new car. - quizman

When you spend thousands of pounds on a new car why on earth skimp on oil???

Of course 10W-40 semi is not suitable for your car, why not google VW 502 oil and get that.

Would you eat food that had a eat by date of 2009?

Then folk say VWs are unreliable!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by quizman on 08/02/2014 at 16:43

VW GOLF Mk VII SE 1.4 TSI - Top up oil for new car. - focussed

Oil doesn't have a use-by date, it doesn't go off like fish fingers or burgers.

I did an oil change on one of my bikes last year using a 4 litre sealed container of Silkolene fully synth bought in 2002 - no adverse effects whatsoever.

VW GOLF Mk VII SE 1.4 TSI - Top up oil for new car. - Simon

Use the correct oil as specified by VW.

I do agree though on one thing, oil doesn't have a use by date especially from a sealed container.

Thank you for your replies. I am not looking to skimp on oil I just want to know the best oil to use to top up a new VW. My old MK IV was the best car I have ever owned. Eight years and not a thing went wrong with it.

Edited by Judesman on 08/02/2014 at 22:34

VW GOLF Mk VII SE 1.4 TSI - Top up oil for new car. - Andrew-T

Thank you for your replies. I am not looking to skimp on oil I just want to know the best oil to use to top up a new VW. My old MK IV was the best car I have ever owned. Eight years and not a thing went wrong with it.

In reality it probably won't make any difference to your car what oil you use, as long as it matches the VW spec. But on the slight offchance that you call on your warranty it's better to play by the rules of the game.

VW GOLF Mk VII SE 1.4 TSI - Top up oil for new car. - alan1302

If you are not looking to skimp then why are you wanting to use old, unsuitable oil? LOL

Just buy some of the right spec and use that.

VW GOLF Mk VII SE 1.4 TSI - Top up oil for new car. - Collos25

Oil doesn't have a use-by date, it doesn't go off like fish fingers or burgers.

I did an oil change on one of my bikes last year using a 4 litre sealed container of maybe it starts to Silkolene fully synth bought in 2002 - no adverse effects whatsoever.

Especially synthetic oil it probably starts to deterioate when its about 200 years old.

VW GOLF Mk VII SE 1.4 TSI - Top up oil for new car. - jc2

RTFM!!!!!!!!

VW GOLF Mk VII SE 1.4 TSI - Top up oil for new car. - slkfanboy

If you have don't plan to maintain/service the car correctly you may as well send it back and get an old banger, then you can save yourself the £15 the oil costs without worry!

Note to self don't buy a used car from him, really!