What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Ford Focus - Which Diesel Engine? - Rianp

I've recently started a new job with a long commute (130 miles daily). I've decided to replace my existing 1999 petrol A4 as it's way too un-economical for the mileage I'm doing.

Having looked at the options available within my budget, I'm pretty settled on looking for an 05/06 Diesel Focus. Now I'm just stuck on which engine to go for.

It looks as though there isn't much in it between the 1.6 and 1.8 litre engines in terms of economy and performance. I have heard some advice not to go for the 1.6 as the DPF can cuase problems. So I'm thinking the 1.8 could be my best option? However, as my daily journey is 90% motorway cruising, I'm wondering if the larger 2 litre would be reccomended? Does anyone have any advice on how much difference I would actually notice in terms of fuel economy and performance?

If you have any experience with these engines I'd love to hear your comments - and in particular what sort of mpg I can realiticaly expect for motorway cruising.

Ford Focus - Ford Focus - Which Diesel Engine? - skidpan

We had a 1.6 TDCi for 5 reliable years. It was a Euro 3 car so no DPF. When we swapped it we decided to try the 1.8 TDCi in order to avoid the DPF, hated it. Not as quick, noisy, like an old school engine (which it is). So we tried another 1.6 TDCi (with DPF), even slower. Tried another to ensure it was not us, exactly the same.

We bought a Kia Ceed CRDi, ours is a late 2010 car thus has a DPF (earlier ones didn't) but there are no reported problems with them. None have a DMF either (unlike the Focus). Its quicker, more refined, slightly more economical and bigger than the equivalent Focus and if you get one with a full service history (preferably Kia) you will get the remainder of the 7 year warranty.

Have a look, you will be surprised. Prices are very similar.

With regards to MPG on mostly M Way trips like your commute I would expect mid 50's out of the Ceed and probably near enough the same from the Focus 1.6. The 1.8 will be quite a bit thirstier.

Edited by skidpan on 05/02/2014 at 13:36

Ford Focus - Ford Focus - Which Diesel Engine? - Gibbo_Wirral

Can you remember what the recommended oil service intervals were on the two 1.6s you had Skidpan?

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 05/02/2014 at 14:05

Ford Focus - Ford Focus - Which Diesel Engine? - Rianp

Thanks Skidpan,

I'll definitely look into the Ceed.

I didn't realise that not all the 1.6 focus' would have a DPF. How would I know what to look for to find one which doesnt have it?

Ford Focus - Ford Focus - Which Diesel Engine? - skidpan

I didn't realise that not all the 1.6 focus' would have a DPF. How would I know what to look for to find one which doesnt have it?

All 110 PS models registered after 01 January 2006 will have a DPF. Ours was a 2005 car and they only fitted DPF's from the middle of that year.

90 PS models did not have a DPF, trouble is they are sloooooow.