What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta Saloon Mk 5 - 90/100W replacement bulbs for 55/60W - daughters_with_cars

Am wondering about replacing standard bulbs with 90/100W.

The alternator is 70A, fuses are 15A , if you switch from dipped to main momentarily both are on at 115W...

Wires themselves aren't that fat.

There's a lot of confusing information about legality, these are not blue and are E marked, and not sold as 'off-road only' ..

I'm more concerned about overloading.

Any advice??

Thanks

Ford Fiesta Saloon Mk 5 - 90/100W replacement bulbs for 55/60W - Peter.N.

100 watts will draw about 8.3 amps at 12 volts but with the engine running the voltage will be above that as will the current which could cause contacts to overheat. I do believe they are also illegal. I would go for good quality high output standard bulbs, some of them claim nearly double light output anyway. Don't use blue bulbs, they will considerably reduce the light output.

Ford Fiesta Saloon Mk 5 - 90/100W replacement bulbs for 55/60W - gordonbennet

Nip onto Eurocarparts today, sale ends today.

They have Osram Nighbreaker Unlimited (or whatever they are called) on half price offer @ around £17.50 a pair.

You might find the same price on the usual auction site, but i'd rather buy from a known reputable source.

I once put a set of 80/100s in my Sierra of the time, a few weeks later the dipswitch/indicator contacts got so hot they melted the surrounding plastic, not good.

Ford Fiesta Saloon Mk 5 - 90/100W replacement bulbs for 55/60W - elekie&a/c doctor

Fitting 90/100 bulbs is a complete waste of time.Light output is also governed by reflector design and the wiring circuit ability to carry the extra current.Headlight wiring on modern cars can just about cope with standard bulbsSo fitting these is not going to give you nearly twice the output..As above,stick with the Osrams.hth

Ford Fiesta Saloon Mk 5 - 90/100W replacement bulbs for 55/60W - RT

Headlight bulbs rated higher that 55W have been outlawed for road use throughout the EU, including UK, for many years - and totally unneccessary as there's a good selection of very high intensity 55w bulbs available - I use Philips Xtreme but the Osrams have good reports as well.

With modern plastic lenses you don't want any more heat in the lights !!

And a 70A alternator is puny by modern standards - many cars have 150A units these days and still struggle in winter around town!

Edited by RT on 02/02/2014 at 09:21

Ford Fiesta Saloon Mk 5 - 90/100W replacement bulbs for 55/60W - Doc

Headlight bulbs rated higher that 55W have been outlawed for road use throughout the EU, including UK, for many years

I can't find this in the lighting regulations. Perhaps you could direct me to the relevant clause.

Ford Fiesta Saloon Mk 5 - 90/100W replacement bulbs for 55/60W - RT

Headlight bulbs rated higher that 55W have been outlawed for road use throughout the EU, including UK, for many years

I can't find this in the lighting regulations. Perhaps you could direct me to the relevant clause.

It comes originally from an EU Directive, no idea which one - so it'll be in C&U as one of the many references to an EU Directive instead of wording it directly.

You might find it in LexisNexis Butterworths Stone's Justices' Manual - Part IV - good luck !

www.lexisnexis.co.uk/store/uk/Butterworths-Stones-...t

Ford Fiesta Saloon Mk 5 - 90/100W replacement bulbs for 55/60W - Doc

I had a look through the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 (SI 1989 No 1796) and can't come up with anything that limits the intensity of the headlights - only the colour and positioning.

If you look at part 9 of Schedule 5 it specifically says that intensity has "no requirement". Part 8 states that the wattage must be 30 watts minimum but doesn't specify a maximum.

Perhaps it is to do with the 'e' marking scheme, but I know you can get e marked bulbs that are 100w.