Ford Mondeo - Expected battery drain when standing? - allgoodthings

53 plate, 2.0 petrol hatchback Ghia

newly purchased car didn't start at first try, two days after buying! Trickle charged battery for 30 mins and all was well, and all well at next use. We don't drive every day unlike previous owner, but still need confidence that it will start.

we had been fixing the tailgate release button so lots of locking/unlocking, so it may just have been that. But was it?

Battery looks fairly new, don't mind replacing it but need to know what the problem is. Tried a meter when standing, but left door open and forgot it has footwell lights, meter with 250mA fuse blew. If my maths is right that needs 3W which seems reasonable that it could have been the light.

while I wait to acquire a new meter...does anyone know what the expected drain on the battery should be with the car standing and everything off?

not used to car with lots of gadgets, but I assume that it should still be expected to stand for at least a fortnight and still start. The old S-reg Mondeo waited four weeks in the freezing winter of 2010-11 and started first time after that. Am I asking too much of a modern car?

thanks for any help.

Ford Mondeo - Expected battery drain when standing? - elekie&a/c doctor
Mondeo models of this age generally do not suffer battery drains issues.Fortunately ,the electronics on these are fairly low tech,compared to current versions.I would expect a standing battery drain to be around 50ma or less after everything shuts down.You may struggle to find a cheap meter that is accurate at this low level.hth
Ford Mondeo - Expected battery drain when standing? - allgoodthings

very helpful, thank you! So it should certainly last longer than 2 days..

hopefully it is just the battery but investigations continue.

Ford Mondeo - Expected battery drain when standing? - Cyd

OEMs are looking for sub 20mA quiescent current. Bear in mind this is when the vehicle is fully "asleep", which may not happen untill 30 mins after it has been locked up.

If the battery was flat and you've only trickle charged it for 30 mins then you are essentially running around with a virtually flat battery constantly. It's probably got just enough charge to keep starting the engine and it's just about being replenished after each charge.
Take the battery off and charge it indoors (in the warm) for at least 24hrs.

Once charged, disconnect the harnesses to each injector (or otherwise cut the fuel so it can't start). Crank the motor for 1 minute: the battery voltage should remain around 11 or 12 volts for the duration. if it dops to 10 or less then the battery has pretty much had it.

Locking system would take years to drain a new battery on it's own!!