What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe - 2010 (60) - Advice on Engine Size & MOT advisories - Marklew

Hello

I test drove a E220 SE, I was underwhelmed by the performance (maybe not a good example I drove, but it only had 28,000 on the clock?) compared to the C Class Executive SE (2 litre) I had previosly (the drive was pretty much the same, I was expecting (maybe wrongly) more from the model up thats an extra £6k for an equivalent C Class Exec SE.

Can anyone with experience please advise regarding the options - e.g. difference and recommednations between 220 and 250, obviously the 350 would be better, but that bit of extra performance for the money and reduced fuel econmoy is not worth it for me.

Also I asked re advisories on the MOT and was advised the following:

There are 3 advisories on the mot expiring 7 th dec14

Both front wheel bearings slight play and a tyre

Tyres we would have done here and the bearings we would look at for you and replace if required

Is this something that is a big deal? Or that should be happening on a car that is under 3 years old and only has 28,000 on the clock, or is it an idication that it has been driven hard, has underlying problems or could be a false mileage?

Thanks

Mark

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe - 2010 (60) - Advice on Engine Size & MOT advisories - Collos25

Is not the 220 a diesel and the 200 a petrol slightly different cars I think.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe - 2010 (60) - Advice on Engine Size & MOT advisories - Marklew

There is a 220 and a 250 diesel engine, I'm not very techincal, so wondered what the difference was and if the 250 is worth more to me than the 220 to justify the additinal cost.

Also the main worry (again I'm not techincal) is the 'slight play' in the front wheel bearings. Not sure if this is something that cars experience regularly (as I don't believe I have ever had to have these replaced in any of my previous cars, and for a 2 1/2 year old car with 28k on it I would think this is not a consumable item like tyres, brake pads etc?

The car also steered to the left a bit, which got the standard dealer response of 'I'll check the tracking at the same time' again, not sure if all it means is the tracking and balancing needs completing or if something more sinister linked with the bearing issue?

This a big investment for me and apart from the usual annual servicing costs and consumables, I don't want to be (or think I should have with 'Mercedes-Benz quality') have any major issues for the next few years driving.

Thanks

Mark

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe - 2010 (60) - Advice on Engine Size & MOT advisories - madf

So you are looking at a car with more than one fault and the seller does not want to lnow?

Imagine how keen he will be to help after he has sold you it and something else goes wrong. ?

I would never go near the dealer again. Lots of Mercedes for sale.. the dealer is an illegitimate offspring.

Edited by madf on 14/01/2014 at 17:45

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe - 2010 (60) - Advice on Engine Size & MOT advisories - barney100

Friend has just got a 350 diesel and he reckons it really goes.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe - 2010 (60) - Advice on Engine Size & MOT advisories - daveyjp
28,000 in a diesel over more than three years isn't enough, diesels thrive on mileage and hate low mileage and pootling about as they never get warmed through.

A similar car with 50,000+ miles would probably drive a lot better. Remember the E class coupe is actually based on the C class chassis.
Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe - 2010 (60) - Advice on Engine Size & MOT advisories - Avant

In fairness the dealer seems to be willing to sort the faults.

But if you're underwhelmed by the performance of an E220, don't buy. The E-class os a bid, solid, heavy car and that isn't a very big engine. Either go for a C-class if you don't need the extra space, or look for an E with a bigger engine. Because it won't have to work so hard to gve reasonable performance, economy shouldn't suffer much.

Personally if I were going to spend a lot of money on a Mercedes, I'd look for one with six cylinders every time.

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe - 2010 (60) - Advice on Engine Size & MOT advisories - skidpan

Cannot really understand why the OP needs to asjk the question.

He has found a car with potential issues that is probably quite expensive, walk away, there are plenty more cars.

He cannot make his mind up about which model, well try other brands, they may suit him better.

Thanks for feedback everyone - for info actually ended up with an A5 coupe S line special edition 2ltr petrol. Some what different, but hopefully will lead to 3/4 years of fun, hassle free driving!

Although I don't seem to have much luck with cars, so fingers crossed!

Mercedes-Benz E-Class Coupe - 2010 (60) - Advice on Engine Size & MOT advisories - Sulphur Man

Well youve bought petrol, and its a proven engine which shone in the MKV Golf, so reasons to be optimistic!

Enjoy