What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo - Radiator Issues - Rev's Drop Causing Car To Stall - AndyLF

Hi All,

I really need some help. My car seems to be suffering at the minute and I have a feeling what may be causing it but dont know how to resolve it. Basically I have a ford mondeo 2.0 zetec 2001 petrol. I put some water in the radiator tank yesterday as it was running low. I then went on a drive for about 15 minutes and I could hear the radiator fan going berzerk, funny knocking noises where coming from the engine, my car war starting to over heat which was then causing my car to stall everytime I went to slow down. I've drove the car to work this morning which takes me 10 minutes and I'm experiencing the same problem. I did have this issue on new years eve and I took it to a mechanic and he said it was the coils in my engine which he replaced. The mechanic charged me £120 and said that the problem has been sorted out. Within a hour of driving the car away from the garage, the same problem had arose again. I'm really stuck with this as I dont get paid until the end of the month, I cant get an emergency loan so I'm stuck

I'm no mechanic but if there is anything I can do to resolve this then I will give it a go.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Ford Mondeo - Radiator Issues - Rev's Drop Causing Car To Stall - madf

Thermostat jammed shut - engine boiling hence teh noises.

or failed water pump.

Ford Mondeo - Radiator Issues - Rev's Drop Causing Car To Stall - Armitage Shanks {p}

Change your mechanic! I don't know much but I wouldn't change "Coils" for an overheating problem!

Change your mechanic! I don't know much but I wouldn't change "Coils" for an overheating problem!

I was thinking the same thing and I'm no mechanic but because he is 'apparently' an expert in his field of work, I just thought I would trust what he was saying and hope that he fixed the problem. I couldn't of been anymore wrong plus I'm now 120 quid out of pocket which i'm not too happy about as I have a baby on the way, so that money could of been spent on things for the baby.

Ford Mondeo - Radiator Issues - Rev's Drop Causing Car To Stall - artill

plug mounted coils do fail when they get too hot, so maybe the overheating engine had cooked the existing coils. Still doesnt excuse not finding the other faults though

How do I unjam the thermostat? any ideas?

Ford Mondeo - Radiator Issues - Rev's Drop Causing Car To Stall - mss1tw

You don't, you buy a new one.

Ford Mondeo - Radiator Issues - Rev's Drop Causing Car To Stall - elekie&a/c doctor
Replacing the thermostat on one of these is a massive job.if you are not a handy DIY person,then leave it to a competent garage .
Ford Mondeo - Radiator Issues - Rev's Drop Causing Car To Stall - Armitage Shanks {p}

Did duff coils cause the overheating or result from it!

Did duff coils cause the overheating or result from it!

I couldn't say whether they where duff coils or not but one thing I do know, this issue started happening before the coils where changed and now they have been changed it's happening again.

Replacing the thermostat on one of these is a massive job.if you are not a handy DIY person,then leave it to a competent garage .

I have a haynes manual, plus my partner's step father is quite handy when it comes to DIY so I spoke to him last night and he said he would be able to change it as he's done it before on one of his cars.

You don't, you buy a new one.

I thought that would be the case after doing a bit of research on it.

I just want say thanks for the advice as it's appreciated. My partner is picking up a thermostat today so that I can get the repairs done tomorrow. I will update this post once the work has been done. Cheers guys

Ford Mondeo - Radiator Issues - Rev's Drop Causing Car To Stall - hardway

Sorry but if you came in to me with that tale of woe the first thing I'd be checking is the head gasket.

Sorry for the late update, I had to wait for my thermostat to be delivered as it was ordered online. Anyway, the thermostat was installed on Saturday but I still have the same problem. Also when i top up my radiator tank with water, it started leaking from some where behind or by the thermostat. I did buy some radiator sealer to see if that would stop the leak which it has almost stopped it completely.

Below are the main problems I'm experiencing with the car:

• Engine over heating after doing 3-4 miles driving
  • Rev counts drop below 400 when slowing down to a junction which then causes my car to cut out.
  • Water leaking by rubber belt/thermostat
  • When driving, the car jerks every now and then
  • You can hear a knocking coming from under the bonet when driving
  • You can also hear hear knocking noises coming from the radiator vents within the car when I have the heating on.
  • Car is in limp mode as a result of it struggling.

Things i've done and tried so far to sort out the problem but with no joy:

• Took it to the garage so a mechanic can check it out. He ran it through the diagnostics and it was showing a fault with the coils (I dont know the error code it was showing). I gave him the go-ahead to change the coils as he was certain that it would resolve the problem. Within a hour of driving my car away from the garage, the same problem arose again
  • After placing my problem on here, it was suggested that it was my thermostat could be locked hence the reason for the car over heating etc. I was advised to replace the thermostat with a new one. I did this and still no change.
  • Radiator sealer has been used but same problems exists
  • Engine cleaner has also been used but the same problem exists.

I want to just add as well that I did get that mechanic to run a diagnostics test for the second time and he then claimed it was my injectors thats causing the problems whereas he intially said it was the coils. He also told me it would cost in excess of £200 to fix the injectors but I feel as though he doesn't know what he's doing due to him intially saying it was the coils and charged me £120 to replace the coils. Over £200 is a lot of money and I dont want to be spending that on the car to then be told its a different problem.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ford Mondeo - Radiator Issues - Rev's Drop Causing Car To Stall - elekie&a/c doctor

Firstly,changing the injectors or coil is not going to cure any overheating problem.The knocking you can hear is localised boiling of the coolant..It would appear you have a major issue with coolant circulation and/or the system has not been bled correctly.Perhaps the radiator is blocked?

Forgive me if I sound stupid but how do I check to see if it's blocked? Also if it is blocked then how do I go about unblocking it?

Ford Mondeo - Radiator Issues - Rev's Drop Causing Car To Stall - skidpan

Forgive me if I sound stupid but how do I check to see if it's blocked? Also if it is blocked then how do I go about unblocking it?

Remove top and bottom hoses and see if any water comes out. Better still take off the rad and flush it with a hose.

Ford Mondeo - Radiator Issues - Rev's Drop Causing Car To Stall - dieselnut

Have you made sure youv'e bled ALL the air out.

Does the heater work, if not, there is still air trapped somewhere.

Any idea on how I can do this on a Mondeo Zetec Petrol 2.0 2001 plate?

Ford Mondeo - Radiator Issues - Rev's Drop Causing Car To Stall - ddr

Sorry, but since your car is worth pennies, I would scrap it. You have multiple and probably unrelated problems.

No disrespect intended here but the whole point of me needing to fix this car is because I need it. I can't afford to just go out and buy a new car, if I could then I would.

Ford Mondeo - Radiator Issues - Rev's Drop Causing Car To Stall - gizmo62
My mondeo revs drop and the car stalled I took idle air control valve of and cleaned it works ok it don't stall now

I think the issue may have something to do with the coolent no getting into the engine. When I initially start my car and drive for about 3-5 minutes, it runs smoothly. When the temp guage starts rising to half way, it then starts making this knocking noises when at about 2000 rpm. After driving a few more minutes the temp guage is in the red. You can hear the fans going mad. Ive even started to hear like a whistling noise when driving and continues after I've switch the engine off for a minute or so after.

As I've stated previously, I'm no mechanic but surely that must be a coolant issue?