What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
audi A4 1.9 td - audi A4 1.9 td (98) wont start - messa

Hi all 1.9 td audi A4 s-reg 98 wont start. When you turn it over it WILL fire up and run for about 5 seconds then will die it will do that all day but will NOT stay running and ive lost my odometer reading,the clock stopped working then it works then it wont and ive lost some ignition lights,has any one had this trouble before or can give advise please thanks glyn.......

audi A4 1.9 td - audi A4 1.9 td (98) wont start - privateinvestor

Have you tried starting it with the fuel filler cap open, could be an air lock, of blocked fuel filter.....

No i havnt il try tomorrow,what about my odometer (milage gauge) not coming on wen you turn ignition on any ideas im thinking somthing electrical but im no machanic thanks again glyn..............

audi A4 1.9 td - audi A4 1.9 td (98) wont start - The-Mechanic

If you can, get a diagnostic computer plugged in and read what error codes there may be stored. It sounds like a crankshaft position sensor fault but the odometer display going off says to me there may be an immobiliser fault as it is integrated into the instrument panel. The only way to be sure is to get it checked by computer.

Edited by The-Mechanic on 30/11/2013 at 22:49

Today i checked the car with my OBD 2 scanner there are no faults stored and tried starting it with the fual cap of and still the same so im presuming there is a fault with the immobiliser,does anyone no how i can get around the immobiliser ie get rid of it all together if i can thanks for your advise so far glyn........

audi A4 1.9 td - audi A4 1.9 td (98) wont start - elekie&a/c doctor
I would check the fuses and power supply circuits.sounds like one is missing and causing a problem with the immobiliser circuit.It is a separate control unit for this and not in the dash pod on these early a4 models.You are unlikely to get any accurate info from your obd scanner as cars of this age are not obd compliant.hth