What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Vauxhall Omega 2.5 td gls auto 1998 - ignition - vauxhall omega 2.5 t,d auto

just bought a vauxhall omega 2.5 td gls automatic s reg 1998 can anyone tell me if they are a reliable motor? there is a problem that i am trying to sort out but can not seem to get any where recently i at to change the clocks in the car as the rev counter needle and the speedo clock needle stopped working the speedo needle just kept jumpping abit that side is sorted . but since i have replaced clocks the problem i have got now is that the ignition key will start engine no problem but when i come,s to turning the key to the off position the engine stays running and the alternator light cmes on but once i turn key to on position light will go out i have bought a brand new ignition switch and changed it but it is still the same. mmmm confusing but if i press the break in and then turn the ignition key off the engine will stop. is there anybody out there that can give me some advice it will be very much appreciated look forward to reply.

Vauxhall Omega 2.5 td gls auto 1998 - ignition - Avant

Moved to Technical, where you may get some help if anyone can understand what you're saying.

Vauxhall Omega 2.5 td gls auto 1998 - ignition - RT

The 2.5TD engine is a BMW unit, but with lower output than it's BMW installations - perhaps because of the typical Vauxhall company car user's lack of attention to more frequent servicing than other Vauxhalls, the 2.5TD was no more reliable than GM's own engines of that era.

You'll probably get good technical help on Vauxhall and Omega-specific forums.

Vauxhall Omega 2.5 td gls auto 1998 - ignition - elekie&a/c doctor
what happens if you take the clocks out,does the fault disappear?
Vauxhall Omega 2.5 td gls auto 1998 - ignition - injection doc

all the symptons of a knacckered dash from a blown alternator when the dash was in the previous car ! a very common problem on Omega's

Aletrnatotrs were for ever blowing the dash boards on Omega's

Vauxhall Omega 2.5 td gls auto 1998 - ignition - dan86

My dad's vectra did the same thing with the clocks. Typical GM build quality.

Vauxhall Omega 2.5 td gls auto 1998 - ignition - Collos25

You are not really going to spend time and money on what is at the best a scrap motor,the engine was terrible when it was in a BMW it was worse when it made the transition into an Opel ,rust is abundant in all the important places and the electrics are a complete nightmare.

Vauxhall Omega 2.5 td gls auto 1998 - ignition - Peter.N.

The only problem I know of with that engine is poor or non existant hot starting, its due to pump wear but there is a mod that gets around it by fooling the ECU into thinking that the engine is cold for a few seconds while it starts and increasing the fuel input. Otherwise apart from their very poor low speed torque they seem to have few problems.