Hyundai Santa Fe - Thermo-dynamics of diesel automatics - RT

A question for a thermo-dynamics expert.

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2CRDi automatic which is used for towing, but well within it's towing limit - as standard a transmission cooler is fitted but it's of the loop-in-radiator-bottom-tank type - I use a ScanGauge 2 to monotor the engine coolant temperature via the EOBD2 diagnostics port.

Now when solo the engine coolant temperature shows 85 C constantly once warmed up, well within a degree, regardless of speed, gradient or enthusiasm - I guess this is set by the thermostat.

When towing, the temperature goes up to 90 C at steady motorway speeds but on hill climbs or even accelerating in traffic the temperature reacts almost instantly so can be anywhere between 90-100 C, reaching as high as 110 C on odd occasions - but it drops almost as instantly when the throttle is eased.

So is this heat gain from the engine doing a lot more work, as it obviously is, or is it from the transmission heat affecting the engine temperature via the coolant ?

Hyundai Santa Fe - Thermo-dynamics of diesel automatics - craig-pd130

Is it a traditional torque-converter type transmission?

I'd say fhe temp increase is a combination of the engine and transmission, but I would think the biggest contributor is the engine. Under load a diesel engine heats up quickly but on overrun or low-load conditions they cool quickly too.

In winter conditions, the temp gauges in my Passat and Mondeo diesels used to drop noticeably on the long descent into Manchester from the summit of the M62, even though I was maintaining a steady 75 / 80 cruise. The gradient is such that only the faintest whiff of throttle is needed to maintain cruising speed, and the rush of very cool air was able to overcool the engine.

Hyundai Santa Fe - Thermo-dynamics of diesel automatics - RT

Yes - it's a conventional torque converter + planetary gears type of autobox.

The panel temperature gauge is useless on my car - like many it's electronically "managed" - compared to the OBD reading it stays on stone cold until 55 C, quickly rising to "normal" at 75 C and then only rises somewhere above 105 C - I presume as I've not got it that hot!

Hyundai Santa Fe - Thermo-dynamics of diesel automatics - Peter.N.

As mentioned the thermal efficiency of a diesel engine decreases significantly under heavy load and it would appear that you are reaching the full capacity of your cooling system. An auto box doesn't help as not only does it produce heat itself but as a result of the losses producing that it increases the demand on the engine.

Hyundai Santa Fe - Thermo-dynamics of diesel automatics - bathtub tom

I'd blast the dead flies and other grunge out of the radiator first.

Hyundai Santa Fe - Thermo-dynamics of diesel automatics - slkfanboy

Diesels do not produce much head under low load, hence some large 4x4 have aux heaters for cold weather. The internal temp gauge is unless as it intended to point to the mid-point unless the engine is very cold or a fault occurs.

The thermostat only controls the min temperature not the max. Basically is closed until running temperature is reached, then open enough to ensure the min. temperature is maintained or exceeded. It reacts relatively slowly so temperature spikes will occur.

Under low load you maybe require 25Kw of energy but under load you may well be using 75Kw of energy, that is a lot of kettles and hence the heat.

If you are worried about temperature then maybe get beefed up oil cooler fitted. These are costly until hence often manufactures do the minimum. IMHO worthwhile if you tow often and intend to keep the 4x4 for a while.