What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW X3 - Anyone Got Experience With a BMW X3 - Prince23

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has got any experience with the x3 2.0d. Main things I'm interested are fuel economy, Ive got an 80 mile round trip to work every day, however it is all motorway, what sort of figures can you expect cruising at 70mph?

How are they in the wintery conditions? I'm aware it depends a lot on tyres but assuming I would put winter tyres on are they useful enough in the snow? It's important I can get to work every day.

I'd also be looking at x3's with pretty high mileage (90k+) due to the cost of them. I've got a VW golf TDI at the moment with loads of miles on that I know will last forever, are the X3' diesels as reliable and long lasting?

Cheers

BMW X3 - Anyone Got Experience With a BMW X3 - oldtoffee

I was recommended by a BMW independent to avoid the 2 litre diesels due to big expensive problems with turbos and 100k is the most they go without issues so I'd avoid. Lots of stories on BMW forums of owners suffering big bills.

A family member had one and put Pirelli winter tyres on and it worked really well. It was 4wd not 2wd but the tyres made the difference not the 4wd. They used to get mid 40s with mixed driving. It was a 2008 MY and an auto.

BMW X3 - Anyone Got Experience With a BMW X3 - bazza

Spiritmonitor de- a European vehicle economy database gives 35.5mpg average on a sample size of 104.

If running costs are key, would have thought there's far less risky and cheaper to run options than a high miler diesel BMW. Tyres on a 4wd will cost you don't forget, plus all the extra weight you're lugging around. Getting to work will depend more on traffic and gridlock than your particular vehicle.

BMW X3 - Anyone Got Experience With a BMW X3 - Avant

Sadly, a high-mile diesel anything is a high risk these days, in contrast to engines like the good old Perkins Prima and Peugeot/Citroen XUD, which would rattle on for years.

In the name of reducing noise and emissions, there are too many added complications which can, and do, go wrong with high mileage. A well looked-after diesel will avoid the pitfalls, as taxi-drivers have shown - but when you buy a cheap car you have no guarantee that the previous owners have looked after it.

That of course is also true of petrol engines, but as a broad generalisation failures tend to be less disastrous.