What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - arcticpanda

Hey guys,

I currently have a 58 plate Ford Fiesta (Newer Shape), and it was my first car. I am now 19, and looking to upgrade to something slightly better, now that i've reached my two years of driving.

I've been looking at a 2010 BMW 1 Series Coupe or Maybe even a 3 Series Saloon.

I'm willing to take any suggestions however. What does everyone else think?

I don't really want to spend more than £12,000, and I don't want a car with much more than 30,000 miles.

Any help is greatly accepted

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - elekie&a/c doctor

I think I would be getting some insurance quotes before departing from your Fiesta.

A 1/3 Series is around 700-800 dependant on optionals

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - artill

I am interested to know why you want a BMW. Is it the badge? Is it you want RWD? I assume insurance will keep you out of the powerful versions.

If its the badge you want, and you can afford the car, why not.

But if you think they are the 'ultimate driving machine' think again. With a small engine they are less fun that a good front driver.

If its 'quality' you want, you would be better off with something Japanese.

Do you live in a hilly part of the country? If it snows you wont be going anywhere in a BMW

A Suzuki Swift Sport is a good to drive car, and your budget might get you a new one with 3 years warrenty. An MX5 1.8 would be a great rear driver for a young lad.

Give us more of a clue about what you are looking for and i am sure there will be plenty of other suggestions

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - daveyK_UK

Why would you want a 1 series?

You are getting a small hatchback, inm some ways worse than a focus/golf/i30/auris/civic/etc which all have one characteristic or more better than the 1 series (they all must be more spacious thats for sure!).

Because of the badge premium you will pay, it is likely to be older than simialr size cars made by rival manufacturers.

Dont see the appeal?

I am looking at the Coupe, not the hatchback.

While the BMW badge is a lot more "attractive" than that of a Suzuki for example, it isn't the reason I want a BMW. I'm the type of person who'd rather have a good looking and reliable car, over a "power machine". I simply find BMW's (Minus that of the hatchback 1 Series) really good looking cars.

I'd prefer to avoid a hatchback, as I just don't think they look good 9 times out of 10.

RWD isn't essential, as I'd consider a non-quattro Audi as well. I just think the A1 and A3 are VERY...cheap on the interior. While the BMW's aren't inspired on the interior, they don't seem cheap, while I feel the Audi's mentioned do.

I think i'd go for a petrol again, as I only regularly drive to uni and back which is just a 20-30 minute drive through the city.

On the note of the MX5. I am 6'3"...I feel it would be a tad cramped

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - Bobbin Threadbare

On the note of the MX5. I am 6'3"...I feel it would be a tad cramped

Yes it would. One of the 6th formers that I teach runs a BMW 530i. He really likes it although mpg is rubbish. He only tootles to school and back in it really. He's 19 so the insurance can't be too horrendous. Maybe it's something you could consider; certainly nice inside.

I'd much rather have a 3 series over a 5 series. I have no need for such a large car, and the 3 series is far superior in looks

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - Bobbin Threadbare

I'd much rather have a 3 series over a 5 series. I have no need for such a large car, and the 3 series is far superior in looks

Alright! Well I wouldn't even be looking at a 1 series then. Just go for the 3.

A decent 3 series under 3 years old, that IS a coupe version, is slightly out of my budget

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - Collos25

700 pounds insurance for a 3 series at nineteen I thing its not your insurance but you have been put on your parents insurance.

This quote is with me as the MAIN driver. Don't treat me like an idiot due to my age...

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - Collos25

This quote is with me as the MAIN driver. Don't treat me like an idiot due to my age...

Very cheap ,I do not know you so I have no idea if you are an idiot or not.

A decent 3 series under 3 years old, that IS a coupe version, is slightly out of my budget

No it isn't; do some research:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20131020937...p

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20131016931...p

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 23/10/2013 at 22:27

Sorry, I probably should have stated, I wanted a car that is under 3 years old. I don't see much point in going from a 2008 car to a 2006.

Ok, from what you have told us so far its a 1 series or 3 series. The 1 would be the coupe (Still very few for sale, petrol, under 30,000 miles, no more than £12k) the 3 you stated as saloon to start with but later said the coupe which is out of your price range.

You want a 'badge' and are not bothered about power particularly. There isnt much choice. You could have a Merc CLC the facelifted version of the SportCoupe. They are a decent drive (I have only driven a 3.2 version of the SC) and there are many more available.

If you want better reliability, avoid the Germans, and think about a Honda CR-Z?

Or for style how about a Peugeot RC-Z, or perhaps for a different type of style, a Volvo C30

Probably the most 'special' car that fits all of your stipulations would be a Mazda RX8. Big running costs, but none of your friends will have one!

Any good, or do you still want a BMW?

Thank you, best contribution so far.

I've been looking through the reviews on this site quite a bit this evening. I could get a pretty new Focus which is rated well. I'm just not a fan of the interior.

Mazda RX8: The 'w***el' engine i've heard is incredibly unreliable. And reliablility is probably the most important factor, closely followed by ascethics.

Volvo: The newer volvo's are a lot nicer than they used to be. They no longer hold onto the view of "Over 50's only".

I guess the simple question would be. What would be better, a brand new (or near enough) car such as a Ford, or a 2/3 year old BMW or similar car?

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - daveyK_UK

Could you get a 2 and 1/2 year old Lexus for that kind of money?

Would tick all your boxes; certainly alot more relaible than a BMW.

One thing you havent said so far, is manual or auto? If you are happy with an auto, and want looks and reliability, how about a Lexus IS250?

As for new/nearly new Vs. older, the big difference will be running costs (servicing and repairs will be at least double on a 3 year old premium car compared to a cheaper, but newer car. I guess from the cars you are thinking of this wouldnt be too much of a problem. But what about a serious failure? the newish cars will have a full warrenty, but the BMWs etc. will be quite old, with some very expensive parts just waiting to fail with no warrenty backup.

If the looks and image are most important, you probably wont be happy with what you can get for £12k newish. If reliability is most important, newer is better, Japanese and new is best

Problem with the new at 12k, is that none of the cars look nice on the exterior and interior. It's kind of like you'll get one but not the other. For example, the new Skoda Rapid (While it's a Skoda)...it doesn't look half bad from the outside, especially in black. However, go inside, and it looks cheap and nasty.

While the Golf, looks nice on the inside, and just boring and nothing special from outside.

I'd prefer a Manual, but I suppose it's not "essential"

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - bazza

You're a very lucky guy with that amount of money to spend on a car at age just 19!! Anyway, you didn't come on here for financial advice, so: the 3 series is so much nicer than a 1 Series, which has about the worst seating position of any car I've come across. You sit very low and need long arms and legs (maybe it will suit you) . But it's not that special inside and there's no room in the back. It's pleasant to drive with nice fluid steering that RWD format gives you. For 12K you can pick up a very nice petrol 3 series, which in my book is a finer looking car, more space all round, and a good range of engines, just like the 1.

Watch out for expensive servicing and relaibility issues, which could cost you dearly.

Could I suggest a Honda Accord? If I wanted a quick 2 litre petrol saloon, my choice would be Lexus or Honda.

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - skidpan

I had 5 very happy years owning a 118D hatch. Had no problems whatsoever, servicing was cheap and it was pretty good on fuel.

But I cannot believe you can get one insurred for £700 -£900. Lads your age in our office are paying more than that 3rd party on 1400 cc hatches and our area is not expensive for insurance.

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - GHSAUNDERS40
I find the quote for insurance very optimistic. Are you sure you have imputed the correct details? I'm looking at buying a new 120d se. Accepted its new and more powerful than what you are looking at, but at 26 with 9 years ncd and a clean license,the cheapest fully comprehensive policy I can find is £650. My brother 23, has a 2010 320i 4 years ncb, clean license pays in excess of £1000 for his insurance....

I don't know why it's so cheap, but all the correct info has been given. I live in a little town in the middle of nowhere which could be why it's so cheap, and I have a locked garage too. Plus I have two people as named drivers who have been driving over 25 years each. That brings the insurance down a considerable chunk

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - SteveLee

I don't know why it's so cheap, but all the correct info has been given. I live in a little town in the middle of nowhere which could be why it's so cheap,

I hope you like your little town because you'll be stuck there the first time it snows in a BMW.

How about a Subaru BRZ/Toyota FT-86 proper drivers cars with relatively small engines.

I've actually been looking into a new Honda Civic, now that you mention the accord, I might take a look as well

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - gordonbennet

How times change, never considered a brand new car until i was 50, at 19 in the 70s i was running real old bangers (max £100) and banger racing mine and others cast offs to give 'em a fitting send off.

Depending on the age of the car you intend to buy, and how you maintain it, it might be advisable to get a make that you can get serviced/reapired frugally locally...though if are really thinking of new then this is not something you need to consider.

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - SteveLee

So you are looking at hatches despite your previous comments, the small car with the nicest interior is the Citroen DS3.

Well, preferably in a perfect world I think we'd all get Ferrari's or Aston Martin's or whatever takes your fancy. But the fact of the matter is, Hatchbacks tend to fit into my price range and offer reliability. So i'll have to go with that

BMW 1 Series - Looking for an upgrade - taking any suggestions - oldtoffee

I do get the BMW ultimate driving tag but I fail to see how any of the 1, 3 or 5 series could even qualify as good looking, but beauty is in the eye.....

I had a 323i back in the 80's after a succession of front wheel drive cars. I spun it in a BIG way into a tree on a bend I used to take much faster in a Mk 2 Golf GTi which on reflection was the better car. I know nowadays electronics intervene when you need them but rwd can be tricky to master. I don't particularly like VWs now but nevertheless a 2.0 TFSi GTI would get a look in for me, one of the better 4cyliner engines around. I'd probably go for an Octavia vRS same engine but the badge would probably offend most BMW wannabees.