What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford head unit connector pinout - Big Vern
Hi

I am trying to install a old style (standard size) Ford 2006 RDS head unit into the old 89 polo, as it's original head unit has died, and as the rest of the car is not far behind I do not want to spend money on a new head unit.

I have the original ford connectors > flying leads and know that when viewed from the back the connecteor on the right is for the speakers. The connector on the left has pin numbers marked on the plug such that

Pin 1 > Red wire (top of connector)
Pin 2 > Brown wire
Pin 3 > Yellow wire
Pin 4 > yellow / grey
pin 5 > N/C
pin 6 > heavy gauge brown
pin 7 > N/C

Does anybody know what the pinout of this connector is?

I have tried all the logical connections, and have buzzed them out to the fuse / Chassis but with power connected I can get no life out of it at all. Is it looking for some ford trickery on the yellow / Yellow/grey pair?

Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks
Ford head unit connector pinout - Keith S
For ISO colours yellow and red are generally main power and memory power. Both need to be on for the unit to work.
The connectors are ford specific and not ISO, worth noting, I guess I could get the info I required by looking at one of those adapter cable harnesses used to fit an after market headunit with ISO connecters into the Ford loom without cutting wires, however s**s law dictates all the shops I go to do not have any in stock!

Failing a fuller responce I will put power on to the yellow as suggested. If I find a solution I will post here.

Thanks Keith
Ford head unit connector pinout - JamesH
I have one of those connector blocks. I bought it for a later Ford but I don't think they have changed in that time. The order of this block is:

Permanent Live - for memory
Ground
Accessory - switched by ignition for power
Illumination
Not connected
Ground
Electric Aerial
Not connected

The block is rectangular but with an extra bit sticking out near the memory pin.

Hope this helps, although this block has 8 pins instead of 7.

James

Thanks James

That was spot on, 12V on Pin 1 & 3, GND on 2 & 4 and it springs into life, put 12V on 4 and the display lights up. The Mondeo did not have an electric arial so I guess thats why there is only 7 pins as opposed to your 8.

Pin 1 > Red wire (top of connector)> Permanent Live - for memory
Pin 2 > Brown wire > Ground
Pin 3 > Yellow wire > Accessory - switched by ignition for power
Pin 4 > yellow / grey > Illumination
pin 5 > N/C > Not connected
pin 6 > heavy gauge brown > Ground
pin 7 > N/C > Not connected

Now my only problem is the code I had written down for the stero is not correct, will ford provide the number against the registration of the car it came from I wonder?

Thanks again
Ford head unit connector pinout - smokie
Vauxhall supplied all the codes for my car for about a tenner, but they wanted to see the car, the VIN number and proof of ownership
Ford head unit connector pinout - jc
Ford will want to see proof of ownership but it will be easier for them if you quote the serial number of the radio-it's somewhere on the case of the radio-it saves having to cross check VIN/REG.numbers.