What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Citigo - Which Skoda: citigo or fabia - Gabe
S I made my decision. Citigo it was going to be....until I went to the dealer. Apparently they're running a special offer and the two models are the same price. Any suggestions? I will be using the vehicle for city driving and want something with a high MPG. Thanks!
Skoda Citigo - Which Skoda: citigo or fabia - brum

The Fabia has terrible mpg around city - you will be lucky to hit upper 30's. (I have 2 and I know!) Citigo is much more frugal, but then again its quite a small car.

Thanks a lot. Do you have any bother suggestions?
Skoda Citigo - Which Skoda: citigo or fabia - Auristocrat

Skoda are doing the Fabia 1.2 SE for £8995 - can't see anywhere on the Skoda site where the prices match the Citigo. Unless it is a dealer incentive.

The current Fabia is being replaced next year.

Edited by Auristocrat on 06/09/2013 at 16:34

Skoda Citigo - Which Skoda: citigo or fabia - Collos25

Having bought a VW up BMT for use in the UK its about as much use as a broken lawnmower its a terrible car cheaply made with a poor interior, cheaply painted and not as economical as you would hope plus the three cylinde engine is rubbish.I would look at other makes PSA,Toyota and Ford they have much much better small cars.

Skoda Citigo - Which Skoda: citigo or fabia - Rockvilla

My friend bought an Up last year (Black) and he is very disappointed in it. He reckons he's gets that same MPG as he did with his 1.6 golf. He's trading it in soon for something else.

Skoda Citigo - Which Skoda: citigo or fabia - 659FBE

I have been looking at this "offer".

It appears that the Fabias on sale at a discount all have the 3 cyl petrol engine with a single chain camshaft drive. These have been found by some (check) to have poor durability and replacement is very expensive. The Cit-mi-up engine has a belt drive which is preferable in every way.

Check the Internet for Cit-mi-up steering problems. It has electric power steering - cheaper than a dedicated hydraulic system but seemingly prone to problems. There have been reports of dangerous random steering pulling when driving the vehicle after it has been left parked in full lock - brilliant.

My local "Skoda" agent was unable (unwilling?) to give me the Fabia engine code so that I could make a proper check on the camshaft drive. He's lost a sale - I'll use an online agent.

Edited by 659FBE on 06/09/2013 at 18:37

Many thanks for your comments. So in your opinion, would I be better off buying a second hand Yaris or something?

The answer to this question depends on your wish or ability to become involved in a detailed analysis of what is on offer, your attitude to risk and your feelings about dealing with the seller when things go wrong.

If you are not able to make a detailed analysis of product weakness, play safe and buy the Toyota.

If you want to minimise risk, buy the Toyota.

If you want to deal with a seller who may be more likely to stand by his product in the event of a problem - buy the Toyota.

One might ask, why ever buy from VAG? For me, the deal breaker was the availability of the best 96kW diesel engine in a non aspirational brand - technically excellent and good value. For others, it might be the aspirational branding, technical sophistication (eg DSG transmission) or the user experience at the touch points. (Hence the existence of Audi).

There's certainly a good VAG range to choose from but for many, myself included, the product backup and the minefield major components which have been shown to be wanting in terms of durability or reliability may make dealing with this organisation a risky venture. A trawl through this Forum will provide evidence to support this view.

Caveat emptor.

Skoda Citigo - Which Skoda: citigo or fabia - daveyjp
I parked next to an Up yesterday and noticed it had satnav. Don't know if it is standard fit, but is was perched above the central airvents on some sort of bracket.

My first thoughts were what a fool leaving satnav attached whilst leaving it in a car park. My next thought was maybe it is part of the car and can't be removed at which point I thought what a stupid design as it looks like it can be removed. Those who break into cars tend not to bother if it can be removed before they smash a window.

It's removable. Unwise owner.

Skoda Citigo - Which Skoda: citigo or fabia - rogerzilla

The Fabia is about to be replaced, hence the sale. Bad residuals because you'll have the old model.

I almost bought a Citigo. it's a good-looking car and quite spacious for its external dimensions. It also drives well around town. The problem is that it's dog-slow, even the 75bhp version, and because VW omitted balance shafts from the 3-cyl engine it feels as if it's going to shake itself apart when you work it hard. The test drive was great until I got to the dual carriageway and tried to get it up to speed, then I realised it would never cope with my weekly trip up the A43 with all those roundabouts, which means doing the 70mph sprint 16 times.

So...I'd have neither at the moment. If they put the 1.2 turbo engine into the Citigo (if it would fit) it would be a very fine car, and probably not much less economical.

Skoda Citigo - Which Skoda: citigo or fabia - Auristocrat

With the new Hyundai i10 going on sale in December, the current car is quite good value - £6995 for the Classic and £7795 for the Active.

The i20 starts from £8695 with similar offers.

Many thanks for all your comments. Having thought about it I think the Skoda Fabia 1.4 is probably the best vehicle for me.

I would think heavily before I bought an obselete car from VAG,

Skoda Citigo - Which Skoda: citigo or fabia - oldgit

I quite liked the looks of the Mi, UP and Citigo until I realised, just in time that none of them had centre air vents but only side ones and that would mean inadequate centre ventilation in the recent hot Summer months.

By VAG, do you mean VOlkswagen?

By VAG, do you mean VOlkswagen?

VAG normally refers to Volkswagen-Audi-Group does it not?

AG is the standard abbreviation in German for Aktiengesellschaft (= roughly Co. Ltd.)

So our friends in Wolfsburg who have unstintingly given undiluted pleasure to so many members of this Forum are VAG = Volkswagen Aktiengesellschaft.

Skoda Citigo - Which Skoda: citigo or fabia - Avant

In case anyone's interested -

AG - Aktiengesellschaft - Acting togetherness - means a public company in Germany (as in our plc)

GmbH (Gesellschaft mit beschrankter Haftung, or literally Togetherness with beshrunk liability) means a private company - i.e. one which can't offer shares to the public.

Thanks

Thanks

Or GmbH more simply and literally means Company with Limited Liabilities.

I quite liked the looks of the Mi, UP and Citigo until I realised, just in time that none of them had centre air vents but only side ones and that would mean inadequate centre ventilation in the recent hot Summer months.

The one good thing about the UP is its heating and cooling you never notice the lack of centre air vents if you want a curtain of cold air then the windscreen vents are much more then adequate.

One more point VAG have changed the sat nav supplier to Garmin as the previous model was at the best not very good a thing they have kept very quiet about,.

Edited by Collos25 on 10/09/2013 at 09:02