What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Saab - Car Registration sale - scooby101

I recently purchased a car and the seller was less than honest about the condition of the car it needed repairs carried out at quite a alot money £££'s maybe more. The issue is the seller had a cherished plate on the car but did not remove the number before the sale. I purchased the car with the plate on it and taxed and insured the car with that plate on it, the next day the car would not start the battery was completley flat. I tried to contact the seller to see if the battery needed replacing or was it something he had forgotten to mention! surprise surprise he never returned any calls or texts. So I took a chance and I purchased a new battery at £78 the car started okay. One week later the seller contacted me, he never mentioned the battery at all but wanted his number palte and asked me to sign some paper work and give him the tax disc from the car so he cuold transfer the plate. I refused to do this as it's illegal to drive without a vaild tax disc on display, I asked him to bring me the paper work and I would do the transfer and post him back any relevant documents, he still insisted I sign the documents and give him the tax disc but I still refused this. He has not been in touch since(1 month). Now in the mean time the car has suffered from some problems that are going to cost alot of money it needs a new inlet manifold and possibley more, Park assist never worked and needs repaired it had been turned of to cloak this also there is problems with the fog lights not working and could also cost £££'s. I know I should have check everything but i thought it was ok the car seemed to drive well but I had no knoledge of the these cars this all happened within the two weeks of owning it. So would I be the legal owner of the plate? and would I be alright to sell the plate on the car to cover the repair costs to the car any help would be gratefully recieved on this Cheers

P.S. I have already had to pay for the maf, map, egr and throttle body to be cleaned and checked

Saab - Car Registration sale - Peter D

Do you have the V5C in your name and with the VRM of the cherished plate. Regards Peter

Hi Peter, yes I have the V5 document with the number on it and it's registered to me at my address

Edited by scooby101 on 22/07/2013 at 15:31

Saab - Car Registration sale - thunderbird

You are the proud owner of the cherished plate.

Saab - Car Registration sale - Peter D

Unless you signed an agreement to return the plate at no cost then the VRM is yours and you may sell it and retain the proceeds from that disposal. Regards Peter

Thanks for the reply Peter, there was no agreement signed. Again thanks I appreciate your help on this

Saab - Car Registration sale - happy polo

Assuming you aren't fussy about keeping the plate yourself, definitely sell it. This chap has clearly sold you a turkey, which you are now stuck with and which will cost you money. The fact that he has the audacity to phone you and demand his number plate back is incredible! He is either very stupid or very cocky; could it be that he didn't initially intend to have it back but since you accepted the car in a poor condition he thought he might try his luck? It's fortunate that the tax disc issue arose or I presume you would have surrendered the plate to him?

Next time he phones, if he does, tell him quite firmly that you have discovered numerous defects with the car, he clearly ripped you off and you have sold the plate in order to recover some of your costs - even if you haven't sold it at that point, tell him that you have so he has no reason to bother you any further. If he carries on tell him to get lost or you'll park the car in his front room!