What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 2012 - Car disappered from DVLA database?!!!! - gavmoffat

Hi all

I'm currently involved in a damage dispute with a car hire company. They claim I damaged their car but so far the only evidence they have sent is a small photo of a damaged wheel arch, taken from a completely different car to the one I hired.

I checked the DVLA website a month or so back to use as evidence (the website confirmed the car with the reg number I hired was a completely different colour to the one in the photo they sent), but since then the vehicle has completely vanished from the DVLA website. I have checked a couple of other car checker sites including askmid and it doesn't appear anywhere else either.

I do have some photographic evidence of the car as I was caught by my local city council driving in a bus lane and sent a fine with a photo of the misdemeanour, but the picture is quite grainy and thus less conclusive.

What could have happened to the car so that all trace of it disappeared?

Ford Focus 2012 - Car disappered from DVLA database?!!!! - leaseman

It's probably had a cherished plate change. Sorry, can't help with historic data. Could try a HPI check?

Ford Focus 2012 - Car disappered from DVLA database?!!!! - gavmoffat

Thanks, I went onto an hpi check website and the car shows up but I need to pay 19.99 for more details. It's really just the colour of the car I need to have confirmed, will that show up in the hpi check?

Ford Focus 2012 - Car disappered from DVLA database?!!!! - tony g
Hi gav,
If you go on the autotrader website and enter the hire car registration number .

In the way that you would if you were selling the car ,the autotrader will list the details of the car without you paying for the information .

Basically it lists what the car is that carries that reg number ,what it's specification is and what the colour is that's listed on the v5 ,red , silver ,blue etc

Good luck
Ford Focus 2012 - Car disappered from DVLA database?!!!! - focussed

That's a link to a USA website - does it work for UK vehicles?

Ford Focus 2012 - Car disappered from DVLA database?!!!! - tony g
It's not a link ,at least not one that I introduced ,just type autotrader uk into google ,go to sell a vehicle ,type in the reg number ,that will give you the general info including colour .
Ford Focus 2012 - Car disappered from DVLA database?!!!! - TeeCee

If it's not on the MID or DVLA services, that probably won't work.

It may have been subsequently written off and scrapped.