Mini Cooper S \ JCW - Mini Cooper S\charged or Turbo? - technik21

Decisions, Decisions...

I'm looking to buy a Mini Cooper S, either a late Supercharged (06) model, or the later turbo version.

I have driven both examples, and found the supercharged variant more involving, as the sound of the SC and the slightly less 'bloated' interior gave a better feel and feedback on the road.

The later turbo edition, was just....well a bit 'safe' and too refined by comparison.
Even the switch gear looks a bit tacky or plasticy compared to the earlier model.
I think the later model has lost some of the character of the earlier one.

Having said that, I know the turbo engine is more efficient, slightly quicker, cheaper road tax, and even a lower insurance grouping. There are a few more optional extras available too. So that's a positive, and guess I could get to like it just as much.
I'm not sure though which car is more reliable, if they suffer any particular problems at all that is?

I'm tempted to test drive a Cooper Works (not the GP), to help settle the confusion.

Does anyone have any opinions on either models?

Mini Cooper S \ JCW - Mini Cooper S\charged or Turbo? - madf

Friend had one. The ride is far too harsh for normal driving on UK potholed/speed humped roads.

Period.

Unless you like back pain. And a bruised coccyx.

Mini Cooper S \ JCW - Mini Cooper S\charged or Turbo? - skidpan

Wife had Supercharged version, July 2005 reg. Loads of niggling problems, never really liked it. Never found ride that bad (had 16" wheels) but the noise of the engine was pretty tiring on the motorway.

She looked at the Turbo version when she swapped and hated it. The ride was a bit smoother, the engine was more refined but the quality of the interior had taken a huge step back with load of hard scratchy plastics.

Don't have Mini now and don't miss it.

Basically it was not a patch on the Puma it replaced.

Mini Cooper S \ JCW - Mini Cooper S\charged or Turbo? - bazza

it's a tempting thought as a super fun car but the reality is 25mpg and a very poor reliability reputation. I think the facelift models are better, but certainly gearboxes are very problematic on the original models. And fuel economy is dire.

Mini Cooper S \ JCW - Mini Cooper S\charged or Turbo? - gordonbennet

My mate has had both models from new, yes i know i think he's crackers but the wife likes them, the first one needed a new supercharger..

All of them (three bought new) have needed engine dismantlings to fix the various timing chain and tensioner problems, and the latest model has needed new valve lifters within weeks.

Buy whichever takes your fancy, can't see a lot of difference in reliability.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/05/2013 at 11:20