What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Open bolt / screw holes in engine cover - mikem

Hi all - I've just changed to a 2010 Focus 1.6 Zetec and have noticed what I can only describe as 2 small circular inserts, approx 8-10 mm diameter, in the top of the engine cover (cam cover?). These are hollow and threaded on the inside as if to accept bolts but currently have nothing screwed into them. Has anyone any idea what these are for, please, and is it normal for there to be nothing attached?

Many thanks

Ford Focus - Open bolt / screw holes in engine cover - elekie&a/c doctor

They could be mounting points for support posts for a plastic engine cover.

Many thanks for that - sounds feasible.

A bit more detail: as you stand in front of the car facing the engine bay, one screw hole is on the left-hand side (just next to the oil filler cap) of the cam cover nearest the radiator, and the other is on the other cam cover, to the right of centre. Not sure if I'm correct in calling them 'cam covers' - just working on the theory that it's a DOHC and there's a camshaft either side of the bank of spark plugs.

Just wondering whether these holes need to be plugged in order to prevent debris entering or engine oil to be forced out.

Any other ideas welcome.

Ford Focus - Open bolt / screw holes in engine cover - bathtub tom

>>Just wondering whether these holes need to be plugged in order to prevent debris entering or engine oil to be forced out.

If engine oil ain't falling out, don't bother!

>>Just wondering whether these holes need to be plugged in order to prevent debris entering or engine oil to be forced out.

If engine oil ain't falling out, don't bother!

Fair comment! Cheers.