What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fusion 2, 1.6 petrol, 53 reg - Sudden loss of 1,2 and reverse gears! - YorkieRob

Hi

Just parking, and suddenly, with no warning, no reverse, no first or second gears!

Has been driving beautifully until then.

Got home on 3 and 4 ... but there was an bad smell, a cross between burning rubber and bad cabbage!

Absolutely no warning whatsoever. Any ideas??

Cheers,

Rob

Ford Fusion 2, 1.6 petrol, 53 reg - Sudden loss of 1,2 and reverse gears! - Oli rag

The smell will have been your clutch being burnt from pulling away in 3rd.

The gear selection problem is likely to be a problem with the gear linkage, I wouldn't have thought the box itself would be damaged.

Ford Fusion 2, 1.6 petrol, 53 reg - Sudden loss of 1,2 and reverse gears! - elekie&a/c doctor

I would guess that one of the shift cables has become detached through worn plastic ball joints.hth

Ford Fusion 2, 1.6 petrol, 53 reg - Sudden loss of 1,2 and reverse gears! - bathtub tom

First motion shaft?

Ford Fusion 2, 1.6 petrol, 53 reg - Sudden loss of 1,2 and reverse gears! - YorkieRob

I would guess that one of the shift cables has become detached through worn plastic ball joints.hth

Thanks, helps a lot ... my guess is the box is OK, and as you say it's the linkage.

How easy is it to fix this? Is it strange that reverse as well as 1+2 have gone?

Hope it's not too expensive ... just had to fork out for a new Astra 1.7 cdti EGR for my daughter's car! [ The old one was pretty coked up, and the engine management simply did not like it, and switched to limp mode - and also, let's use twice as much fuel as well, so I can reallt sting your bank balance!]

Anyways - my friendly garage man will pick it up tomorrow, and hopefully it's a reasonably quick job!

Thanks again.,

Rob

The smell will have been your clutch being burnt from pulling away in 3rd.

The gear selection problem is likely to be a problem with the gear linkage, I wouldn't have thought the box itself would be damaged.

Thanks ... hope I've not knackered the clutch, it's only just been replaced!!!

Rob

Ford Fusion 2, 1.6 petrol, 53 reg - Sudden loss of 1,2 and reverse gears! - skidpan

Thanks ... hope I've not knackered the clutch, it's only just been replaced!!!

I would suspect that the mechanic who replaced the clutch has caused the problem. Take it back and get him to set it.

As usual only 1/2 the story.

Ford Fusion 2, 1.6 petrol, 53 reg - Sudden loss of 1,2 and reverse gears! - alastairq

had similar a couple of years ago with a Skoda Felicia.

The gearchange linkage had suffered a broken bolt, casuing it to drop.

Temporary cure [as in, lasted 6 months]...was to'lift' the whole linkage back up to thebottom of the car, held using tie wraps and a bit of bailing wire.

Bought a brand-new entire linkage, old-stock, very cheap..intended to replace...sadly, poor old felly got a mild ramming when parked...and the insurer made me an offer which was a lot more than I paid for it...so now I have a grotty Ford product.

And..an entire, brand-new linkage in a plastic bag...sitting in a cupboard.