What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Zetec 1.4 Petrol - Common Problems - Olly387

Just picked up a 51 plate Ford Focus Zetec 1.4 Petrol 90000 miles on clock. I thought it would be a bargain at £300 but the previous owener had clearly neglected it. I am wondering if some of following fault are common.

1;) Checked oil on dipstick which was fine but then on motorway Oil light started flashing butbefore I could pull over stayed on engine starte making a noise and cut out. Now wont start AA Bloke said it was Big end !

Is it worth getting engine replaced have found an engine for £75 out another 1.4 involved in a side on smash. Lbour qoute of £250-350 ?

2:) Doors can only be unlocked from passenger side but can still be locked from Driver side. Its was also difficult to turn ignition on with steering lock ?

Ford Focus Zetec 1.4 Petrol - Common Problems - veloster

take it to the scrap yard,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Yea I weary of spending more money and thought I Could scrap it and maybe get somthing for parts. But a few people have said it can be sorted and they are good cars and wil be once another engine. Was wondering if the where common faults. The last owenr was a female and without sounding sexist most women I know seem to neglect cars.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.4 Petrol - Common Problems - veloster

by your own admission the car has been neglected,,so once this problem has been fixed what will be next

Yea I made the crucial mistake, of trusting my Missus and her dad to go and look at it. I was working away and was desperate to pick UP a cheap bargain. I have always kept my cars imaculate in terms of cleanliness and well maintained. If I had gone to view it, I would have walked away as soon as I Saw the owenr hadnt botherd to clean it out.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.4 Petrol - Common Problems - daveyK_UK

£75 quid is a good buy for another engine, and £250 is a fair price to have it changed.

It would be worth giving it the once over to make sure there is nothing else wrong with it, you may find after this repair it runs for another 50,000 miles.

Dont scrap it right away, have a good look over it and if you find anything else, then scrap it.

On a more general question, is the 1.4 in the focus an awful engine for the car?

Ford Focus Zetec 1.4 Petrol - Common Problems - jamie745

The 1.4 is the same engine from the mid 90s Fiesta, it's not great. Seriously OP just get rid of the thing, it's not worth spending another £ on.

Orginally I thought I would bite the bullet and spend a bit of cash on getting door lock fixed and looking at igniton barrell. The rest was all bits I could do myself. I had checked oil so was surprised when after doing approx 70 miles and on the motorway travelling 70-80mph the oil light started flashing I pulled over but it was too late. I Was blaming myself for not checking oil properly. But whn AA came out he said oil level was fine but pressure had gone. The engine for 75 quid was on ebay for 100 but local so we spoke to the seller who said he had taken it out of his old focus which had had a side on RTA and was a write off. The engine apprently ran well. I Thought with cheap labour and cam belt getting done it may be worthwhile but reading everyones comments I am tempted to scrap it or sell parts off although scraping would be worthwhile. The problem is then finding another car but one that would be reliable.

Cheers for all the advice

Er are you asking me ? or is it rhetorical question ? I think 1.4 is a small engine for a car of that size.

Ford Focus Zetec 1.4 Petrol - Common Problems - jhall2806

Agreed that you should get rid!

I just sold my 1999 1.8 Focus on eBay for spares/repair and got £360 for it, and that was in a dreadful state!

You may get more back than you paid....