What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Best small automatic? - Phil F.

Hi,I would really appreciate any recommendations for a used small auto in the £10 to £12k price range.I am looking for my wife and am pretty much aware of all the various options but as there are no torque converter boxes these days,and due to her having a dislike for the automated manuals,her last car was a Pro Ceed auto,I am a bit stumped.I suppose the safer option would be either a Yaris or Jazz CVT?…The Corsa 1.4 autos are cheaper,anybody have one of these please?

Best small automatic? - badbusdriver

Mazda 2 is torque converter and is a lovely wee thing and very reliable, but otherwise a late last shape (or current shape if in budget) Yaris 1.5 hybrid or non hybrid would be an excellent choice. Current Jazz hybrid apparently has some reliability issues, but a late previous shape would also be a sound choice (we had one!).

The Suzuki Swift also used a torque converter along with the 1.0 turbo (Boosterjet) on the previous shape which was a very good combination. Unfortunately the Boosterjet engine was phased out with the facelift circa 2020 when the mild hybrid n/a 1.2 became the only option. I'm not sure if the post facelift version was offered as an option, but if it did, it would be CVT, (like the new Swift).

Just occurred that PSA/Stellantis options are also all torque converter with the Puretech 1.2 turbo. there are of course fairly well known issues surrounding the "wet belt" on these, but according to John F (and Peugeot 2008 owner), 2019 on versions will be fine. That opens up a lot more choices, Citroen C3, C3 Aircross and C4 Cactus, Peugeot 208 and 2008, Vauxhall Corsa and Grandland.

Best small automatic? - pd

Yaris auto would be simplest choice. They are CVT but work well.

If your situation suits it there is of course the EV option which will be "automatic" by default.

Best small automatic? - Adampr

Yaris auto would be simplest choice. They are CVT but work well.

If your situation suits it there is of course the EV option which will be "automatic" by default.

I was just about to say the same thing. If you have somewhere to charge and don't need to do mega miles, there is now a great choice of EVs below £12k.

Best small automatic? - John F

Just occurred that PSA/Stellantis options are also all torque converter with the Puretech 1.2 turbo. ......... That opens up a lot more choices, Citroen C3, C3 Aircross and C4 Cactus, Peugeot 208 and 2008, Vauxhall Corsa and Grandland.

Grandland probably too big for the OP. I think his budget might stretch to a 2021 Vauxhall Crossland auto. Stellantis wisely use the Aisin reliable TC box and a 3yr old puretech engine should by now be reliable.

Just occurred that PSA/Stellantis options are also all torque converter with the Puretech 1.2 turbo. ......... That opens up a lot more choices, Citroen C3, C3 Aircross and C4 Cactus, Peugeot 208 and 2008, Vauxhall Corsa and Grandland.

Grandland probably too big for the OP. I think his budget might stretch to a 2021 Vauxhall Crossland auto. Stellantis wisely use the Aisin reliable TC box and a 3yr old puretech engine should by now be reliable.

Yeah I did actually mean the Crossland, senior moment!

But I'd also agree with the notion of looking at EV's (if suitable re charging and range) because there are some great options around, as young as 2022, within a £12k budget.

Best small automatic? - Steveieb

My daughter in laws Y reg Yaris is still going strong at 25 years old . Must be the most reliable thing on the planet?

Now suffering from rust but mechanically perfect. The early ones are built in Japan , have a TQ converter auto box and with the 1.3 engine quite nippy . Even the air con works and hasn’t been refilled.

Bought seven years ago with sketchy service history and still worth £1000 . Her mother’s later model with the electronic gear box suffered a failure but the brain was changed and it’s been fine ever since.

Thanks everyone for your input,looks like we are going for a 2019 Jazz cvt...subject to rigorous inspection/test drive etc lol!

Thanks everyone for your input,looks like we are going for a 2019 Jazz cvt...subject to rigorous inspection/test drive etc lol!

We had one from 2017-2019, it was a brilliant little car.

Just be aware that it has very little torque (and what there is peaks at 5k rpm!). Doesn't really create a problem in urban running, but the nature of the CVT (which is electronically stepped to mimic having 7 gears) means that on the flat or downhill, the revs at 70mph can be under 2500rpm. What this means though, in combination with the lack of torque, is that the revs will flare dramatically on hills, which can be tiresome. You can also take manual control of the "gears" via the paddles behind the steering wheel, but because the CVT reacted so quickly, I never bothered unless in wintery conditions.

The lack of torque also means that performance can feel pretty flat unless you rev it (peak power is at 6k rpm). I did, frequently(!), and was not only very happy with the performance, but also found it great fun to hustle along a twisty country road.

Edited by badbusdriver on 24/09/2024 at 15:03

Best small automatic? - Engineer Andy

Very practical cars, though you won't find one (in good condition) that's cheap (in the post pandemic era0 to be cheap. Not so bad if you want to keep it long term.

I would personally avoid the specific model variants with lower profile tyres, because they make the ride firmer and, more often than not, cost more over the lifetime of the car because they don't last as long, are more susceptible to damage from poorly surfaced roads and speed humps, and are more expensive to replace than higher profile ones.

It's not as though you buy the Jazz for its handling prowess, which isn't terrible, just not great.

If you do want that size of car that is an excellent handler and has decent performance, then the last of the Mazda CX-3s in SE-L / SE-L Nav form shod on sensible 16in wheels is good - a bigger boot than its smaller sibling the 2 (though the cabin is almost identical), though not huge, at 350L, it does benefit from having the Mazda3's 2L petrol engine, which in this car gives a good combo of performance and efficiency.

The auto version is nice and smooth and will give 40mpg average for mixed driving. I'd avoid the Sport and 4x4 models because the boot is smaller due to the addition of the 4x4 drivetrain in the latter and 18in rims on both (firmer ride and costs). The SE-L models are well equipped for the money.

The downside for the car is that the cabin isn't large/as versatile in comparison to Jazzes, and the boot floor does, I think, need raising a bit (making it smaller) if you want to have the (expensive - £400) space-saver spare wheel/tyre fitted in the underboot area, which I'd recommend, given how poor manufacturers' 'tube of goo' are at temporarily keeping air in a flat tyre until you reach a tyre fitter to replace it (I doubt if they could repair one after using the goo).

Best small automatic? - SLO76
While I’m happy to recommend a Honda Jazz to anyone the CVT autos are very much sought after and usually command very strong money. I’d add a few other options in to widen the search. The Corsa is much overlooked but they’re mechanically simple, use an age old and well tried and tested 1.4 petrol motor that will last if it sees regular fresh oil. The torque converter transmission is robust and well liked by the trade. No complex twin clutch gearboxes here. They’re cheap, simple and pretty tough as long as you avoid the 1.3 diesels and 1.0 and 1.4 turbocharged petrols. I believe the auto was only available with the old 1.4 anyway. Not much to fear here.

The Mazda 2 auto is a brilliant little car, but autos are fairly rare and owners tend to keep them until either they or the car dies. Ex mobility main dealer approved used stock is good news, but watch for poor paint repairs, especially on metallic red cars which are a nightmare to match. Nicer than the Corsa to drive, but a bit more money. Again it uses a straightforward non-turbocharged chain driven petrol motor with a torque converter transmission so there’s little to fear.

The new Toyota Yaris hybrid is too rich here, but the older hybrid or CVT autos are perfectly decent little cars, if a bit dated. As with anything else look for a low mileage full history car.

Don't touch anything with VAG’s dry clutch DSG box, such as a VW Polo, Seat Ibiza, Audi A1 or Skoda Fabia. Great cars, but the gearbox is fragile. Ditto Ford’s Fiesta with the Powershift box and/or 1.0 Ecoboom motor. The older Fiesta with the 1.4 Zetec SE motor and torque converter box is fine, but getting a bit old now. A tidy low mileage example would be a good budget option. Just be sure of what you’re buying.
Best small automatic? - madf

As long as the CVT oil is changed every 25k miles, a Jazz auto is great,

If not, the change can get sticky and it can go bang eventually. £££s

Hi,thanks for that,very informative.Those are the 4 cars I have actually being looking at.Unfortunately not having driven any of them personally I am relying on the good old internet reviews so far although I am going to have a look at some today hopefully.The difficulty here is my wife had a 2003 focus auto for 17 years,loved it,and in a moment of madness I thought it would be about time she updated so we bought a 2016 Pro ceed,she hated it especially the DCT box.That has now gone along with my credability..ouch.If the Internet reviews are anything like,the Mazda 2 is a great car but has excessive road noise comparably,the Corsa is ok,and as you say,a torque converter box(and cheaper),the Yaris is very dated,particularly compared to the Jazz which comes over as the winner ??…Help me out guys please,my wife really only wants a reliable small vehicle from her point of view,which one is it to be please ????,this could be marriage saving lol!

The problem with reviews, whether motoring press or from owners, is that objectivity can vary dramatically depending on the reviewers own perspective, preferences, what they are used to driving (re ride, refinement, performance and handling). It is much easier to get an overall picture if there are lots and lots of reviews enabling you to get an "average".

On top of that, there is a lot of negativity shown by the motoring press towards CVT transmissions, who'd have you believe they are awful things which should be avoided at all costs. It was actually just the question CVT's which prompted me to join this forum before we ended up getting a Jazz. TBH, the forum didn't really help with some pretty extreme (and dated as it turns out) views being aired. But ignoring the CVT aspect, most motoring press said the Jazz had an uncomfortably hard ride, whereas the Honest John review said it had a very good ride!. Now there were two different wheel/tyre combo sizes, the Sport and EX (which we had) got the bigger wheels with lower profile tyres, the S and SE had the smaller wheels with higher profile tyres. My own opinion was that the ride on ours was firm, but not uncomfortable.

If I were to go back in time and choose the Jazz again, I would, but would probably go for an SE. But, given the choice between a Jazz and a late previous shape Yaris hybrid (or non hybrid 1.5) think I'd go for the Yaris. Personally, I am not interested in whether a car is dated or not (and the fact that your wife loved her 2003 Focus suggests it shouldn't be a factor for you either!), I am interested in that it fits our needs and is a good cart!. Does it have enough space, is it comfortable, does it drive well, is it reliable.

Thing about ride comfort and noise levels is that tyre size and indeed tyre make and type can make a difference. As a general rule, the wider and lower profile tyre (on a bigger wheel) will result in a poorer ride and higher noise levels, along with being more susceptible to damage through potholes and kerbing, and (slightly) worse mpg (and more expensive to replace). But two different makes of the same size tyre can also have differing noise levels/ride comfort.

But ultimately, the only person who can say which of your choices is best, is your wife. So what you need to get out and take some test drives.

Extra choice may not be welcome, but I'd also suggest looking at the Kia Venga and Hyundai ix20. These are the same cars barring some minor trim and styling differences. They are short cars but deceptively spacious because of how tall they are. They have a comfortable ride and use a t/c auto along with a n/a 1.6 petrol. Youngest will be 2019/2020.

Edited by badbusdriver on 26/09/2024 at 11:49

To be fair, you really know what you want out of the car. Jazzes aren't 'drivers' cars', but are fine for most driving, especially urban work, plus (other than the general good reliability) make great use of their interior space.

Best to go to some dealers and get a decent length test drive (on a wide variety of representative roads for your usage) of all of the contenders - preferably with the right (minimum you need) trim grade and, IMHO (unless you like that sort of thing*) not low shod on profile tyres.

* the 'excessive road noise' for the Mazda2 may be for the upper spec models shod on lower profile tyres and/or including the previous generation model (2007 - 15) which may have had less sound proofing than later cars. The best way is to drive them for yourself.

Note also that Mazdas (2 and the CX-3) don't have turbocharged petrol engines and will need to be given more right foot (and thus higher revs to generate the required power) make progress for overtaking, etc, which means their engines will generate more noise than their turbocharged rivals. The upside is that they won't have the reliability issues associated with turbochargers over the longer term.

Issues on the 2 and CX-3 regarding A/C systems should've all been fixed by now (probably relating to older cars).

PS. Avoid the Mazda diesels as you cannot guarantee how they've been used by previous owners, and are, IMHO, susceptible to reliability issues when primarily driven for short, urban journeys and where the DPF isn't allowed to naturally clear the system of debris (which can be a problem in almost all modern diesel engines if not used correctly).

Additionally, Mazda main dealers can be, IMHO, a bit hit and miss on the post sales front (rather like many European make and Ford). Honda tend to be more consistently good (like Toyota, though you can always come across some poorer dealers - often because of the quality of the [often across multiple makes] franchise holder). My local Mazda dealer (I've owned a Mazda3 since new from 2006) are quite good, and they also run the Honda dealership next door.

Best to check out the dealers - including as many different reviews of them (not just from one website) as well as the cars themselves, to get a more rounded picture, including what dealerships are like in your area.

Car and car owner reviews can be found here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/reviews/

www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/

Where roughly will you be looking?

I’m assuming your wife enjoys driving? If she liked her Focus than a pre-Powershift Fiesta might be a good call, ditto the Mazda 2. The Jazz isn’t particularly fun to drive, especially if one is enthusiastic with the throttle. You need to get out there and try a few. But don’t let yourself be talked into the wrong car by a lying salesman. They’ll tell you how wonderful a DSG/Powershift gearbox is and how glorious the 1.0 Ecoboost engine is. They’ll say anything to get a sale. Give me a rough search area and I’ll take a look at what’s about.
Where roughly will you be looking? I’m assuming your wife enjoys driving? If she liked her Focus than a pre-Powershift Fiesta might be a good call, ditto the Mazda 2. The Jazz isn’t particularly fun to drive, especially if one is enthusiastic with the throttle. You need to get out there and try a few. But don’t let yourself be talked into the wrong car by a lying salesman. They’ll tell you how wonderful a DSG/Powershift gearbox is and how glorious the 1.0 Ecoboost engine is. They’ll say anything to get a sale. Give me a rough search area and I’ll take a look at what’s about.

One thing to mention about the Fiesta - ecoBoom (IMHO) troubles aside, is that it may be possible to source a non-Powershift auto from the later crop of Feistas after Ford dumped the Powershift to go back to the torque converter auto box. Not sure when that exactly was though, but I would be wary given sales staff might still try and flog a Powershift-equipped car pretending it isn't.

I personally still wouldn't get a Fiesta if it has a Ecoboost engine, given its history of problems and generally with the 'belt in oil' technology equipped cars (including those from Stellantis - Peugeot, Citroen, Vauxhall, etc using their PureTech engines).

I'd stick to tried and tested ordinary belt and especially chain driven ones that don't have any history of reliability issues.

Hi all,thanks again for all your input.We went out and around yesterday,had a look at the Mazda 2 which was a bit disappointing,a rather dull car.Checked out the 2019 Jazz which I liked but my wife was surprised that it was bigger than expected.Next on to our local excellent Toyota dealership to look at a hybrid Yaris which was sold…ended up buying a 2022 Aygo X CVT auto which is a smashing little car,wife loves it,spent too much money but hey ho lol!

Hi all,thanks again for all your input.We went out and around yesterday,had a look at the Mazda 2 which was a bit disappointing,a rather dull car.Checked out the 2019 Jazz which I liked but my wife was surprised that it was bigger than expected.Next on to our local excellent Toyota dealership to look at a hybrid Yaris which was sold…ended up buying a 2022 Aygo X CVT auto which is a smashing little car,wife loves it,spent too much money but hey ho lol!

Fine wee cars if you don't need anything bigger (or faster) and will undoubtably prove trouble free. Keep servicing the car at the dealer and the warranty will run to 10 years.

You may have spent too much, but if your wife is happy with it, that's the main thing!

BTW, re the size of the Jazz, a 2003 Ford Focus is 15.5cm longer and 7.7cm wider. An Aygo X, while shorter (by over 40cm) is 4.5cm wider.

Edited by badbusdriver on 27/09/2024 at 13:34

Thanks badbusdriver …I have driven an Aygo years ago and thought it was quite good fun.Never driven the auto but I gather they are pretty poor although a lot are bought apparently.This new Aygo Cross has a CVT instead of the automated manual,is very smooth but things get raucous if you toe it as CVTs do.I quite like this 10yr scheme,basically you are buying a warranty every year with the service thrown in.

Edited by Phil F. on 27/09/2024 at 17:17

Perfectly decent little car, hope it does you well.

Thank you.