What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Jazz - Red light camera - TomaszW

Hi All. My first post here and need some help and your opinion.

I was driving today by crossing with red light camera, just when lights turned amber I passed the stop line but stopped the vehicle after it and didn't pass the junction. Is it possible that I will get a fine? I panicked to get through the crossing and stopped the car. Do I have to get through the whole junction to trigger the camera? Please let me know what you think.

Sorry if the post is a bit chaotic. If something not clear enough then I can explain further.

Kind regards

Honda Jazz - Red light camera - Middleman

The camera is designed to detect if your vehicle was moving beyond the stop line after the lights had turned red. If you had come to a halt before they changed to red, even if you finished up beyond the stop line, you will not hear anything.

Honda Jazz - Red light camera - Adampr

Hi All. My first post here and need some help and your opinion.

I was driving today by crossing with red light camera, just when lights turned amber I passed the stop line but stopped the vehicle after it and didn't pass the junction. Is it possible that I will get a fine? I panicked to get through the crossing and stopped the car. Do I have to get through the whole junction to trigger the camera? Please let me know what you think.

Sorry if the post is a bit chaotic. If something not clear enough then I can explain further.

Kind regards

You're probably in the clear. They are normally set up to catch people crossing the junction, not just going over the line a bit. In any case, you would only get a fine. Not nice, but not the end of the world.

Honda Jazz - Red light camera - Bromptonaut

As above, the camera set up is designed to 'catch' vehicles that are moving over the line after the light turns red. Like speeding there's a degree of latitude as well so the offending has to be pretty clear.

I got caught by one on a massive gyratory in Leicester a few years ago. I got a safer driving course rather than fine and points. Like Speed Awareness Courses for those who want to learn there's plenty of opportunity.

Honda Jazz - Red light camera - Middleman

In any case, you would only get a fine.

And three penalty points. As Bromptonaut says, a course is usually offered provided the "time into red" is not excessive and the driver has not done course in the previous three years.

Edited by Middleman on 19/08/2024 at 08:18