Renault Clio 2 1.2 16V - Overheating - mcb100
Younger daughter today on a road trip rings me to say a couple of warning lights are on - further questioning reveals the temp gauge is well above mid-point.
It would then cycle up and down a few times then stabilise.
I’ve had to add coolant - expansion tank being empty or close on empty, I can’t see an obvious leak in the few minutes I’ve had, but I do know that the engine fan is cutting in.
I’ve ordered a new thermostat, and will hunt for a leak around the housing, but anyone any other likely suggestions. It had a new radiator probably 18 months ago.
Renault Clio 2 1.2 16V - Overheating - Adampr

When was the coolant level last checked? It may be a very minor leak that has gone unnoticed until now when it's fairly hot.

Entirely possible it’s been a very small loss over a good length of time.
You have to lean over and look into the filler neck to see the contents as the expansion bottle is stained internally.
I’ll drive it tomorrow and see how it does.
Renault Clio 2 1.2 16V - Overheating - bathtub tom

I've had exactly this, a sticky t/stat. Hope yours is the same.

Renault Clio 2 1.2 16V - Overheating - FiestaOwner

The car might not be overheating. A faulty temperature sensor could cause an erratic operation of the temperature gauge and run the cooling fan, even if the engine isn't particularly hot.

Renault Clio 2 1.2 16V - Overheating - elekie&a/c doctor
Very likely to be a water pump leaking.
Renault Clio 2 1.2 16V - Overheating - Andrew-T
Entirely possible it’s been a very small loss over a good length of time. You have to lean over and look into the filler neck to see the contents as the expansion bottle is stained internally. I’ll drive it tomorrow and see how it does.

If you can easily detach the reservoir and clean it out, I suggest you do. If the staining is mucky brown that suggests rust, and the coolant may never have been renewed. Used to be a common problem with Renaults as coolant changes were not on the schedule, so no-one did them.

Renault Clio 2 1.2 16V - Overheating - John F

If the staining is mucky brown that suggests rust, and the coolant may never have been renewed.

Modern sealed systems do not 'rust' significantly, even with cast iron blocks. Mucky brown coolant suggests a more serious problem. Unless it was changed in the 29,000 miles and three years before we bought it, our Focus went to the scr@pyard at 21yrs old and 160,000+ miles with its original clear pink coolant. The only people who advance unconvincing arguments to change it every five or ten years are either those with a vested interest in doing so or those who unquestioningly follow their dogma.

Nearly forgot to add - in this case, I would lay odds that the symptoms and signs point to early CHG failure.

Edited by John F on 07/08/2024 at 12:00

(duplicate post)

Edited by Andrew-T on 07/08/2024 at 09:35

Plenty of threads on here relating this kind of difficulty !

Ended up sending the car to a local garage, due to lack of time and inclination to get my hands dirty. They’ve just called to say they’ve found a cracked thermostat housing.
So it lives to fight another year until she graduates and can buy herself something newer.