What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Clio Mk2 Phase 1 - 2001 - Clio No power to fuel pump - Fuse? Relay? Diagram? - Colin K

2001 Clio Mk2 Phase 1 - 2001 Petrol

This car sat for 5 years unused. I recently started it with a fully charged battery. It started after a few seconds. I drove it around the block for a few minutes. All was fine, except brakes need freed up.

A few days later someone else tried to start it but failed. I went to the car and found no fuel getting to the injectors, then found no power at the fuel pump.

I did not have any cable so could not send power to the pump to see if that resolved the issue. I plan to do that next time I go the car.

While not having a wiring diagram I did not know what fuse to check, but checked every fuse under the bonnet and every fuse in left side under dash - all OK.

I have read elsewhere that on "some Clio model" a relay powers fuel pump and coil pack. I will test power to coil pack if power to fuel pump does not fix the issue.

MY QUESTION
In the meantime, any help about possible blown fuse or faulty relay would be helpful as would a wiring diagram.

Note this has a very different fuse box / relay set up to the Phase 2. There is not a bank of relays under the bonnet at LH Front.

One other query. How do I get the connector off the pump. I assume I should press the metal strip on the side but it will not move. I have been reluctant to apply too much pressure where I should not.

See Photo

Clio Mk2 Phase 1 - 2001 - Clio No power to fuel pump - Fuse? Relay? Diagram? - elekie&a/c doctor
Have you got spark at the spark plugs . ? No spark means the fuel system won’t energise the relays and pump .
Clio Mk2 Phase 1 - 2001 - Clio No power to fuel pump - Fuse? Relay? Diagram? - Colin K

Update

This car is some distance away. I have only seen it once since my original post.

The key diagnostic is when ignition is turned on the coil unit and fuel pump get 12v+ for about 2 seconds, then 0v.

See image of test of all cables at coil unit and fuel pump.

The issue is not (I believe the red crash button). I have both pressed it and bypassed it. See photo.

Reminder. Car sat for 5 years. Started easily. Drove for 10 minutes. Returned a few days later and no start.

Any further suggestions?

More relevant info to previous replies.

This is a Clio MK2 phase 1. It does not have relays under the bonnet, near the battery.

It is parked against a hedge so I have not checked around the glove box for relays. If relays are there, do I need to remove glove box?

On first day of the problem I checked all fuses under the bonnet and to left of glove box (see image). All were OK

Any further guidance would be appreciated.

under bonnet fuses - no relays

cable Testing at coil unit and petrol pump

left fuse box

Clio Mk2 Phase 1 - 2001 - Clio No power to fuel pump - Fuse? Relay? Diagram? - bathtub tom

The key diagnostic is when ignition is turned on the coil unit and fuel pump get 12v+ for about 2 seconds, then 0v.

I had a car that wouldn't operate the fuel pump with the ignition on. Operating the starter overrode this. Once the engine was running, power was supplied to the pump as long as the oil light was off. Infuriating safety device in the event of a crash. I utilised it as an anti-theft device. Could this be similar, although it also could be a security thing?

Clio Mk2 Phase 1 - 2001 - Clio No power to fuel pump - Fuse? Relay? Diagram? - elekie&a/c doctor

Has this got 4 seperate coils or one coil with 4 leads ? Also ,i'll ask the same question again , is there a spark at the plugs. ? Is the engine ecu bolted to the back of the inlet manifold with a metal cover over it?

Thanks for your questions and apologies for ignoring the spark question.

I will check all your points next time I visit the car in the next week or two.

Update

I have a spark.

I switched positions of the three relays beside the battery

I cleaned the crank sensor - good video youtu.be/3Bu-E5HQqjI?feature=shared

I have power to the fuel pump when cranking but no fuel coming from pump.

I assume I have a faulty pump, unless someone has some other suggestion.

It seems that it is the same pump for Clio petrol from 2001 to 2020 - am I correct?

Numbers on the pump: 8200 112 805 0974 665 9901

Prices vary form £40 to over £200 Used / New

Edited by Colin K on 01/09/2024 at 12:44

If you have a spark , then the crank sensor can be eliminated. Power at the pump with no fuel coming up suggests the pump is toast . Have you checked the earth wire at the pump for a good circuit? Think it’s the green/yellow wire . You can probably replace just the pump part without changing the whole module. Looks like you can buy the whole thing for around £50-60

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 01/09/2024 at 12:52

I have an earth. No green/yellow wire. The two main wires are black (neg) and brown (pos).

The fuel sender unit does not work, so I think it is time to buy a pump!

Clio Mk2 Phase 1 - 2001 - Clio No power to fuel pump - Fuse? Relay? Diagram? - Oli rag

Do you definitely have fuel going in to the fuel pump?

It’s a submersible pump , sits in the bottom of the tank.