What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Xileno

In this thread you may:

Ask any question for EVs which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever

Discuss articles that have been hosted elsewhere (this may be reviewed after a while to see how it's working)

NB Some EV subjects may be more appropriate to continue in a separate thread. An example might be if someone is looking to buy a new car and giving an account of test-driving several ICE and EV vehicles. Another example might be if someone is giving an update on the EV they have bought and wants to feedback their experiences to others. Moderators will use their discretion in situations like these.

Rules:
No or minimal politics
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see forum terms and conditions)

Any of the above are likely to be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will be removed.

When a thread gets to a certain size it will be made read-only and a new Volume created.

This is Volume 11. Previous Volumes will not be deleted but will get locked.

A list of previous Volumes can be found HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW issue for discussion, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in its own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Xileno on 09/07/2024 at 20:27

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - SLO76
EV buy of the day. Don’t even think about buying a costly new or nearly new EV as depreciation will more than wipe out any savings. I get the appeal of a tax payer funded workplace scheme, these can make financial sense, but sinking £20/£30k plus of your own money into one isn’t economically viable. A used Leaf however makes a fantastic second car or runabout for people who don’t regularly travel more than 60 miles from home.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202406150773242
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - badbusdriver

A used Leaf however makes a fantastic second car or runabout for people who don’t regularly travel more than 60 miles from home.

Unless of course you were to choose the 62kWh version?

A used Leaf however makes a fantastic second car or runabout for people who don’t regularly travel more than 60 miles from home.

Unless of course you were to choose the 62kWh version?

Absolutely, but they are much rarer. Most end up on taxi fleets. Prices at dealers are generally much higher, which harms the economics of the game. But this particular one is decent value and being a private sale there’s usually more scope to do a deal. It’s still around £3k dearer than a similar private sale 40kwh car.

Edited by SLO76 on 10/07/2024 at 11:51

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Ethan Edwards

Isn't it still a Chademo connection? Which are becoming obsolete.

IIncidentally there are now 64,000 public chargers in Britain. Well on track for 2030. Vanishingly rare for such a success story to go completely under the radar. Zero mainstream publicity. Now why would that be?

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - pd

All LEAFs are Chademo. At the moment there are still plenty of chargers but longer term they obviously won't increase much.

This is one of the reasons they are quite cheap. If you don't fast charge much or ever I guess you can see it as maybe making them a bargain but equally if you are charging around on motorways all day it's probably not a sensible choice.

I think Lexus are still selling one model with Chademo.

Yes that's fair. As long as people buying them understand the limitations Chademo imposes, all good.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - mcb100
I’m currently charging at an Instavolt charger somewhere near Portsmouth, and each charger has both CCS and Chademo.
You can find them.
But as more chargers are installed, the greatest proportion will be CCS only.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - movilogo

Carwow posted on YouTube drag race between Lamborghini Revuelto and Hyundai Ioniq EV SUV.

Yes you read that right.

Lambo won but only by fraction of a second.

EVs are for racing, not for carrying passenger :D

PS: emojis look fine on editor but do not appear in this forum after posting

Edited by movilogo on 19/07/2024 at 08:21

Spending a couple of days working with the MG Cyberster.
Two versions, both roadsters, there’s the single motor Trophy version and the twin motor GT. Both are quick enough, but the GT has a a quoted 0-62 time of 3.2 seconds.
The big bits of theatre are the scissor opening doors, operated via a couple of hydraulic rams.
£54,995 for the Trophy, £59,995 for the GT, very well equipped with no options available apart from paint.
The first electric convertible I’ve driven, and a very pleasant experience it is. There’s obviously no engine noise, but you can have artificially generated sounds piped through the stereo.
If it carried a German badge it’d be a lot more than the current asking price.

That's pretty cool but not mainstream. I read on another forum, that a new ( delivery mileage) Corsa-e was just bought for 18,800 otr. I'd guess it's the old 50kwh battery for that price but that compares pretty favourably with the price of the petrol version. And it's a pretty decent vehicle.

There are other low cost EVs coming on stream now.. Dacia , Citroen etc.

Exciting times.

Absolutely agree about exciting times ahead.

I’m scheduled to have a Citroen E-C3 (a fiver under £22,000) in September for three weeks, and the Dacia Spring (£14,995) shortly after that.
I’ve been fortunate enough to have messed around with some very powerful and expensive EV’s over the past few years, but I’m hugely looking forward to these two by way of a contrast.
EV’s are getting there, but prices are still too high compared to what the general public are prepared to pay in absence of a tax payer subsidy. The Dacia is the only EV that I think is priced correctly. The Citroen looks interesting, I’ve watched a few reviews and it seems comfortable and well regarded, but at £22k upwards I think it’ll still plummet in value over the first three years, which is great news for those of us who buy used. The Citroen will likely lose circa £15k in the first three years depending on spec, but if it proves to be robust it’ll make a great used option. I shudder to think what the MG will lose.

A low mileage three year old electric Corsa can be had for £8-£9k retail without much effort or less than £15k at a year old with next to no miles. A Nissan Leaf 40kwh can be had for £9k from a dealer at 4yrs old with less than 50k up. These make way more sense than sinking the best part of £25k into a small Citroen in my opinion. But the more the merrier. Let the big leasing firms and those with access to tax payer subsidies take the big losses.

As a used buy EV’s make a heap of sense, there’s really very little to go wrong. I regularly see decade old Nissan Leaf’s pottering around locally, still saving their owners money. Once they’re out of battery pack warranty then scrimp it, there’s nothing to be serviced, no oil changes, no timing belt to change, no exhaust to rot, no turbo to fail, no gearbox to need costly fluid changes every 5yrs or so. Just Mot it and run it till it drops.

Edited by SLO76 on 25/07/2024 at 22:49

. I regularly see decade old Nissan Leaf’s pottering around locally, still saving their owners money. Once they’re out of battery pack warranty then scrimp it, there’s nothing to be serviced, no oil changes, no timing belt to change, no exhaust to rot, no turbo to fail, no gearbox to need costly fluid changes every 5yrs or so. Just Mot it and run it till it drops.

That's exactly what I use mine for. It is ultimate shed motoring. Paid little for it and the sc*** value is currently not much more than £500 more than it cost. It costs 2p per mile to "fuel". Zero road tax (at the moment). It is a bit tatty but it all works. Does 60-70 miles. Good aircon, decent stereo, heated seats.

Nothing to really "service" on it and it feels like a car in old school Japanese build. Yes, it seems to have switchgear from a 1985 Bluebird but so what. The switches will no doubt be working long after the car.

Utterly useless on a "run" but for popping to work, the shops, the town, the dentist, the relatives and all the day to day drudgery motoring it is brilliant. Just charge it up every night. It is too old to worry about battery issues.

It is amazing how liberating almost "free" motoring is. Can't depreciate much more, £20 for 1000 miles, no servicing, not much to go wrong and when it does call the sc*** man.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - FiestaOwner

The Leaf's might make sense to lease too. I'm not keen on leasing myself, but I see on LeaseLoco, you can take a new one out on a 10,000 mile PA lease for 3 years with 3 months advance payment for £197.60 a month.

The Citroen AMI, for the same term/ mileage is £234.25 a month. Don't think anyone in their right mind would consider one of these though!

Usual caveat, I've never used LeaseLoco, so can't comment on how good they are.

The Leaf's might make sense to lease too. I'm not keen on leasing myself, but I see on LeaseLoco, you can take a new one out on a 10,000 mile PA lease for 3 years with 3 months advance payment for £197.60 a month.

The Citroen AMI, for the same term/ mileage is £234.25 a month. Don't think anyone in their right mind would consider one of these though!

Usual caveat, I've never used LeaseLoco, so can't comment on how good they are.

I use their website now and again to check lease prices (cars and vans) out of curiosity. They are basically just a price comparison site though, so any actual contract wouldn't be with them.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Brit_in_Germany

The petrol C3s offered via the button at the top range from £14k-26k. Where the EC3 fits in that range with regard to trim, I don't know but it shows the premiums for EVs (here £6k max) are now lower than they used to be.

Just looking at some information from Cleevely EV Mobile Services, who now own seven MG 5’s for carrying out field based EV servicing.

Their highest mileage one has done 133,524 in 2 years and 7 months and has a battery showing 91% SOH.

1st set of tyres at 51,000 - £280
2nd set at 101,000 - £280
3rd set looking at 145,000ish

1 x Charge port flap £114+vat
4 x pollen filters £36
3 x both front wiper blades - £78

That sort of mileage on such a short space of time must have involved a fair amount of rapid charging.
All very positive. I quite like the MG5, it’s cheap to buy (used) has above average range and is quite practical. Lots are taxis and business hacks so they’re being tested to destruction and standing up well from what I’m reading.
Just looking at some information from Cleevely EV Mobile Services, who now own seven MG 5’s for carrying out field based EV servicing. Their highest mileage one has done 133,524 in 2 years and 7 months and has a battery showing 91% SOH. 1st set of tyres at 51,000 - £280 2nd set at 101,000 - £280 3rd set looking at 145,000ish 1 x Charge port flap £114+vat 4 x pollen filters £36 3 x both front wiper blades - £78 That sort of mileage on such a short space of time must have involved a fair amount of rapid charging.

Looks very impressive. They get exceptional wear out of their tyres.

Of course the private punter, buying new, would need to pay for a service every year (or 15,000 miles) to keep the warranty intact.

According to MG it should have had the brake fluid changed 4 times!! Also, the coolant (presume they mean battery coolant) changed once.

www.mg.co.uk/servicing

Sticking with MG for a moment, I’ve just spent four days driving a Cyberster around Millbrook Proving Ground as part of tdealer launch activity.
The external temperature has shown very high 20’ms and 30 degrees Centigrade, and I’ve had the climate control set to ‘Auto’ and 18 degrees.
It’s a soft top, so possibly not the most airtight device in the world. Hood remained up as way too warm to lower.
By configuring one of the displays, I could see that 95% of battery power was used by the motor, 3% by the A/C and 2% ‘other’ - I’d imagine powering ECU’s, dashboard, etc.
The fan was running pretty fast on a continuous basis, given the difference between external temperature and what I’d asked for internally.
Wonder how this compares with working a compressor hard on an ICE car?

“ Wonder how this compares with working a compressor hard on an ICE car?”

Depends on the size of the car. A small petrol engined supermini will feel it if you run the AC, but a beefy turbo diesel exec will hardly notice.

Edited by SLO76 on 01/08/2024 at 23:25

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - expat
“ Wonder how this compares with working a compressor hard on an ICE car?” Depends on the size of the car. A small petrol engined supermini will feel it if you run the AC, but a beefy turbo diesel exec will hardly notice.

We have a 2lt petrol i30. Here in Australia it regularly hits 40'C in mid summer and the air con handles it very well. I haven't noticed any effect on the performance or fuel consumption and the air con is very cold. Mind you with what I hear of Korea's winters and summers you would expect the heater and air con to be good.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Terry W

The power required to run a heating or cooling system is trivial compared to keeping the car in motion.

Imagine a 3kw electric heater in the car on permanently on a cold day with a (say) 12C difference between internal and external temperatures.. The interior would rapidly become toasty warm.

To cool a car by a similar amount using air-con through a compressor would require ~1kw of power to achieve 3kw of cooling given a moderate level of air con performance.

Energy use in an hours EV driving may be in the region of 15-20kw. Thus a 50kwh battery may drive a car ~200 miles in ~3 hours.

Based on this very crude analysis - the power used by aircon is ~1kw for every 15-20kw spent creating forward motion - about 5%.

a

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Engineer Andy

The power required to run a heating or cooling system is trivial compared to keeping the car in motion.

Imagine a 3kw electric heater in the car on permanently on a cold day with a (say) 12C difference between internal and external temperatures.. The interior would rapidly become toasty warm.

To cool a car by a similar amount using air-con through a compressor would require ~1kw of power to achieve 3kw of cooling given a moderate level of air con performance.

Energy use in an hours EV driving may be in the region of 15-20kw. Thus a 50kwh battery may drive a car ~200 miles in ~3 hours.

Based on this very crude analysis - the power used by aircon is ~1kw for every 15-20kw spent creating forward motion - about 5%.

a

Sounds about the same efficiency reduction as an ICE car. The big difference (especially for petrol-engined cars) comes in the dead of winter when the temperature difference might be as much as 20degC, maybe even 25, where an ICE car, especially (ironically) less thermally efficient petrol engined ones can make us of the heat lost by the engine itself to help warm the cabin.

Wonder how this compares with working a compressor hard on an ICE car?

My Ibiza has a gauge to show how using the main consumers (Air con, heated rear window and mirrors) affect the fuel consumption. When I checked it on my commute today, It reckoned my A/C was using about 1/32 a gallon per hour. While I wouldn't bet on this figure being particularly accurate, I do know that my MPG on my 27 mile commute doesn't seem to be affected by my A/C being on or off (for the entire journey). Normally get about 55 MPG.

I normally keep my A/C on all the time. Modern A/C systems seem very efficient.

Audi e-tron - Do I want an EV? Latest news says no! - NAthan smith
Looking at changing my vehicle and whether or not to go from diesel to EV. I was shocked at the prices of the EVs and how much they have come down. Those poor people who bought new have lost a fortune. A 2020 E tron or Tesla 3 was the same piece as an equivalent Audi A4 estate, 3 series etc. Then I was shocked by the insurance a Tesla 3 is insurance group 50 the same as a Lamborghini! Recent press suggests sales of Ev are struggling, resale clearly have over the last few years and infrastructure is still not good enough. However, I want to do my bit for the environment and only have a short commute to work so an EV is still tempting. Has anyone recently switched to an EV from diesel and how have you found it?

Edited by NAthan smith on 09/08/2024 at 10:12

Audi e-tron - Do I want an EV? Latest news says no! - mcb100
Teslas are expensive to insure because they’re expensive to repair, because of the way they’re built with fewer, but larger, structural components.
Don’t believe everything you read in the press - year to date in 2024, petrol and diesel are down when compared to 2023, EV is up.
If you’ve only a short commute, assuming you can charge at home you’ll do it for peanuts in cost. If you have to charge in public, there are way more chargers than we currently need (have a look while you’re out and about, chances are they’ll be empty).
No more worries about cold starts and DPF’s.
There are some real EV bargains out there for the second owners.
Teslas are expensive to insure because they’re expensive to repair, because of the way they’re built with fewer, but larger, structural components. Don’t believe everything you read in the press - year to date in 2024, petrol and diesel are down when compared to 2023, EV is up. If you’ve only a short commute, assuming you can charge at home you’ll do it for peanuts in cost. If you have to charge in public, there are way more chargers than we currently need (have a look while you’re out and about, chances are they’ll be empty). No more worries about cold starts and DPF’s. There are some real EV bargains out there for the second owners.

Thanks for the reply. The issue with chargers are where they are located. Vast majority in and around London, North West 31 per 100,000 people and in rural areas Cornwall, Devon they are few and far between. I get the insurance costs but still crazy trying to compare a rear light cluster from a Tesla to a Lambo! I get the cost of the battery etc is it goes wrong. Still thinking about it not sure if I’ll ever make a decision!!
Audi e-tron - Do I want an EV? Latest news says no! - Engineer Andy
Teslas are expensive to insure because they’re expensive to repair, because of the way they’re built with fewer, but larger, structural components. Don’t believe everything you read in the press - year to date in 2024, petrol and diesel are down when compared to 2023, EV is up. If you’ve only a short commute, assuming you can charge at home you’ll do it for peanuts in cost. If you have to charge in public, there are way more chargers than we currently need (have a look while you’re out and about, chances are they’ll be empty). No more worries about cold starts and DPF’s. There are some real EV bargains out there for the second owners.

According to a Telegraph report, the only reason why ICE petrol is down is because they don't include non-plug-in 'proper' hybrids, which are up significantly in terms of sales.

It also said that the prediction for sales for 2024 for EVs will essentially be flat from last year, because of a significant drop in sales enquiries, especially from private buyers.

It additionally said that many manufacturers believe the coming years will be very bad for EV sales and, because of the mandatory sales targets (percentages of the total cars sold) they have to artificially lower ICE sales by making less, because EV sales won't be going up / or at best, by a far lower amount to keep up with the legislated minimums.

I'd love to know why any person or company would think of buying a new EV when depreciation and insurance is significantly higher than for MHEV ICE / standard hybrids, especially as it appear that many of the tax breaks (like zero VED, congestion charges and maybe even P11D) will be ending very soon, because government revenues have been dropping from such sources.

Even for second owners, whilst the depreciation makes them more affordable, the insurance penalty is still there - especially when so many EVs are big, very quick and originally very expensive, thus making any repairs / total write-off replacements extortionate to insure.

Especially when (it appears) even relatively minor accidents make repairs in and around the battery storage area uneconomic (thus being write-offs) because they are difficult to get to and form part of the car's structure.

Only the 'ordinary' EVs like the Leaf II will in any way be reasonably affordable, and then only as a second hand buy as a second car for local work only.

Audi e-tron - Do I want an EV? Latest news says no! - RT
Looking at changing my vehicle and whether or not to go from diesel to EV. I was shocked at the prices of the EVs and how much they have come down. Those poor people who bought new have lost a fortune. A 2020 E tron or Tesla 3 was the same piece as an equivalent Audi A4 estate, 3 series etc. Then I was shocked by the insurance a Tesla 3 is insurance group 50 the same as a Lamborghini! Recent press suggests sales of Ev are struggling, resale clearly have over the last few years and infrastructure is still not good enough. However, I want to do my bit for the environment and only have a short commute to work so an EV is still tempting. Has anyone recently switched to an EV from diesel and how have you found it?

It's probably their finance companies who've lost out - almost all new cars are leased or PCP.

Agree although still a percentage of private cash buyers. My neighbour paid £55,000 for a new Etron 3 years ago, did 38,00 miles. Sold it privately for £21,500 that’s sickening
Audi e-tron - Do I want an EV? Latest news says no! - Ethan Edwards

Nathan, question 1 is can you charge at home? Do you have a parking space not too far from your consumer unit (aka fusebox).

If you don't then forget buying an EV. I pretty much run my EV within it's range only using public chargers in a dire emergency or a trip longer than my EVs range.

The cost of public chargers is at the moment comparable to a petrol car. Only if you home charge on a specialist EV tarriff are you going to get dirt cheap running costs.

My current tarriff has a night rate window of 9p per kw ( last years was 4.5p) but that still works out at 2.2p per mile for me.

Depends of course on your motivation. Mine is running costs, if yours is ecological then you'll just ignore the economics..

‘ The issue with chargers are where they are located. Vast majority in and around London, North West 31 per 100,000 people and in rural areas Cornwall, Devon they are few and far between.’

They’re being installed at the rate of about 2000 each month, 46% up from this time last year. I’m an EV regular who can’t charge at home, but here in Oldham (in the N-W) I’ve 42 public rapid chargers within 15 minutes of home.
And don’t forget c500,000 home and work chargers that’ll do the huge majority of charging.
Most people won’t ever need to charge in public.
Coincidentally, I’ve just received a daily email from an trade website saying that ‘middle aged’ EV’s (3-5 years old are the fastest selling category of cars - taking 23 days to sell.
Petrol and diesel are taking 28 days, the same as EV’s as a whole.
Demand for used EV’s is up 43% year on year, whilst demand for those 3-5 year old cars was up 138% over last year.
Three-to-five-year-old EVs cost on average £18,964 in July, which is almost the same price as a used petrol car of the same age (£18,076).
The slowest moving group of cars are those over 10 years old, taking 34 days to sell.
The fastest selling used car in July was the M-B GLB at 12 days, whilst the slowest was the Fiat 500e at 128 days.
The market is being flooded by EV’s coming off PCP and lease contracts so there are many tempting buys thanks to the low prices. A used Mk II Leaf makes for a fantastic second car at under £10k for one with sensible miles up. Just don’t buy if you intend on short term ownership as depreciation will continue to be fierce as the trade just dont know how to value them. Buy it and run it til it dies.
Our firm have been taking advantage of the plummeting EV prices to replace our pool car fleet with Renault Zoe’s. They’re proving to be much more reliable than the previous petrol driven superminis we ran and I find the Zoe to be quite good fun to drive. Plenty of go and surprisingly nimble despite the added weight. I’m trying to convince the gaffer to buy its replacement the new Renault 5 as a rolling advert. It’s the first new car I’ve really fancied in years.
Our firm have been taking advantage of the plummeting EV prices to replace our pool car fleet with Renault Zoe’s. They’re proving to be much more reliable than the previous petrol driven superminis we ran and I find the Zoe to be quite good fun to drive. Plenty of go and surprisingly nimble despite the added weight. I’m trying to convince the gaffer to buy its replacement the new Renault 5 as a rolling advert. It’s the first new car I’ve really fancied in years.

Isn't the Zoe the one which has the access to the EV battery area in the passenger compartment, which apparently means any battery fire will spread into that area first?

Any source for the 'apparently'?

‘Isn't the Zoe the one which has the access to the EV battery area in the passenger compartment, which apparently means any battery fire will spread into that area first?’

I suspect you’re referring to the firefighter access port to the traction battery found in Scenic and Megane. It’s under the rear seat and allows the battery to be filled with extinguishant.
The chances of it ever being used are remote - 511 verified cases of thermal runaway in 40 million EV’s since 2010.

www.evfiresafe.com/_files/ugd/8b9ad1_1e058681d2e44...f
‘I’m trying to convince the gaffer to buy its replacement the new Renault 5 as a rolling advert. It’s the first new car I’ve really fancied in years.’

I’ve a big birthday next year, and looking at acquiring my first ever brand new car. If I do, it’ll either be the Renault 5 or the equivalent Alpine (price differential dependant).
In the meantime, I need to get my council to approve a cross pavement cable solution - slow going, but we’re getting there. It’ll be useful even if I don’t own an EV for job cars.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - expat

"In the meantime, I need to get my council to approve a cross pavement cable solution - slow going, but we’re getting there."

Let us know how you go with that. There are lots of people who would like that. It would be good to know what the council will approve and what not. Also why not.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - FP

I have been reading this thread with some interest and was wondering how far it would go before someone tried to inject something negative. Thankfully the recent example a few posts up is something very low risk. Now, I wonder what is the actual percentage of fires starting in EVs compared with ICEs.

Ah - here's a statistic: Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency found that EVs are 20 times less likely to catch fire than ICE cars. No idea if that is a reliable figure, but I do get the impression that the fire-risk thing is a favourite (fictitious) stick to beat the pro-EV people with.

Edited by FP on 11/08/2024 at 14:17

As someone who spends a chunk of his working life writing and delivering training courses in EV objection handling and mythbusting, it’s relentless.
The same ones trotted out time and time again, seldom backed up with any data, just anecdotal evidence.
I get that it’s the biggest change in motoring the the past 120 years, but we can’t carry on doing what we’ve always done and expect different results.

The Luton Airport car park fire (October 2023) was seized on for a while as "proof" of how dangerously fire-prone EVs supposedly are, with an EV being blamed as the cause - with no evidence, of course.

Then the truth was revealed. It was an electrical fault in a "pure" ICE car - a diesel, not EV, not hybrid.

Edited by FP on 11/08/2024 at 18:11

To which the anti-EV’er would reply - ‘but there would have been EV’s in the car park that set alight as a result…’.
I have heard that one.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - focussed
To which the anti-EV’er would reply - ‘but there would have been EV’s in the car park that set alight as a result…’. I have heard that one.

Have you heard and seen this one?

A Mercedes EV parked in an underground garage in Incheon South Korean city under an apartment high rise, had been parked there for 3 days not plugged in to charge, explodes into fire for no reason, apart from the fact it’s an EV.

No fatalities but some affected by fumes. smoke etc, 140 cars damaged and the building polluted by the chemical fallout from the fire.

The SK government is considering banning EV’s from underground parking garages.

https://x.com/i/status/1818858174423933183

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Nat smith

How about this objective opinion then?

Buying an EV is economic madness. You might want an EV for many reasons but if you think it will save you money you are wrong. EVs cost many £000s more to buy than their equivalent ICE car and save the average motorist several £00s in fuel costs per year. Factor in that insurance costs much more for EVs and the average/most motorists will never get back the extra cost of buying an EV.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - RT

Buying an EV is economic madness. You might want an EV for many reasons but if you think it will save you money you are wrong. EVs cost many £000s more to buy than their equivalent ICE car and save the average motorist several £00s in fuel costs per year. Factor in that insurance costs much more for EVs and the average/most motorists will never get back the extra cost of buying an EV.

That's only true for private buyers buying new cars - for business users, the much lower BIK tax alters the arithmetic considerably and for used car buyers the costings are very different.

I "can't" buy an EV because I tow a caravan long distances and EV range and recharging arrangements are not yet adequate - but that'll change eventually.

Not if you buy used after the bulk of the value has been lost. A secondhand Nissan Leaf can be had for less than an equivalent petrol or diesel model and it costs a fraction of the money to run. I wouldn’t buy anything new, petrol, diesel or electric. It’s financial madness, unless the cost is being met by your employer.

I have been reading this thread with some interest and was wondering how far it would go before someone tried to inject something negative. Thankfully the recent example a few posts up is something very low risk. Now, I wonder what is the actual percentage of fires starting in EVs compared with ICEs.

Ah - here's a statistic: Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency found that EVs are 20 times less likely to catch fire than ICE cars. No idea if that is a reliable figure, but I do get the impression that the fire-risk thing is a favourite (fictitious) stick to beat the pro-EV people with.

As someone who used to work on compliance projects on the London Tube, which involved safety and risk, there;s a whole world of difference between 'risk of fire' and the actual result of a fire. In addition, which cars tend to catch fire also makes a big difference.

It may well be that EVs are less likely to catch fire that ICE car, but:

a) I wouldn't be surprised that a large number of ICE car fires are from either much older, poorly maintained cars - which means EVs need to be compared to similar aged ICE cars and who do similar mileages per year in similar areas, not just the whole lot;

b) Similarly, many ICE car fires seem to involve ultra high performance sports cars 'spontaneously combusting' when left/driven in direct sunlight in periods of hot weather.

I wonder how different the score will be if they compared 'like with like'.

c) given what appear to often happen with EV fires, namely that the fire brigade cannot put them out (due to thermal runaway, inherent to lithium batteries) and they burn so hot (far more than ICE fire, often similar to 'thermite') that they easily and quickly spread to adjoining vehicles and properties, meaning the effects of the original fire is often several magnitudes greater - in cost and even lives.

d) that EVs often / mostly use the battery compartment as a structural component of the car itself often means that a relatively minor crash - even if a fire didn't occur, means that is is uneconomic to check that entire part of the car for structural integrity, often resulting in the car being a write-off.

The above two issues and the high cost of replacing parts and dealing with knock-on issues from EV fires is likely why the cost of insuring them has (once insurers cottoned on) skyrocketed for many.

‘How about this objective opinion then?

Buying an EV is economic madness. You might want an EV for many reasons but if you think it will save you money you are wrong. EVs cost many £000s more to buy than their equivalent ICE car and save the average motorist several £00s in fuel costs per year. Factor in that insurance costs much more for EVs and the average/most motorists will never get back the extra cost of buying an EV.’

With battery prices falling rapidly, we’ll hit parity between otherwise identical ICE & EV probably within the next 2-3 years, then they’ll make even more sense for a low mileage retail customer.
I’ve just got the numbers from Zap-Map running costs calculator, and a Corsa-e (charging at 7.5p per kW/h) will run at 2.1 pence per mile, versus 17.9 pence per mile at today’s unleaded price. Anyone can work out their own annual mileage costs from there.
Looking at list prices is a bit of a false equivalency - most new cars are bought on a monthly figure, and the better deals are currently on EV.

If you look at the prices being asked in places like China the EVs are already as cheap or cheaper than ICE so parity has been breached. Battery costs continue to fall but sadly some European manufacturers seem behind the curve in their cost base.

If course what shouldn't be forgotten is that in many cases the EV version will also be nicer to drive. For a start it'll be an auto which may well cost extra on the ICE and it'll also probably be faster so you need to compare with the upper range ICE models. I don't think I've ever encountered an EV which isn't surprisingly pleasant to drive.

2+ years ago predictable objections re price, battery life, recharging network etc were somewhat justified, albeit short-sighted.

They are all now largely overcome, save for those with no off street charging capability who will need to rely upon higher cost public charging.

There is no shame in admitting that earlier sincerely held views have been proven wrong as events unfolded. Failing to accept that tired outdated arguments against EV are an irrelevancy is a denial of the inevitable.

‘ "In the meantime, I need to get my council to approve a cross pavement cable solution - slow going, but we’re getting there."

Let us know how you go with that. There are lots of people who would like that. It would be good to know what the council will approve and what not. Also why not.’

It’s a little bit of a closed loop at the moment, in that there’s a £300 grant available towards the installation of a home charge solution for people like me - I don’t have off-street parking, but I have the ability to park right outside the house.
The downside is that I can’t contravene Section 137 of the Highways Act by illegally blocking a pavement without authority - ie having a cable above ground level. I’m sure it’s done elsewhere, I just don’t want to.
There are guidelines to local authorities awaiting signing off and distribution from central government - from what I’ve found out, they will reassure local authorities that solutions like Kerbo are compliant within the above act.
What we don’t know yet is when this paper will leave someone’s desk in the Department for Transport and arrive with the LA’s.
Some councils have been proactive and gone ahead - notably Milton Keynes, West Berkshire and Nottinghamshire. With any luck, these schemes will live up to expectations and open the doors to getting cables safely from property to car.

Seen these?

chargearm.com/en/

No trip hazard with a cable with one of these. Surely you could bodge together something similar with a fishing rod and a bit of ingenuity, duck tape and cable ties for only a few quid.

I just have visions of all the budding Simone Biles in the area swinging off it…

Yes some people can't leave other people's stuff alone.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - catsdad

Hard to see its being much use without a dedicated parking space, a rarity in U.K. on public streets. Also not robust enough. U.K. has an issue with vandalism. Sadly.

Hard to see its being much use without a dedicated parking space, a rarity in U.K. on public streets. Also not robust enough. U.K. has an issue with vandalism. Sadly.

Indeed - and my guess it would last less than a day in such a street. It's like a proverbial 'open goal' for youths to do their best to break it by swinging on it or just pulling it down.

There's also no way I'd ever leave such a device connected to my car (even if the pole / cantilever were more sturdy), given that's an even more inviting target for vandals.

Plus I have serious doubts if this arrangement would be legally allowed or any damage done would be recoverable via insurance without you paying (even more) astronomical premiums for the car and home (as the charger would like not be covered by the motor policy).

I've said this many times before, but on road charging and/or in areas of high foot traffic that is not very secure is a BAD idea all around.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - daveyjp

I read the thread about the new MG yesterday and noticed the comment about MX30 for £11k. For a modern vehicle a few years old thats a bit of a bargain and would be a decent replacement for our second car,

So I did some further digging about ownership experience and found the following.

I've decided life is too short to even consider it!

My cold temperature recipe for my Mazda MX-30 is now :

• Keep Auto Battery Heating OFF, since ON is draining my HV battery even if the car is not connecting to a charger
  • Auto Battery heating to ON, ONLY if I plan to DC charge while on the road
  • Not use cabin pre-heating to often since it drains the 12V battery a lot ( interior fan and radiator fan are running )
  • Charge the 12V battery as often as possible. Important if many short trips during the week using seat heating etc.
  • Keep the car connected to the home wall charger
  • If I pre-heat the cabin the HV battery will drain 3-4% but then the wall charger is activated by the car and HV battery draining stops.
  • Be carefull with Cabin heating while driving. Better to lower temp and use seat heating to save juice
  • Use a Moisture Absorber to help against fogging
  • Check tyre pressure regulary and top up if necessary to 2,6 BAR
  • Lithium ion batteries don't like cold weather so careful with acceleration and don't take HV battery to far down, 20% or so before start charging
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Andrew-T
  • << Charge the 12V battery as often as possible. Important if many short trips during the week using seat heating etc.
  • Lithium ion batteries don't like cold weather so careful with acceleration and don't take HV battery to far down, 20% or so before start charging >>

Only two comments - you young wimps shouldn't need to heat your seats, or if you do, accept the consequences ... :-)

And NO batteries like cold weather, it's a physico-chemical fact of life !

Indeed the MX30 is a bargain but it has such a limited range I wonder why they made it. Must have been compliance reasons. But for a used EV bargain there's oodles of choice from Mokka-e 200m 50kwh version to the splendiferous MG4 some versions having over 320m range, and plenty of used Tesla. Every one with more range than the MX30 and none of the hassle you described above. Unless range isn't important to you why the MX30?

We're probably only 18 months away from realistic sub £10k Teslas. They'll represent a stonking bargain particularly when the performance and long range models inevitably come into that price range.

Pretty much "fully equipped" out-of-the-box, proving reliable at high mileages, performance you'd have had to have been in BMW M5 territory for just a few years ago, good range, good third party support and used parts infrastructure developing.

Far from being negative, in the next few years the sub £10k car buyer (and even probably the sub £5k buyer) will never have had such a choice of really good cars with loads of life left in them before.

I read the thread about the new MG yesterday and noticed the comment about MX30 for £11k. For a modern vehicle a few years old thats a bit of a bargain and would be a decent replacement for our second car,

So I did some further digging about ownership experience and found the following.

I've decided life is too short to even consider it!

My cold temperature recipe for my Mazda MX-30 is now :

• Keep Auto Battery Heating OFF, since ON is draining my HV battery even if the car is not connecting to a charger
  • Auto Battery heating to ON, ONLY if I plan to DC charge while on the road
  • Not use cabin pre-heating to often since it drains the 12V battery a lot ( interior fan and radiator fan are running )
  • Charge the 12V battery as often as possible. Important if many short trips during the week using seat heating etc.
  • Keep the car connected to the home wall charger
  • If I pre-heat the cabin the HV battery will drain 3-4% but then the wall charger is activated by the car and HV battery draining stops.
  • Be carefull with Cabin heating while driving. Better to lower temp and use seat heating to save juice
  • Use a Moisture Absorber to help against fogging
  • Check tyre pressure regulary and top up if necessary to 2,6 BAR
  • Lithium ion batteries don't like cold weather so careful with acceleration and don't take HV battery to far down, 20% or so before start charging

Not really sure what the message here is?

Without knowing what mileage the owner is trying to cover, or knowing how they drive, it is utterly meaningless. The MX30 is well known as having a small battery and therefore (obviously) a limited range. So the above reads (to me) like someone who simply hasn't bothered to do their homework. Either they have chosen a car with a smaller range than they need, they aren't prepared to drive in a manner to stretch the range, or a combination of both.

The MX30 isn't my cup tea, not specifically because of the range (though that is a factor), but because I just don't think it is a very good design. But if you like it, and its range is suitable for your needs (and for a 2nd car, I cant really see why it wouldn't?), then it is fine.

I read an interesting thread from the MX30 forum where it would seem that with a little practice (and effort) 4.3 miles per kWh is achievable in warmer weather and around 3.6 in winter.

• << Charge the 12V battery as often as possible. Important if many short trips during the week using seat heating etc.
  • Lithium ion batteries don't like cold weather so careful with acceleration and don't take HV battery to far down, 20% or so before start charging >>

Only two comments - you young wimps shouldn't need to heat your seats, or if you do, accept the consequences ... :-)

Using the heated sats in an EV is recommended as being a much more efficient way to keep the (front seat) occupants warm in cold weather.

The average mileage in the UK is 7500 miles per annum - about 150 miles [er week.

Many second cars used for local miles only will do less than 5000 per year - covers commuting, school run, shopping etc.

The MX 30 has a range of around125 miles. Even in winter with lower battery performance and heating loads assume (say) 100 miles means that many would need to recharge once or twice per week.

It may make very good sense for many households - decent well appointed car for not much money - particularly as a second car. That it does not suit those with higher milage needs does not render it useless - simply good value.

Stupidity in the context of EV range may be in paying for a 400 miles battery range when it is never needed.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - madf

The average mileage in the UK is 7500 miles per annum - about 150 miles [er week.

Many second cars used for local miles only will do less than 5000 per year - covers commuting, school run, shopping etc.

The MX 30 has a range of around125 miles. Even in winter with lower battery performance and heating loads assume (say) 100 miles means that many would need to recharge once or twice per week.

It may make very good sense for many households - decent well appointed car for not much money - particularly as a second car. That it does not suit those with higher milage needs does not render it useless - simply good value.

Stupidity in the context of EV range may be in paying for a 400 miles battery range when it is never needed.

Averages are misleading.

If lots of cars are second cars doing under say 7,000 miles, then by definition lots of others will do 15,000 miles.

If average is total mileage/number of cars, a greater number of cars will do less than average as some will do 20-50k pa. But very crudely 50% do less than average and 50% do more.

Just to check using Autotrader data - there are 22326 cars on sale at 10 years old. Of these 13012 (58%) have done less than 80k and 42% more than 80k.

So (plausibly) half the motoring public would be content with the range of an MX30. This may be rather simplistic:

- there will be those who do 20 400mile journeys a year and never use the car locally

- there will be those who could use another household car for the occasional long trip

We're probably only 18 months away from realistic sub £10k Teslas. They'll represent a stonking bargain particularly when the performance and long range models inevitably come into that price range.

Pretty much "fully equipped" out-of-the-box, proving reliable at high mileages, performance you'd have had to have been in BMW M5 territory for just a few years ago, good range, good third party support and used parts infrastructure developing.

Far from being negative, in the next few years the sub £10k car buyer (and even probably the sub £5k buyer) will never have had such a choice of really good cars with loads of life left in them before.

Not sure where that comment about sub £10k Tesla came from. Musk was going to drop the R&D entirely because he believed it to be unprofitable until he was 'persuaded' by certain political figures to 'change his mind'.

That sounds like more subsidies (including internally in manufacturing firms) required in order to artificially keep prices down for smaller cars.

The problem is that there is little demand for smaller EVs because most potential buyers do not (and likely will not have for decades / never have) access to home charging, and the promised widespread (to match that of ICE filling stations) ultra-fast public charging tech / infrastructure is still a minimum of two decades away, if not more.

Add to the mix the (because of, ironically, the shift to net zero policies and loss in tax revenues due to the switch to EV) likelihood of increased costs for charging and the introduction of road pricing, VED for EVs (next year - plus the >£40k charge) and being subject to 'congestion' charges in cities, plus hugely increased insurance, etc, means that the so-called 'economic advantages' of EVs (excluding the purchase price) over ICE will not be apparent.

This is particularly the case for people on average incomes or less, for those buying for Focus-sized cars and smaller, especially for those needing a commuting / all-rounder car and not just a 'second' car for low annual mileages.

I am not against EV tech, just that it is being pushed way too fast and by deliberately distorting the market for ideological reasons.

Many of the environmental benefits are either not true or significantly overplayed, with many other negative factors - including the widespread use of child labour / poor conditions and terrible damage done to the locale where mining is done for the rare earth metals required.

Additionally. the huge infrastructure spending (who's going to pay for that?) both by private and public bodies to cater for the huge and quick changes required to enable all this to happen in the timeframe set at governmental level.

Tesla can't even produce a car that retails for less than £30k (maybe even £40k).

Indeed the MX30 is a bargain but it has such a limited range I wonder why they made it. Must have been compliance reasons. But for a used EV bargain there's oodles of choice from Mokka-e 200m 50kwh version to the splendiferous MG4 some versions having over 320m range, and plenty of used Tesla. Every one with more range than the MX30 and none of the hassle you described above. Unless range isn't important to you why the MX30?

Agree with this. Also, 2023 Corsa-E's and Zoe's (available from under £15,000) seem to be a far better choice, than the MX30 on both the price and range front.

With an MX30, you'd always be suffering from range anxiety.

‘ Indeed the MX30 is a bargain but it has such a limited range I wonder why they made it. ’

Because it’s Mazda - they just do things differently. I’m sure they’ve also got sound reasons for the forthcoming CX-80 having a 3.3 litre straight six diesel.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - leaseman

(moved here by leaseman but penned by Carlitos55uk)

Dear John and everyone else

The idea to eliminate all petrol and diesel vehicles from our roads and replace them with electric ones supposed to be to help the environment .

My question is have the gov. informed us of the implications of all of us using all electric vehicles regarding where and how and what harmful gases the batteries are made of and the implications of disposing them in the future as they can't be recycled.

The other problem is that electric vehicles are much heavier than petrol or diesel ones, so our roads will have to be repaired more often and what about our bridges can they sustain the heavier load of lorries? Sure it will compromise the structural components of our bridges which our engineers design to accommodate less heavier vehicles.

What about electricity and changing points? We can't provide enough to cope with the demand if everyone uses electric vehicles .

Don't get me wrong I agree we have to do something to help the environment but the idea of trying to solve one problem and create several ones doesn't make sense ??

Electric power?....what a shower!!!!

Edited by leaseman on 17/08/2024 at 10:17

‘My question is have the gov. informed us of the implications of all of us using all electric vehicles regarding where and how and what harmful gases the batteries are made of and the implications of disposing them in the future as they can't be recycled.’

You don’t make batteries from gasses.
Yes you can, after they’ve lived a second life as a static power source.

‘ The other problem is that electric vehicles are much heavier than petrol or diesel ones, so our roads will have to be repaired more often and what about our bridges can they sustain the heavier load of lorries? Sure it will compromise the structural components of our bridges which our engineers design to accommodate less heavier vehicles.’

The vast majority of electric cars are lighter than a petrol Range Rover, and I don’t see any concern over them driving over bridges.
I’m not a truck expert, but from what I have read, HGV’s tend to be maxed out on volume and not weight (mass), so replacing a diesel engine, transmission and fuel tanks with a motor and battery packs will make little or no difference to the gross weight capability.

‘ What about electricity and changing points? We can't provide enough to cope with the demand if everyone uses electric vehicles .’
How about we ask National Grid?
www.nationalgrid.com/stories/journey-to-net-zero/e...s

Edited by mcb100 on 17/08/2024 at 10:35

The National Grid has boasted it can easily cope with EVs.

Trouble is planning permission for new cabling - for substations feeding fast chargers for one example - takes YEARS,

Unless that issue is resolved it cannot cope...the lead time currently is c7 years..

It is all smoke and mirrors. To make it happen , we need reform of planning... (One of the reasons for HS2's overruns was the planning had to change to sink lines in tunnels to avoid objections to the plans.)

The Planning reforms will be hugely unpopular.

Don't get me wrong I agree we have to do something to help the environment but the idea of trying to solve one problem and create several ones doesn't make sense ??

Realistically, the only way to significantly 'help the environment' would be to abandon the idea that everyone can continue driving as far and as often as they wish. So far that notion has not been seriously discussed AFAIK. The comforting idea that switching from burning fossil fuels to making colossal amounts of battery to be charged by loads of solar cells or wind turbines is really a lot of denial.

Discuss ?

‘ Not sure where that comment about sub £10k Tesla came from. ’

Used Teslas. Not new. Used.
‘ Not sure where that comment about sub £10k Tesla came from. ’ Used Teslas. Not new. Used.

Yes indeed I was referring to used. At the moment the cheapest retail ones seem to be about £12k and have 170k miles. I reckon in 18-24 months 100-120k mile examples will begin to pop up around £10k. We are not there yet but all cars depreciate. I reckon they look value at that bearing in mind the tech, economy, performance and long term reliability.

To be honest I wouldn't have too many concerns about a 170k mike example. They seem to be holding up very well. I just suspect you'll be able to get something lower mileage in the near future for the same money.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Pam10

I bought a new Audi RS3 in 2017 for £47k and sold it in 2023 to a well known site that buys any car for £32k having done 40k miles. I then bought a new electric Audi Q4 for £55k in April 2023 and had it valued at the same site that buys any car yesterday for £25500. It's done 18000 miles and lost £30k in15 months. Enough said! I like the Q4 - my wife loves it - Have no problems with range or charging on long journeys but that amount of depreciation....

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Adampr

If you like it, depreciation doesn't matter. Just keep driving it.

I bought a new Audi RS3 in 2017 for £47k and sold it in 2023 to a well known site that buys any car for £32k having done 40k miles. I then bought a new electric Audi Q4 for £55k in April 2023 and had it valued at the same site that buys any car yesterday for £25500. It's done 18000 miles and lost £30k in15 months. Enough said! I like the Q4 - my wife loves it - Have no problems with range or charging on long journeys but that amount of depreciation....

You should have lost a lot more on the RS3, but as new cars were in short supply, the value of used ones were artificially high. You probably overpaid for the Q4 for the same reason. However, as new cars are no longer in short supply, used cars can't command the high prices they could in 2023.

Depreciation only matters when you sell the car. You both like the car, so keep it for the long term and depreciation isn't an issue.

Historically, big expensive cars have always suffered from heavy depreciation (I'm referring to petrol and diesel cars). No reason EV's would be any different. I expect smaller cheaper EV's will hold their prices a lot better.

Buy used then, let someone else take that hit. I’ll wager the Audi will still be giving good service in a decade from now.

You were lucky with your old car - you bought it when new prices were still relatively low, then sold it when the twin effects of the Pandemic-born new car shortages (especially ICE cars), increased safety and emissions standards and much higher general inflation bumped up new and second hand car prices considerably, especially in-demand ICE petrol cars.

EVs, on the other hand, have been negatively affected in second hand values by bad press from battery fires, and the much higher insurance costs because:

a) those very EV fires, whilst supposedly rarer (to be confirmed per car on the road, not in total) than for ICE cars, tend to cause far more damage to nearby vehicles, buildings and people due to their far more ferociousness, toxicity of fumes (far more deadly than ICE cars) and are almost impossible to extinguish (thermal runaway)

b) apparently even relatively minor accidents that involve damage to the underside of the car can result in structural damage to the battery packs and their housings, which in many cars form part of the overall structure of the car.

Presumably it is too expensive to test and repair (as necessary) all these components to warrant insurance premiums staying at a similar level to ICE cars, and added to the possibility of one car causing £MMs of damage (even huge ships to sink) is likely why EV premiums have skyrocketed over the past year.

That and many 'ordinary-looking' family EVs having the 0-60 performance of a Lamborghini (but not necessarily the handling capability) in the hands of a driver used to a Mondeo 2L diesel.

The whole discussion about the danger of EV fires really hinges on how common they are. Given that they are more dangerous and harder to control once they occur, the risks associated with them centre on the frequency with which they occur. If they are uncommon, the risk is less.

"In Norway, which has the world’s highest proportion of electric car sales, there are between four and five times more fires in petrol and diesel cars, according to the directorate for social security and emergency preparedness. The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency this year found that there were 3.8 fires per 100,000 electric or hybrid cars in 2022, compared with 68 fires per 100,000 cars when taking all fuel types into account." (Guardian, 20 Nov 2023)

The press, particularly the right-wing tabloids, has tried to show EVs in as poor a light as possible by raising alarmist issues and the "EV fire" topic is a convenient, but misleading, part of their story.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - bazza

Good post thanks, proper data rather than made up scaremongering. why does the right wing press in the UK oppose anything that is logically a good thing, surely no one whichever way they lean politically can deny that weaning ourselves off fossil fuels is ultimately a "good thing" to do.

You can actually drill down more deeply into those figures.
Those are generic car fires - the cause could be a cigarette down the side of the seat, a 12V cable chafing through and causing a smoulder on some sound deadening material. Happens to cars of all propulsion methods - just much rarer in EV’s because of way fewer sources of heat.

What gets objectors knickers in a twist are high voltage battery fires. An Australian organisation called EV Firesafe are all over this - they are reporting 511 verified traction battery fires globally since 2010. From an EV car pool of 40 million cars.

Good post thanks, proper data rather than made up scaremongering. why does the right wing press in the UK oppose anything that is logically a good thing, surely no one whichever way they lean politically can deny that weaning ourselves off fossil fuels is ultimately a "good thing" to do.

The UK Right Wing Press supported Boris Johnson in his bid in order to get Brexit done.

Boris supported Green issues : most of the RW Press do not.

The RW Press do no approve of belief in climate warming.

Ergo EVs are a "bad thing"

They also disapproved of: gay marriage. , abortion, seatbelts in cars and compulsory wearing of them, equal rights for women, women bishops in the Cof E etc

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Steveieb

On the subject of depreciation I know of a case where the owner of. Taycan decided that he wanted to return the car before the end of the lease because of range anxiety and the need to guarantee arriving on time at business meetings. Often having to borrow a petrol car to make the journey .

The new price was over 90 k and the return guaranteed vale was £38 k. Seeing this he has decided to hold onto the car until the end of the lease.

<< They also disapproved of: gay marriage. , abortion, seat belts in cars and compulsory wearing of them, equal rights for women, women bishops in the Cof E etc >>

We know which wing you are on then, madf :-)

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - galileo

The whole discussion about the danger of EV fires really hinges on how common they are. Given that they are more dangerous and harder to control once they occur, the risks associated with them centre on the frequency with which they occur. If they are uncommon, the risk is less.

"In Norway, which has the world’s highest proportion of electric car sales, there are between four and five times more fires in petrol and diesel cars, according to the directorate for social security and emergency preparedness. The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency this year found that there were 3.8 fires per 100,000 electric or hybrid cars in 2022, compared with 68 fires per 100,000 cars when taking all fuel types into account." (Guardian, 20 Nov 2023)

The press, particularly the right-wing tabloids, has tried to show EVs in as poor a light as possible by raising alarmist issues and the "EV fire" topic is a convenient, but misleading, part of their story.

Qualified engineer John Cadogan recently posted data on his YouTube channel regarding EV fires and the relative probability of fires compared to ICE cars.

200 cars burned out in the rooftop park at Lisbon Airport, many of these were EVs belonging to hire comppanies.

140 burned out in South Korea, 23 people were injured as a result.

Analysis of ICE car fires in Australia from 1995 to 2003, showed that the probability of fire increased with vehicle age, peaking at 10 years old.

Comparing relative probability of combustion of a population of ICEs of ages from new to 14 years with EVs, few of which are over 5 years old, is, as any statistician would say, like comparing apples with oranges.

Furthermore, the main cause of ICE fires was arson ( torched by joyriders, getaway cars used in crime, insurance fraud etc.)

There is also advice from government in Korea not to park your EV underground i fully charged, and proposals to limit chargers to only charge to 90%, possibly later to restrict them to only charge to 80%, "to reduce the risk of fire".

Obviously, also reduces range.

<< Analysis of ICE car fires in Australia from 1995 to 2003, showed that the probability of fire increased with vehicle age, peaking at 10 years old. >>

That's good news - my cars are 16 and 33 years old, so well past that peak !

I'm sorry, but that's completely wrong. I believe you are confusing risk of something happening with the overall risk profile.

The overall risk is equal to likelihood x the severity of the problems (physical [including monetarily or to property or persons] or otherwise), which means something that happens very rarely but where the consequences are far more severe can result in a higher overall risk profile.

I would note that what isn't said is whether factors such as the age or type of car is factored in. Older cars (all other factors being equal), which are likely to be less well maintained, could be reasonably said to be of higher risk of having a fire.

Additionally, ultra-high performance cars, plus (heavily) 'modded' (ICE) cars are also likely to be at far higher risk of catching fire, the first group because many appear to have had poor heat shielding of hot engine parts interacting with fuel, compounded on hot very sunny days; the later group often because of either the same or more likely sub-standard workmanship (sometimes illegal and undeclared to insurers) on the engine, exhaust and electrical system.

I'd put good money on the overwhelming majority of EVs being far, far younger than ICE cars (other than a few, most have only been around for about 5 years or so), and thus should only be compared like-for-like. That many EVs are also 'second' cars used for short trips (i.e. that do relatively low mileages under low stress) probably helps reduce the likelihood of fires.

Of course, the chances of an EV fire destroying adjacent buildings or several £Ms worth of adjacent vehicles and a car park / container ship because the fire cannot be put out,burns like thermite and presents far more short and longer term dangers to people at the scene (including emergency services personnel) also has to be factored in.

As opposed to left wing media -tabloids and supposedly 'serious (former) broadsheets' and supposedly (legally) 'unbiased' TV news outlets who present EVs as the nigh-on 100% green and ethical savour of the planet, which is patently untrue.

The media will 'big up' any story to sell more copy / gain publicity. All reports should be viewed with a sceptical / critical eye and not blindly believed. That doesn't mean some or all of such reports should be dismissed.

What IS bad nowadays is where people who bring up issues/ problems in any way get vilified in some quarters (often now 'officially', perhaps soon to be far more than that) for just doing so, including asking pertinent questions that rarely (if ever) get a proper answer / explanation.

‘ Qualified engineer John Cadogan recently posted data on his YouTube channel regarding EV fires and the relative probability of fires compared to ICE cars.’

Does anyone know what type of ‘qualified engineer’ he is? He never seems to say - he could be a central heating engineer for all we know.

200 cars in a Lisbon car park sure is a lot of cars - many would have been EV, but statistically more wouldn’t have been. The crucial fact missing, and conjecture isn’t a fact, is what started it.
‘ Qualified engineer John Cadogan recently posted data on his YouTube channel regarding EV fires and the relative probability of fires compared to ICE cars.’ Does anyone know what type of ‘qualified engineer’ he is? He never seems to say - he could be a central heating engineer for all we know. 200 cars in a Lisbon car park sure is a lot of cars - many would have been EV, but statistically more wouldn’t have been. The crucial fact missing, and conjecture isn’t a fact, is what started it.

He has a degree in mechanical engineering and sells cars for a living. He's basically an Australian Mike Brewer but seems to be regarded as some kind of oracle.

‘ Qualified engineer John Cadogan recently posted data on his YouTube channel regarding EV fires and the relative probability of fires compared to ICE cars.’ Does anyone know what type of ‘qualified engineer’ he is? He never seems to say - he could be a central heating engineer for all we know. 200 cars in a Lisbon car park sure is a lot of cars - many would have been EV, but statistically more wouldn’t have been. The crucial fact missing, and conjecture isn’t a fact, is what started it.

He has a degree in mechanical engineering and sells cars for a living. He's basically an Australian Mike Brewer but seems to be regarded as some kind of oracle.

I think he's rather more qualified on the technical side than Brewer is, especially on the theoretical front. He has a business selling cars as a broker does here, not with a 'lot' and Arfur Daley arrangement.

He still is a journo, and used to practice it in print and on TV until he got fed up of the lies in the industry and started up for himself, unfortunately near to the start of the Pandemic, where initially the Aussie lockdowns were far more stringent than ours, which meant no car test drives.

Additionally, his outspoken opinions on political figures Down Under (of all stripes), media outlets and several car manufacturers (often highlighting and getting involved in subscribers' customer service problems) has likely not endeared him to being able to do proper car reviews (as he used to) by doing actual test drive videos like HJ used to.

If you watch his videos, he knows a LOT about engineering generally and regularly does 'technical' how-tos on a wide range of subjects, though mostly cars or doing 'home workshop' work of various kinds.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - galileo

It was noted that this was where a car hire firm kept their EV cars, so more EVs than a normal proportion.

And yet other reports are saying it’s where customer cars were stored after they’d used a valet parking service.
So I’ll wait for the facts to emerge.

Two new articles in today's Telegraph (pay walled, sorry):

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/09/02/jaguar-electri.../

The first where a coroner has heavily criticised the design of the i-Pace because forward and especially reverse can be selected just by a 'press of a button' without giving a warning to the driver and where the beeping sound for reversing can be switched off.

This was after a young boy was killed when the driver put it in drive rather than reverse, didn't realise it and drove forward, trapping and killing the boy.

It is true that similar instances have occurred for drivers of automatic ICE cars, but this appears to me at least to be a situation where previous lessons were not just not learned, but made even worse in an EV.

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/09/02/manufactur.../

The other article indicated that manufacturers are deliberately holding back sales / deliveries of ICE / petrol and hybrid cars because they don't want to be fined (per car sold) by the government because EV sales are now flatlining / going down.

Many manufacturers (Stellantis and Ford referred to in the article) are saying they cannot keep doing this and selling EVs at large discounts (likely to fleet buyers, implying significant losses) indefinitely, and presumably this will only get worse as this year's target of 22% ramps up every year to 100%, and (my comment) probably 5 years quicker now that Labour are in office.

The report also indicated that the SMMT trade group estimates that the percentage of EVs of the total cars sold will drop this year from the earlier predicted 19.8% to 18.5%, and that new car sales overall had dropped 5.8% (most of that by private sales) over the 5 months to the end of July.

Not a good trend in my view. There will come a point very soon where manufacturers (as the report states) will no longer permit this state of affairs, with the head of Stellantis calling the car market no longer a [proper] one and that it was a state-controlled supply chain, (in my view) rather like the energy market where the 'price cap' has been the price floor for a long time now.

This is why artificially-created 'mandates' that have no grounding in science should be sc***ped. Fine, encourage EV ownership, but not significantly at the expense of those who cannot afford the change and it should be done over a much longer time frame, to let the infrastructure and tech become mature and affordable without subsidy.

The Earth won't reach an irrecoverable tipping point if we don't, but economies might if we go too far, too fast.

The first where a coroner has heavily criticised the design of the i-Pace because forward and especially reverse can be selected just by a 'press of a button' without giving a warning to the driver and where the beeping sound for reversing can be switched off.

This is 100% a design fault. In most modern ICE autos selecting reverse requires foot on brake + press detent, drive only requires foot on brake. There is usually no no mechanical linkage to the auto box - often just a small lever pushing against a spring to select gear.

Absolutely nothing to do with the iPace being an EV.

There will come a point very soon where manufacturers (as the report states) will no longer permit this state of affairs, with the head of Stellantis calling the car market no longer a [proper] one

In this country the government makes the rules not the motor manufacturers. The government should be alive to the consequences of their actions, but at the moment legislation seems to be working very much in favour of their intent to get rid of ICE:

• manufacturers are reducing the price of their EVs to generate sales
  • they may hold back on ICE sales due to fines
  • the price of ordinary s/h EVs is now equal to or less than equivalent ICE
  • the price of new EVs is getting ever closer to ICE as volumes increase.

www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/09/02/manufactur.../

The summary is that since manufacturers have to pay penalty if they can't meet EV target, they are restricting ICE cars supply so that it will appear as higher % of their cars sales are EVs - thus avoiding fines.

This is 100% a design fault. In most modern ICE autos selecting reverse requires foot on brake + press detent, drive only requires foot on brake. There is usually no no mechanical linkage to the auto box - often just a small lever pushing against a spring to select gear.

Absolutely nothing to do with the iPace being an EV.

I think it is - because the rushed deadlines for sales of new EVs have IMHO forced manufacturers to significantly speed up the R&D on their EV programmes. Why change the design when you could easily achieve the same operational outcome, just with a different drivetrain and electronic linkages rather than anything mechanical?

There will come a point very soon where manufacturers (as the report states) will no longer permit this state of affairs, with the head of Stellantis calling the car market no longer a [proper] one

In this country the government makes the rules not the motor manufacturers. The government should be alive to the consequences of their actions, but at the moment legislation seems to be working very much in favour of their intent to get rid of ICE:

• manufacturers are reducing the price of their EVs to generate sales
  • they may hold back on ICE sales due to fines
  • the price of ordinary s/h EVs is now equal to or less than equivalent ICE
  • the price of new EVs is getting ever closer to ICE as volumes increase.

That the laws and deadlines were all admitted to be arbitrary (as in made up with no scientific / factual basis behind them) and NOT ONE of the mainstream parties in the UK are willing to admit the really bad downsides to all this (especially for the non-wealthy) - despite the evidence staring them in the face, rather goes to show the lack of quality and principled behaviour on their part.

I would note that manufacturers have, in my view tacitly admitted that prices of EVs are heavily subsidies by both the taxpayer and cross-subsidy by inflating the prices of ICE cars. I'm not convinced that (despite this) 'ordinary' EV prices are 'equal or less' than that of ICE equivalents - at least not for new cars.

That they are (or cheaper in an increasing number of cases) for second hand cars is to me a clear indicator that punters know EVs aren't all they are claimed to be and that the tech still has some significant downsides, as we often hear in the media - despite the pro-EV bias.

If EVs are so great, then ALL subsidy types should be removed and should be allowed to compete fairly by comparing both all costs and benefits. Of course, that won't happen, because they'd currently lose in a fair fight. Why should the non-rich masses subsidise cars mainly owned by the well-off?

If this was genuinely about 'saving the planet', then no high performance or overly large/heavy cars - including most EVs sold over the last 5-8 years would be allowed.

None of the proponents for EVs want to seriously discuss (mostly brush under the rug) the serious logistical and ethical problems associated with mining for, recycling or disposing of the rare Earth materials EVs use, or of the consequences of EV battery fires as more cars of that type are on the road, in enclosed and especially underground residential car parks, on ferries, etc.

I am NOT saying the change to EVs shouldn't happen, but that the case for them is wildly overstated and that it should occur organically - without significant government legislative intervention - and over a much longer timeframe.

History is littered with government-legislated changes that gave gone pear-shaped (and that costs a fortune to put right and has huge negative effects lasting decades) because they were rushed, often due to unwanted influence by lobbyists, who in most cases have a VERY significant political (and unethical) and financial stakes in things going their way.

The government should thin seriously about backing off here. But they won't, because despite how bad the lot they replaced were in that regard, they are in my view much worse.

I can’t help thinking that if the government reinstate the 2030 deadline, as stated in their manifesto, then it should also abolish the ZE Mandate prescribed ‘ladder’ towards 2030 and let EV growth happen organically. It’s 22% of sales this year, 28% next, up to 80% in 2030. That 80% is going to happen anyway, but the way it’s achieved will differ by manufacturer.
The industry is already coming under huge pressure from new brands - we’ve seen BYD already, Omoda is coming, and lots more to follow.
The ‘legacy’ OEM’s could live without penalties of 10’s of millions of pounds, money that could be better spent getting more affordable EV’s to market.

The key to better EV sales is price. EVs will sell but not at some of the prices currently asked.

Whether manufactures can hit the prices necessary and still make a profit is the question.

‘Value’ is always a more difficult metric to promote, but any number of online total cost of ownership calculators will show that even with a higher list price, an EV charged at home (and even more so with a cheap overnight tariff) will result in savings over an x year period.
That said, we’re seeing Dacia Spring along soon with a starting price of £14,995 and I’m picking up a Citroën E-C3 later this month, this one starting at £21,990. Will report back on the Citroën once I have it.
In other news, yesterday saw the publication of a YouGov survey into ICE driver’s knowledge of EV’s.
The results were dispiriting, to say the least. If anyone’s interested, it’s the link below -

transportandenergy.com/2024/09/02/most-petrol-car-.../

I think one of the issues is people really don't understand how electricity is priced and sold which is why they have to quote the stupid "price cap" figure every time prices change.

Not enough consumers seem to be a able to work out a unit price and how it relates to consumption which means they can't seem to deal with working out the running costs of a car which works in kW per mile (unless a Tesla).

Not sure which units Tesla uses, but Polestar use kW/h per 100 miles, same as Tesla?
Omoda’s website quotes kW/h per 100km.

Just give us a universal miles per kW/h and be done with it….
Just give us a universal miles per kW/h and be done with it….

Europeans have been metric almost since Napoleon marched all over many of them, so litres are their standard unit, while we stubbornly persist in thinking in gallons, even tho no-one has bought a gallon of fuel for decades - meaning a pointless 4.546 factor all the time.

Not only that, Europeans think in terms of less fuel for a standard distance (100km) while we think of getting further for a standard quantity. Minds will have to be changed somewhere.

Autotrader currently has new petrol C3 for £17900 discounted from a list of £21100.

If the E-C3 is £21990, the premium is between £900-4000. It remains to be seen by how much and how soon the EV version is discounted. Don't know if the spec of each is similar - although I suspect the EV is likely to be higher spec as more recently launched.

A £1k premium would be comfortably repaid by fuel savings within 2 years. A £4k premium may put off new car buyers as they are unlikely to recover the additional purchase price within their ownership period.

It is pure speculation what the trade in difference may be after (say) three years.

I don’t usually speculate, but I think I’m right in saying that when the C3 catches up with E-C3 in body shape, they’ll be the same price.
‘Value’ is always a more difficult metric to promote, but any number of online total cost of ownership calculators will show that even with a higher list price, an EV charged at home (and even more so with a cheap overnight tariff) will result in savings over an x year period. That said, we’re seeing Dacia Spring along soon with a starting price of £14,995 and I’m picking up a Citroën E-C3 later this month, this one starting at £21,990. Will report back on the Citroën once I have it. In other news, yesterday saw the publication of a YouGov survey into ICE driver’s knowledge of EV’s. The results were dispiriting, to say the least. If anyone’s interested, it’s the link below - transportandenergy.com/2024/09/02/most-petrol-car-.../

To be honest, that piece looked like propaganda to me, given the site it's published on looks like to me a pro-EV one, especially as the 'data' for the experts to 'quote' as at best very subjective, and funny how we don't see how they come by it and the methodology used.

Notice also how the 'running costs' of EVs seems to only include 'fuel' and not insurance, plus there must be a good reason why second hand values of EVs are dropping at the same time as insurance costs are significantly going up.

I personally don't think we're being told the truth - fully or in part - here.

I would also note that a LOT of people (me included) live either in a flat, a terraced house or a house with a communal /allocated parking area, meaning no home charging physically, legally or financially possible, not just for the moment, but ever, unless enormous amount of taxpayer money is invested for a long time to provide such facilities.

As has been said many times, most often, an EV can be suitable for the better off (who are far more likely to live in a house with a driveway / garage and the space / electrical system capacity and means to install a fast+ charger), particularly as a second car doing low annual mileages for local work.

For the less well off commuter, not really unless you are lucky enough to have excellent charging coverage locally, which isn't the case for most people.

Equivalent public charging that is as quick, convenient, reliable and safe (security) as ICE filling stations is a LONG way from being in place. I only know of one such facility within 30 miles of my home, and that's in a 'motorway' service stop - certainly not viable for most ordinary people with no way of getting home charging.

All the other '(ICE) filling stations in the area have either no EV ultra-fast charging points or a handful have perhaps one or two in a (formerly) spare area. Other public charging at (some larger) supermarkets and public car parks are average at best, often poor, because they are either not monitored properly for reliability / security and often are of the lower charging rate / higher price type.

As has been said many times, most often, an EV can be suitable for the better off

Quite so.

EV is good for 80% of people for 80% of their journeys. However, those people need cars which can do 100% of all their journeys. Those 80% people can't afford a 2nd car for remaining 20% of their journeys.

Government should encourage EVs which are cheap small city cars where range is not an issue, thus encourage multi car families EV being their proffered 2nd/3rd car. For single car families an EV needs to tick all boxes.

Anecdotal to be sure but I too have two cars. Both EV and the longest legs one 201m wltp . Haven't needed anything else in three years of ownership. Last bought petrol in Sept 2021. It's easily done as long as you can home charge.

The only barrier for most will be to ignore the media FUD, do your own research and take a chance. You'll not regret it.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 03/09/2024 at 17:52

We need to separate environmental, logistical and financial concerns. Too many comments select the concern which best suits a preconceived answer:

• those with the ability to charge off road currently benefit most. They will typically be better off and able to afford larger properties. They may be able to make use of cheap overnight or variable rates.
  • the financial benefit is likely temporary - as EV ownership increases, financial benefits will decrease - fewer cheap rates, road charges to replace fuel duties
  • those without off road facilities will be reliant on public charging. Rates vary 40-80p per unit depending on location and provider. 40p kwh is higher than a domestic supply but typically less per mile than petrol.
  • the environmental benefit of EV using green tech for generation are overwhelming irrespective of personal capacity for recharging
  • those covering normal mileages will need to charge 1 or 2 times a week. For those without off road charging this would be an inconvenience which may be offset by another activity - shopping, gym, cinema etc.
  • frequent high mileage users will have journeys interrupted by high cost recharging.. Those a few times a year do a long journey EV merely need some sensible planning.
  • green generation + EV largely insulates the UK from the risks of international conflict, price fluctuations associated with oil and gas.

One could continue to buy ICE for another 10 years and be driving one for the next 25 years. Personal view - the strategy makes complete sense in environmental and supply risk terms. If you don't like it - tough!!!

This is what the Chief executive of the BVR LA has to say about the used car market for EVs

From todays Telegraph:-

y, the chief executive of the BVRLA, to warn in July: “The used car market for EVs is, I hesitate to say, very close to what any economist would call market failure

Remember the FUD bring quoted as to incredibly high insurance costs for EVs?

Just got my renewal through from LV. 40 quid cheaper than last year. Last year switching TO LV saved me shed loads. For me, so I realise it's just anecdotal the cost is pretty much identical to what I used to pay for my Qashqai and my Vitara.

Super happy with that.

This is what the Chief executive of the BVR LA has to say about the used car market for EVs

From todays Telegraph:-

y, the chief executive of the BVRLA, to warn in July: “The used car market for EVs is, I hesitate to say, very close to what any economist would call market failure

It's taken a while to settle down but EVs are certainly selling and trade prices now stable. Prices have actually gone up a bit this month.

• "green generation + EV largely insulates the UK from the risks of international conflict, price fluctuations associated with oil and gas."

Just wait for a windless couple of weeks - usually end November/early December.. Usually calm associated with fog/low cloud. Happens nearly every year. EVERY available power station powered by burning something runs flat out.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to store the energy required except at huge cost and as no new nuclear power stations have been ordered yet - and remember planning takes a decade - then:

we are going either to have widescale blackouts or keep gas power going for decades.

This is not FUD but factual.

Anyone who is unaware of this is unaware of a KEY flaw - which anyone who has looked at the issue is keeping quiet on.

A couple of weeks during which the emphasis on UK power production shifts towards fossil fuels before going back again is not going to affect the overall picture, where we are able to rely increasingly on wind and solar output.

Why do I get the impression that there are a few posters here who keep trying to find reasons - any reasons - not to embrace a less polluted world?

Every new thread on EVs seems to bring them out.

Edited by FP on 04/09/2024 at 13:11

A couple of weeks during which the emphasis on UK power production shifts towards fossil fuels before going back again is not going to affect the overall picture, where we are able to rely increasingly on wind and solar output.

Why do I get the impression that there are a few posters here who keep trying to find reasons - any reasons - not to embrace a less polluted world?

Every new thread on EVs seems to bring them out.

I only post reality. If you don't like it, explain where what I post is incorrect. After all, all I write is true.. No new nukes on order, long planning times, calm weather, cost of storage etc..

You cannot generate green power when the sun is not shining nor the wind blowing.

I did not mention the wind farms producing, not connected properly to the Grid so being paid for power which is not used. We can afford to lose the odd £billion of course.!

Nor the National Grid claiming it was prepared for EVs in 2020 now suddenly needing to spend the odd £50B or so to meet demand....

I only post reality. If you don't like it, explain where what I post is incorrect. After all, all I write is true.. No new nukes on order, long planning times, calm weather, cost of storage etc..

You cannot generate green power when the sun is not shining nor the wind blowing.

I did not mention the wind farms producing, not connected properly to the Grid so being paid for power which is not used. We can afford to lose the odd £billion of course.!

Nor the National Grid claiming it was prepared for EVs in 2020 now suddenly needing to spend the odd £50B or so to meet demand....

I think there are different realities for different folk.

If you take the technology and capacity that exists today and overlay that with projected increases in demand for EVs then there are clearly problems ahead.

I tend to take the view that supply and technology will flex with demand as time passes:

• the nuclear plan runs out to 2050 - the won't all be built next week
  • the National Grid investment plan covers several years - I don't expect it to be complete by 2025, nor does it need to be
  • storage of surplus green energy is an issue now - but the average EV has the capacity to store ~50kwh representing ~5-7 days average household consumption
  • there are 33m vehicles registered on UK roads of which ~1m are EV today. The other 32m will take another 25 years to appear - not an immediate problem!

The completely foolish is to assert that we would be better off carrying on as we are when we know with a high level of confidence that:

• oil and gas supply is dependant on world stability and markets
  • oil and gas as commodities will get increasingly scarce as reserves are consumed

I think there are different realities for different folk.

If you take the technology and capacity that exists today and overlay that with projected increases in demand for EVs then there are clearly problems ahead.

I tend to take the view that supply and technology will flex with demand as time passes:

• the nuclear plan runs out to 2050 - the won't all be built next week

But with PV and wind ramping up as old nuclear power and existing gas stations being closed, new nuclear is replacing them at too low a rate / capacity, meaning there will be a significant amount of a gap in the backup when the sun isn't shining and wind isn't blowing.

• the National Grid investment plan covers several years - I don't expect it to be complete by 2025, nor does it need to be

Unfortunately, the current government has moved up the decarbonising of the grid significantly without having sufficient backup. How is that circle squared?

• storage of surplus green energy is an issue now - but the average EV has the capacity to store ~50kwh representing ~5-7 days average household consumption

Only if home electricity usage for a typical 3-bed house is used for everything other than heating. No use if it is, even for heat pumps, which are:

a) not as efficient as their proponents say, and particularly in winter months (much lower COP, near 1 [as resistive heating] in very cold conditions);

b) no use unless the owner doesn't have need for the car otherwise and can guarantee it can be recharged later when the battery is depleted, and;

c) will only work on an individual basis if the owner's vehicle is relatively new / high spec and on a community basis (exporting back to the grid to help power people's homes who don't have an EV) if there's not enough of them and/or the owner has bothered / is willing to connect it to provide that service.

Of course, if they do, that (likely well-off) person will benefit significantly at the expense of the less well off.

• there are 33m vehicles registered on UK roads of which ~1m are EV today. The other 32m will take another 25 years to appear - not an immediate problem!

Ramping up ownership too quickly will likely have a significant detrimental impact on electricity supplies, prices of batteries and, as already described across many posts, lots of other significant negative effects when a market is artificiality changed by central diktat.

The completely foolish is to assert that we would be better off carrying on as we are when we know with a high level of confidence that:

• oil and gas supply is dependant on world stability and markets
  • oil and gas as commodities will get increasingly scarce as reserves are consumed

I is, at best, disingenuous to say that those of us advocating a much more slower, organic pace for the transition are advocating for fossil fuels to continue to be used as a sole provision of power / fuel.

We are saying that the plans that governments are going for are at best ill thought out, and at worst both driven by warped ideology of control and the further transfer of resources / wealth to firms, people and organisations who already have way too much, and who use that to lobby (or worse) or control politicians, the media, 'experts', etc to make it happen, possibly irrevocably.

"I only post reality. If you don't like it, explain where what I post is incorrect."

My point is that short periods of time when the UK has to use gas to generate electricity does not mean that there is in some way a failure to achieve net-zero. If the vast majority of our electricity comes from non-fossil sources we can cope with calm weather.

Solar as a source of power will also be affected by weather, but is able to provide some output even in cloud.

I note your tetchiness when challenged, by the way.

"I only post reality. If you don't like it, explain where what I post is incorrect."

My point is that short periods of time when the UK has to use gas to generate electricity does not mean that there is in some way a failure to achieve net-zero. If the vast majority of our electricity comes from non-fossil sources we can cope with calm weather.

Solar as a source of power will also be affected by weather, but is able to provide some output even in cloud.

I note your tetchiness when challenged, by the way.

That still doesn't make the substance of what they posted incorrect. When the sun doesn't shine or wind doesn't blow - no green energy, and thus it needs 100% backup from either fossil fuels, which mainstream politicians, and particularly the latest lot in office, want to ditch as quickly a possible, or from nuclear, which the same not-so-wise lot have (and still are) delaying again and again and giving contracts to firms backed by foreign governments, including the CCP.

Despite all the hype, battery tech nor hydrogen will be a viable 'storage medium' for the scale of energy needed to 'decarbonise'. The 2030 or 2035 deadlines are not just pipe dreams, but a recipe for disaster - widespread and long-lasting power cuts, a lack of food supply, a huge drop in industrial and economic output, etc, etc.

And contrary to some posters' comments, such WILL leave us beholden to foreign providers of energy - especially hostile ones, precisely because our no-to-wise politicians are now deliberately running down our oil and gas fields and forcing through electric at vastly higher cost onto the country, with nothing to backup that supply that we control or probably will be available in time.

What they may not realise is that so much of life needs energy / power than just your home heating and electricity systems, including a great many that are essentials they couldn't live without if supplies were disrupted for more than a few days nationwide.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - JonestHon

Anecdotal to be sure but I too have two cars. Both EV and the longest legs are 201m wltp. I haven't needed anything else in three years of ownership. Last bought petrol in Sept 2021. It's quickly done as long as you can home-charge.

The only barrier for most will be to ignore the media FUD, do your research and take a chance. You'll not regret it.

It's a bit simplistic to hang this on the 'media'.

In our very average town (not far from Bristol), we have six garages, and none is catering for EVs at the moment; driving 20 miles to the nearest EV-compatible garage is a significant deterrent for many here, and it doesn't matter that EV's potentially needs less maintenance.

From observing our roads here for decades , it seems on it's face that the cars on these roads are getting older and older. There are some ev'a mostly white model 3 around but little else electric. Mist new cars visible are ICE SUV's.

Also, a lot of older drivers are afraid of new tech and change so you hardly ever see a flat cap behind the wheel of an EV.

Anecdotal to be sure but I too have two cars. Both EV and the longest legs are 201m wltp. I haven't needed anything else in three years of ownership. Last bought petrol in Sept 2021. It's quickly done as long as you can home-charge.

The only barrier for most will be to ignore the media FUD, do your research and take a chance. You'll not regret it.

It's a bit simplistic to hang this on the 'media'.

In our very average town (not far from Bristol), we have six garages, and none is catering for EVs at the moment; driving 20 miles to the nearest EV-compatible garage is a significant deterrent for many here, and it doesn't matter that EV's potentially needs less maintenance.

From observing our roads here for decades , it seems on it's face that the cars on these roads are getting older and older. There are some ev'a mostly white model 3 around but little else electric. Mist new cars visible are ICE SUV's.

Also, a lot of older drivers are afraid of new tech and change so you hardly ever see a flat cap behind the wheel of an EV.

Not sure where you are, but Pearce Bros in Avonmouth look after EVs.

As for older people, my 79 year old dad drives around in a Kia Niro EV (and an Alpine A110). The majority of EV owners I know are retired and love the convenience of having a fully 'fuelled' car every morning that meets all of their needs for local journeys.

Ball joints, track rod ends, bottom arms, springs, dampers, top mounts, anti-roll bar bushes, discs, pads, brake fluid, cabin filter, any number of bits and pieces that a garage handles daily are exactly the same in EV as piston engine.
Battery and drive train are typically 7/8 year warranty, so covered by the main dealer.
Short of getting involved with the high voltage stuff, there’s loads that a non-EV specialist garage can do. If they chose to and not see EV as a threat to their income. Equally, I’d be having at least one tech who is EV trained and planning for the future.
Ball joints, track rod ends, bottom arms, springs, dampers, top mounts, anti-roll bar bushes, discs, pads, brake fluid, cabin filter, any number of bits and pieces that a garage handles daily are exactly the same in EV as piston engine. Battery and drive train are typically 7/8 year warranty, so covered by the main dealer. Short of getting involved with the high voltage stuff, there’s loads that a non-EV specialist garage can do. If they chose to and not see EV as a threat to their income. Equally, I’d be having at least one tech who is EV trained and planning for the future.

When I took my old Corsa-e for its 2 year service, they replaced the cabin filter and printed off a list of fault codes (all of which they cleared).

Tesla premiums have skewed the whole market, with most of their groupings being in the 40’s (and 50).
Yes, like for like, an EV is typically more expensive to insure, but not catastrophically so. As more technicians are trained and bodyshops able to take on EV repairs, and parts availability improves, the trend towards parity with ICE will continue.

Nope my Vauxhall EV costs about the same to insure as my previous ICE cars did. Maybe because it's not a Tesla? As we know Other Brands are available. Not every EV must be a Tesla.

The entry level base Tesla does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds.

Would an ICE car with similar performance really be much cheaper to insure?

Edited by pd on 04/09/2024 at 17:37

Still waiting for the SMMT figures for August, but a different source is showing a 23% market share for EV for last month.
A bit of an increase from the 18.5% YTD.
I’m holding onto a touch of scepticism until SMMT publish.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - De Sisti

Volvo gives up plan to sell only EVs by 2030.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3ejye39434o

I wonder if this is going to be a trend amongst car manufacturers?

Edited by De Sisti on 05/09/2024 at 07:49

MG solid state battery - London calling

MG EV with solid state batteries due next year

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mg-launch-first-electric-car-solid-state-battery-2025

MG solid state battery - madf

MG EV with solid state batteries due next year

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mg-launch-first-electric-car-solid-state-battery-2025

That will be a game changer...

‘ Volvo gives up plan to sell only EVs by 2030.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3ejye39434o

I wonder if this is going to be a trend amongst car manufacturers?’

The tariffs applied to Chinese built cars by the EU (and also Canada, plus whatever will happen in the US, post-election) won’t have helped Volvo, who have a major production facility in China. Plus their sister companies, Polestar and Lotus, who export EV’s from China to EU.
‘ Volvo gives up plan to sell only EVs by 2030. www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3ejye39434o I wonder if this is going to be a trend amongst car manufacturers?’ The tariffs applied to Chinese built cars by the EU (and also Canada, plus whatever will happen in the US, post-election) won’t have helped Volvo, who have a major production facility in China. Plus their sister companies, Polestar and Lotus, who export EV’s from China to EU.

The Telegraph was reporting VW's woes, including likely needing to close one European plant (maybe even one of their German ones) and via VAG, the disastrous choice of both making Cupra, the former Seat performance sub-model into an EV only brand and all seemingly made in Chian, now that the EU is going ahead with the big tariffs on Chinese-made cars.

The problem is all these industry woes is what you get when governments create artificial markets rather like communist countries. Eventually they unravel.

‘ Volvo gives up plan to sell only EVs by 2030. www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3ejye39434o I wonder if this is going to be a trend amongst car manufacturers?’ The tariffs applied to Chinese built cars by the EU (and also Canada, plus whatever will happen in the US, post-election) won’t have helped Volvo, who have a major production facility in China. Plus their sister companies, Polestar and Lotus, who export EV’s from China to EU.

The Telegraph was reporting VW's woes, including likely needing to close one European plant (maybe even one of their German ones) and via VAG, the disastrous choice of both making Cupra, the former Seat performance sub-model into an EV only brand and all seemingly made in Chian, now that the EU is going ahead with the big tariffs on Chinese-made cars.

The problem is all these industry woes is what you get when governments create artificial markets rather like communist countries. Eventually they unravel.

Interestingly, a different source (I'm afraid I can't remember which) was reporting the same story but saying it was because VW had lagged behind everyone else on EVs and was losing market share. No idea which is right, but probably a good demonstration of the exact same facts being turned into contradictory stories.

Personally, I assumed it's just that VW's constant reduction in quality and contempt for customers was catching up with them.

‘ Still waiting for the SMMT figures for August, but a different source is showing a 23% market share for EV for last month.
A bit of an increase from the 18.5% YTD.
I’m holding onto a touch of scepticism until SMMT publish’.

They weren’t far out - 22.6% of new registrations in August were BEV’s.

In addition, the new charger stats are in - 68,273 public chargers, with 1,494 added last month.
Plus approx 700,000 home and work chargers.

Edited by mcb100 on 05/09/2024 at 12:47

‘ Still waiting for the SMMT figures for August, but a different source is showing a 23% market share for EV for last month. A bit of an increase from the 18.5% YTD. I’m holding onto a touch of scepticism until SMMT publish’. They weren’t far out - 22.6% of new registrations in August were BEV’s. In addition, the new charger stats are in - 68,273 public chargers, with 1,494 added last month. Plus approx 700,000 home and work chargers.

The MSM reported a 'surge' in EV sales / registrations then, but as we often see, that's more often than not due to a backlog of cars imported, especially Tesla, that seem to be imported in big batches, then nothing for another 2-4 months.

Car sales are never linear throughout the year.

Year to date figures will even out the peaks and troughs when you compare 2024 to this point in 2023.

Diesel down from 7.8% (2023) to 6.5% (2024)
Petrol (including Mild Hybrid) down from 56.7 to 54.4%
BEV up from 16.6% to 17.2%
PHEV up from 6.8% to 8.1%
HEV up from 12.3% to 13.8%

The PHEV uplift helps OEM’s towards their 22% EV target as they count towards the Zero Emissions Mandate target. I think it’s 2 PHEV’s count as 1 BEV, going next year to a 3:1 ratio.

Edited by mcb100 on 05/09/2024 at 14:15

Just to keep you up to date.

As of 31/8/24 there are 68,273 public EV chargers in the UK, which is an increase of 1,494 from last month. An increase on 49% year on year. An observation, I believe that's actually more than currently exist in the whole USA. So yay for us!

Apparently the target is to be circa 300,000 by 2030.

There are also estimated to be something in the order of 700,000 private ones as of end Aug 24.

So those people who are 'waiting for Hydrogen to arrive' will have a bit of a wait for the Hydrogen infrastructure to catch up.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 05/09/2024 at 19:01

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - alan1302

Just to keep you up to date.

As of 31/8/24 there are 68,273 public EV chargers in the UK, which is an increase of 1,494 from last month. An increase on 49% year on year. An observation, I believe that's actually more than currently exist in the whole USA. So yay for us!

192,000 in the USA:

Link

Aww OK.

We're still adding more per month though. 1494 vs 1000.

One public charger every 3.84 miles in the UK, one every 21.87 miles in the US.

One public charger every 17.57 EV’s in the UK, one every 12.73 EV’s in the US.

The US are adding about 1000 each week.

But we’re still apparently on target for 300,000 by 2030.

Problem is that many, including a good number only installed 5 years ago, are essentially obsolete (low charge output) and/or faulty. The public charging point in my town is barely ever used, and only then by the council's own EV, which just sits there most of the time, meaning other EVs cannot use it.

I don't see any evidence of new ones being installed elsewhere in my area.

Public charging has actually improved markedly in Scotland with the end of free ChargePlace Scotland charging, you now pay between 34p-45p pkwh for slow chargers and around 65-75p on fast chargers. Availability has rocketed as they’re no longer queuing up for free lekky. I’m much more confident in being able to use our Leaf over distance. Privately owned fast chargers are still far far too expensive however, but for infrequent use they’re almost always available thanks to the high cost.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/09/2024 at 11:41

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Walter Tree

I thought that no hybrids counted towards the Zero Emissions Mandate in the UK following consultations between the car industry and a previous government. This differs from the EU where the rules are more relaxed. However, I am no expert so would be pleased to learn if anybody knows what actual position is.

Here is full analysis paper by the government - if anyone is interested.

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/6554be55544...f

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Walter Tree

Thank you. Very interesting paper which shows just how many issues were taken into account, the many unknowns, how the resulting judgements were made and why the current rules were adopted. Seems a bit odd though that the EU model for arriving at the same result appears not to have even been considered as an alternative and compared to the UK approach. It will be interesting to see in years to come which was the better choice and if either will need substantial amendment, especially to reflect market forces.

Report in todays Times about Toyotas planned reduction in EV manufacturing.

Toyota is set to slash its targets for electric car production by a third, according to reports in Tokyo.

Contrary to what I typed a few posts ago, figures from the insurance comparison website with the opera singer, the one that asks you to go and compare things, are showing that EV’s are cheaper (or maybe less expensive) to insure than ICE’s.

In July 2024 the average quote for fully comprehensive insurance for an EV was £832, whilst it was £877 for a petrol car.

Four years’ worth of quotes show that premiums have risen 50.7% for an EV, whilst petrol premiums have gone up by 67%.

ICE became the more expensive to insure in October 2023.
So far we haven’t found our Leaf to be any dearer to insure than the petrol and diesel cars we ran before.
Four years’ worth of quotes show that premiums have risen 50.7% for an EV, whilst petrol premiums have gone up by 67%. ICE became the more expensive to insure in October 2023.

Of course, insurance premiums may rise because claim stats indicate a trend, or because a company doesn't want that particular piece of business ?

Over this weekend just pootling about in my 3yo Mokka-e (50kwh one) I got 5.1m per kwh. That's the equivalent of 204miles per gallon. Over a round trip of about 30 miles. 9p per kw motoring. That's what 3.6p per mile? Happy with that.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 08/09/2024 at 20:35

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - martin.mc

Most people would be happy with the equivalent of 200mpg. However if you can't charge at home and have to use public fast chargers costing, say, 79p per KwH, the cost per mile rockets to 26p.. Double the fuel cost of a petrol car returning 50mpg. Not being negative, would love an EV myself. Is there any way round this?

Other than moving? Probably not. But as I've said before if you cannot charge at home do NOT buy an EV.

Other than moving? Probably not. But as I've said before if you cannot charge at home do NOT buy an EV.

That is ruughly half the population...

‘ Not being negative, would love an EV myself. Is there any way round this?

The Tesla Supercharger network is the cheapest around, and more of it is being made accessible to non-Teslas. Prices there from c45p per kW/h, though the prices flex on demand (much like Oasis tickets).
There are solutions in place for on-street charging, but currently being hamstrung by (ironically) the Office for Zero Emissions Vehicles, who have guidelines for getting cables across pavements but haven’t yet published them. So local authorities are reluctant to authorise solutions until Whitehall tells them how.

Folk don't buy an EV (or any other car for that matter) just for today. For most it is a major investment, second only to house purchase, which probably has to last 3 to 5+ years.

So there are two questions related to an EV purchase:

• will it work for me today
  • even if a nervous about "now", am I convinced all will be ok in 2-5 years time

It find myself in the second bullet. I want to change current car. My usage is local (no problem as can home charge) 10-15 trips a year in UK where charging will be required (somewhat nervous), and cross Europe 1 or 2 times a year (very concerned).

I am not prepared to wait another 2 years as public charging is improved in both the UK and Europe when an EV may be the obvious choice. So probably looking for petrol which I may keep for 3-6 years, at which time I hope EV is a no brainer.

Folk don't buy an EV (or any other car for that matter) just for today. For most it is a major investment, second only to house purchase, which probably has to last 3 to 5+ years.

So there are two questions related to an EV purchase:

• will it work for me today
  • even if a nervous about "now", am I convinced all will be ok in 2-5 years time

It find myself in the second bullet. I want to change current car. My usage is local (no problem as can home charge) 10-15 trips a year in UK where charging will be required (somewhat nervous), and cross Europe 1 or 2 times a year (very concerned).

I am not prepared to wait another 2 years as public charging is improved in both the UK and Europe when an EV may be the obvious choice. So probably looking for petrol which I may keep for 3-6 years, at which time I hope EV is a no brainer.

Forgive me saying, but isn't that 'choice' rather hypocritical, given all your posts on this thread thus far? Very few people have been a stronger advocate for going over to EVs, and yet, when you need to choose a new car yourself, you stick with ICE.

To me, that choice fatally undermines the credibility of your side's arguments for mass adoption of the tech over the next decade and more.

Do as I say, not as I do?

‘ It find myself in the second bullet. I want to change current car. My usage is local (no problem as can home charge) 10-15 trips a year in UK where charging will be required (somewhat nervous), and cross Europe 1 or 2 times a year (very concerned).’

Absolutely no need for trepidation about away from home charging in the UK. Always assuming, of course, that you’re not in something with a very short range. There wouldn’t be an issue finding chargers, but you’d be stopping more often than maybe you’re used to.
I’ve not EV’d in Europe, but I believe the French charger network, for example, is more comprehensive than ours.
With a charger consolidation app or two (Octopus Electroverse/PlugShare/Ionity/etc) and Tesla installed it’ll be a morceau de gateau. Most EV’s will do their own journey planning, plotting charge stops based on anticipated range.

With reference to the news of mass scale pager explosion....

how likely that a powerful organization can use same tech to remotely explode EV batteries?

how likely that a powerful organization can use same tech to remotely explode EV batteries?

Unless they are planting explosive devices in your car not very likely.

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - focussed

Unless they are planting explosive devices in your car not very likely.

The back story,

Hezbollah became aware that Israeli intelligence were tracking their activists/terrorists/freedom fighters (delete according to taste) using mobile phone data.

So they banned their activists/terrorists/freedom fighters from using mobile phones and transferred their comms to using pagers, which is a receive-only device that can't be tracked.

They then received a new batch of pagers from another supplier.

Somewhere along the supply line it is alleged that Israeli intelligence got into the act and rigged thousands of the pagers so that about half the battery was an explosive charge, capable of being detonated by a coded signal to all the pagers simultaneously.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYmuK_pLIbQ&ab_channel...s

www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/how-did-thousands-of-...9

Jumping the gun a bit or would you like to explain how you are privy to such information?

My money is on 0%.

My money is on 0%.

More likely that 'powerful organisations' will/have already put (or secretly mandated companies who make them) software backdoors into equipment with CPUs, especially 'smart' connected devices, in order to make them stop working, whether targeted or en-masse as the situation requires.

I somehow doubt if your average battery pack in an EV, laptop or mobile phone sold to individuals, essentially where what specific one they get is not controlled would not be a feasible way of targeting terror groups.

Intercepting big orders made by known front organisations for terror groups, especially old tech like pagers (who still uses them - seemingly only terrorists) is probably a lot easier, given they probably don't just order them direct with an address in southern Lebanon, and likely require several third party couriers who can be 'nobbled' one way or the other.

I do recall there being several newspaper articles some years ago about the downsides of 'smart' tech cars (especially EVs) where not just Plod could 'take control' to stop a criminal from 'getting away'. For this reason, I would be highly resistant in ever buying a car (especially an EV) where the electronic control systems were designed / made in China.

Even 'Western' designed / made ones may get (or may already have) software to, in the future (2030?) 'restrict' usage for us Plebs who have 'gone over' our 'annual allocation' of miles / CO2 and haven't paid a 'fee' (affordable by well-off and politcos only) to get 'more credits'.

For the same reason I will not be partaking in the 'smart' (yeah, right) meter installation fad. Luckily I also have a great (and legit) excuse that my flat block's installation would have to be completely redone at great expense to all bar one resident as we share a common feed via the original 20yo) electric meters, and apparently for the gas smart meters to work, they must have the base station on the electric meter.

I suppose if those batteries have some interaction with the web or mobile phone channels it might happen ? That sounds unlikely to me, tho the batteries might disperse Covid infections I suppose :-)

Explosives in vehicles seems unlikely - it would require access to the vehicles for installation.

Software which could entirely disable the vehicle is far more plausible. Similar comms capabilities exist for downloading additional functionality (or possibly road charging to replace VED) - and I assume disabling the vehicle in the event that bills are not paid.

Even if such remote functionality is not currently required, remote software updates to vehicle systems are becoming commonplace. If not installed by the manufacturer, it is clear malicious third parties will seek to plant viruses

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - edlithgow

I suppose if those batteries have some interaction with the web or mobile phone channels it might happen ? That sounds unlikely to me, tho the batteries might disperse Covid infections I suppose :-)

Theres a fairly recent distopian breakdown film with Julia Roberts in it that (among other techno-terror) has all the Tesla zooming off to communal gang bang pile ups, paralysing the road network

Thats autonomous vehicle rather than power-source parenoia though and IIRC they didn't explode, so not really very anti-electric.

Was pretty pro-prepper though, and I'd guess preppers are not among the Tesla target customer base.There might be charging issues.

www.netflix.com/tudum/articles/leave-the-world-beh...s

Edited by edlithgow on 20/09/2024 at 16:29

‘ Similar comms capabilities exist for downloading additional functionality (or possibly road charging to replace VED) - and I assume disabling the vehicle in the event that bills are not paid.’

Already been done - if anyone still has a rented battery in their Renault Zoe, then Mobilize (Renault’s financial division) will disable the ability for it to be charged if an owner doesn’t keep up to date with payments.
I get all sorts of data arriving in my inbox, seemingly on a daily basis about EV’s, and the latest I’ve seen is about EV’s being written off post-accident.

Figures from Cap HPI are showing that only 0.9% of all EV’s under five years old have been written off versus 1.89% of petrol and diesel in the same age group.

At the one-year mark, the gap remains consistent, with 0.2% of EVs being written off compared to 0.4% of internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles.

The anti-EV misinformation will doubtless insist on telling us that the slightest damage will write off an EV because of damage to the battery.

Good to have objective data.

AIUI most EV batteries are located under the floor between the axles and in-board of the sills.

To sustain any real physical damage, the impact - front, rear or side - would need to be that severe the car would anyway likely be damaged beyond economic repair.

The only two types of damage which may render an EV a write off vs a conventional car is severe flooding where any seals/gaskets etc could fail.

‘ AIUI most EV batteries are located under the floor between the axles and in-board of the sills.’

Yes, regularly referred to as a ‘skateboard’ design. Lift the body off the battery and you’re left with a large, 11-15cm deep battery with a wheel at each corner.

August figures from the European Association of motor manufacturers report a 70 % drop in EV sales in Germany and 33% down in France, according to the Telegraph

My target EV - BMW i3 - is slowly coming to my price target..A 50k miles 2019 or 20 model under £9k. Only another 6=12 months to wait..

I’ve only driven one briefly, and I found the pedals quite ‘switchy’ - a bit on/off in action. That may just have been the one I drove.
When you come to test drive it may take a few minutes to get a feel for more progressive inputs to smooth progress.
The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Marlin1

My target EV - BMW i3 - is slowly coming to my price target..A 50k miles 2019 or 20 model under £9k. Only another 6=12 months to wait..

I'm kicking myself. In 2016 there was a batch of i3's released for about £18k or £20k with the petrol generator - all with under 500 miles.

I procrastinated for far too long! :-D

The Electric Vehicle (EV) thread Vol 11 - Xileno

This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 12 *****

Edited by Xileno on 21/09/2024 at 08:22