Section 88 and Car Insurance. - Bhadvo

Hi All,

I would really appreciate some help regarding my issue concerning Section 88 and Car Insurance.

Basically licence expired in April. Now and driving under Section 88 (received letter from DLVA). Currently still insured from the pre-existing policy. My policy is now due next month. Can I apply for car insurance as normal and declare I have a licence as I'm driving under section 88 or do I have have to declare this to insurers on the comparison websites or my current insurer. I am of the mind to just let the policy renew.

Please I'm in dire striates and need my car for my job. Any help on this issue will be appreciated. The DVLA have been longing it out it's doing my head in.

Thanks

Section 88 and Car Insurance. - leaseman

This is a highly complex issue and I know of no-one on this Forum that is qualified to advise even with full details of your current position (Medical/ History/ Any other relevant facts) The DVLA are the only people who know the full details of why they are "dragging their feet".

Contact an Insurance Broker who understands Section 88 or speak to your current insurer.

Leaseman (Moderator)

Section 88 and Car Insurance. - Brit_in_Germany

A similar question came up in the Ask HJ section:

Can I get car insurance while my delayed medical driving licence is being processed? | Ask Honest John | Honest John

Section 88 and Car Insurance. - Falkirk Bairn

Google search

www.motordefencelawyers.co.uk/motoring-advice/dvla.../

Section 88 and Car Insurance. - Bhadvo

Thank you so much. Currently as I'm driving under section 88 with a previous policy. I have had verbal conversation with the doctor and they are happy for me to drive. Will this suffice? Or do I need a written letter?

Section 88 and Car Insurance. - leaseman

This is a highly complex issue and I know of no-one on this Forum that is qualified to advise even with full details of your current position (Medical/ History/ Any other relevant facts) The DVLA are the only people who know the full details of why they are "dragging their feet".

Contact an Insurance Broker who understands Section 88 or speak to your current insurer.

Leaseman (Moderator)

Section 88 and Car Insurance. - Terry W

I was in a similar position a few years ago - I was told not to drive for at least 6 months due to a medical condition.

The DVLA were completely dilatory in reviewing my case, although fortunately they had not formally refused or revoked my licence.

After 6 months of enforced non-driving, I confirmed with my doctor that there were no obvious medical barriers, and there had been no repeat of the original event which forced me to stop driving.

I sent DVLA a recorded delivery letter (so they could not deny receipt) a letter outlining my intention to resume driving unless I heard explicitly to the contrary with two weeks. No letter or communication (phone/email) having been received I got behind the wheel.

A letter confirming a return to driving was approved was belatedly received some months later, How close my experience is to your I don't know - so for information only.