Stellantis - Main dealer rip-off - bathtub tom

A colleague had pointed out to them their car was leaving pools of liquid under it when parked. They admitted they were having to top-up the coolant regularly, so they tried to book it into the main dealer, who stated there'd be a £180 charge to plug it into diagnostics!

They took it to a local quick-fit type place, who looked under the bonnet, told them it was the water pump and gave them a price to replace it.

Guess who got the job?

Stellantis - Main dealer rip-off - Orb>>

It seems far too common for this, evidence a while back for a neighbour paying a local ford main dealer £1000 ish for a fuel pump replacement.

Stellantis - Main dealer rip-off - Engineer Andy

It seems far too common for this, evidence a while back for a neighbour paying a local ford main dealer £1000 ish for a fuel pump replacement.

My recent tale of woe (what it meant to replace it) regarding a failed exhaust sensor aside, my dealership quoted me about £1k for a replacement power steering pump (about £1200 for that plus reservoir and pipes) when the steering stiffened up back in 2016.

All it needed was for the fluid (same as auto transmission type - Dexron II) to be removed (rather a brown colour than red), a cleaning fluid added, driven around for a while to let it get to all the components, sucked it out and then replaced with new PS fluid replacement. I did this myself using a bought hand pump (not too difficult) and it cost around £40 - £50 all-in. Worked much better afterwards.

Thanks goes to Scotty Kilmer on YT for the fix and what to do. I wonder how rare it is for a main dealership to know such things and to be able and willing to carry them out? I'd be telling everyone how good they were if they did.

Stellantis - Main dealer rip-off - De Sisti

My recent tale of woe (what it meant to replace it) regarding a failed exhaust sensor aside, my dealership quoted me about £1k for a replacement power steering pump (about £1200 for that plus reservoir and pipes) when the steering stiffened up back in 2016.

All it needed was for the fluid (same as auto transmission type - Dexron II) to be removed (rather a brown colour than red), a cleaning fluid added, driven around for a while to let it get to all the components, sucked it out and then replaced with new PS fluid replacement. I did this myself using a bought hand pump (not too difficult) and it cost around £40 - £50 all-in. Worked much better afterwards.

Thanks goes to Scotty Kilmer on YT for the fix and what to do. I wonder how rare it is for a main dealership to know such things and to be able and willing to carry them out? I'd be telling everyone how good they were if they did.

It would have been interesting to seen the reaction of the garage mechanics who quoted the price if you told them of your "fix".

Stellantis - Main dealer rip-off - skidpan

This diagnostics fee seems very common at some garages.

When we had the Micra the starter made noises on occasions so when we went shopping we popped into the Nissan dealer next door for their advice. The dolls head on reception said it would have to be booked in for diagnostics costing ££££'s before they could say what it was, when I said all it needed was a Mk 1 human hear she looked confused, left the garage.

Eventually we popped into our local Nissan garage as we passed, the chap on the service desk said that many did it, many did not. They had replaced some for owners who were concerned it may let them down but he said that they had never actually had one fail. Had car almost 8 years, still doing it on occasions when we sold it, did it on the test drive for the chap who came to look at it. Pointed out the noise to him and he had said he had heard it but was not worried since his previous Micra had always made the same noise, thought it was normal, bought car.

Then when we had the Note the front antiroll bar bushes began to make a noise that was well discussed on the forum. They were covered by warranty but many on the forum said there would be a diagnostics fee (non refundable) before the work could be booked in. So off we went to the dealer we had bough the car from (the one who said not to worry about the starter) who immediately booked it for the following week. Asked about diagnostic fee and their comment was "its under warranty, we cannot charge customers". Same when a I suspected a CV joint was making a noise, mechanic went out with me and agreed with the diagnosis. Said he would order the part (new drive shaft) and call with a date. Called a few days later and part fitted the following week but he then admitted the noise was still there, it was the opposite side. Another new drive shaft later and all sorted and all for nothing.

It would have been interesting to seen the reaction of the garage mechanics who quoted the price if you told them of your "fix".

I somehow doubt if they would've taken kindly to me doing that. The days of mechanics actually 'fixing' cars are generally gone now (probably including most indie outfits too), even ones where they still can be repaired by not having to replace lots of parts.

Sadly this lack of skill / attitude is prevalent across many industries nowadays, and not just where equipment can't be taken apart and little bits changed.

Stellantis - Main dealer rip-off - SLO76
Last time I had cause to visit a main dealer service department (AC Toyota) they told me I needed £2,000 worth of “urgent” work. The emissions and management lights were on on my old Avensis after an aftermarket exhaust and cat were fitted. I could hear a blow but the fast fitter who did the job denied this and my own garage couldn’t find one. I returned to the fitter and spoke to the manager who then fitted another cat (I suspect the wrong part as it was on the invoice as a 1.6 Auris) which solved the issues. Cost to me zero, local main dealer would’ve happily hoovered £2k off me for a small exhaust blow… t*****s!
Stellantis - Main dealer rip-off - Bromptonaut

Same experience here though I blame the dealership (part of Vertu) rather than Stellantis although the car involved, twice, is my Berlingo.

First time it was the remote fob that stopped working. £100 + VAT for diagnostics. In the event they sorted it within the hour's time bought for £100 albeit with a warning that the plip was on the blink and might pack up again.

Second was after the car started running very rough, almost no power and engine fault lights on. Car was recovered home of the M1 - Saturday afternoon before Xmas. Agent and I between us downloaded the fault codes, both PO271 which point to #4 fuel injector which was consistent with symptoms.

Towed in on 05 Jan - soonest there was workshop capacity, Still wanted their £100 + VAT to confirm that and try to tell me there were also faults in the air tract for the intercooler and brake switch - whatever that is.

Stellantis - Main dealer rip-off - elekie&a/c doctor
I think the dealerships are justified in making an initial charge for inspection , although £180 seems a bit steep. Perhaps 15-20 mins of time . If all customers turned up with problem cars and asked the dealer to “can you just “ have a look, none of the booked in work would get done .
Stellantis - Main dealer rip-off - Steveieb

Renault Captur with frozen Infotainment screen . No sat nav etc.

Been to the main dealers twice. No fault found while car was under warranty.

You Tube video showed how to reboot the screen by pressing the home button five times.

But why didn’t the Main dealer tell me this ?

Renault Captur with frozen Infotainment screen . No sat nav etc.

Been to the main dealers twice. No fault found while car was under warranty.

You Tube video showed how to reboot the screen by pressing the home button five times.

But why didn’t the Main dealer tell me this ?

They probably just didn't know. Says rather a lot in my view about the technical competency of dealers and the UK arm of the company, who should know and disseminate these things.

To be honest, such fixes should be available to anyone who needs them on their website. I suppose they (and other makes) don't because it might make them look like their engineering and car IT/electronics is poor, which has been one of my chief complaints about cars built over the last decade or so.

I think the dealerships are justified in making an initial charge for inspection , although £180 seems a bit steep. Perhaps 15-20 mins of time . If all customers turned up with problem cars and asked the dealer to “can you just “ have a look, none of the booked in work would get done .

Sadly most charge for a full hour as a minimum, however short a time it takes. When I had my exhaust sensor changed out, the diagnostic (plugging it into their OBDII scanner presumably took a lot less than that. I was charged £60 - probably for 'half an hour's work'.

Stellantis - Main dealer rip-off - madf

My OBD2 code reader cost £45 ten years ago. (Autel).Still works perfectly..I will happily charge anyone £100 to raed OBD2 codes.:-)

Stellantis - Main dealer rip-off - bathtub tom

My OBD2 code reader cost £45 ten years ago.

Mine cost £15. More than paid for itself the couple of times it's been used (crosses fingers and throws salt over shoulder).