Used car with plenty of rear legroom - Amelia Watts

Hi all - I'm looking to buy a used petrol car that I can commute in but also 4 adults can comfortably travel long distances in. So plenty of rear leg room.

My budget is fairly limited £4000 - and I can't travel far to rest drive (live in St Leonards) so max 50 miles from here.

Any recommendations of reliable makes/models to look at? Ideally I'd like somthing I can keep for years. Thanks in advance

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - Sulphur Man

Toyota Avensis perhaps. Not the diesel ones though

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - daveyjp

First gen Mercedes B class had more rear legroom than an S class of the same period, but a £4k one will be a gamble.

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - badbusdriver

As well as the Avensis mentioned above, Ford Mondeo, Honda Accord, Mazda 6, Volvo S80 or V70?

Might also be worth looking at a Honda Civic which is smaller than the cars already mentioned, but very spacious. Apart from oil consumption on 2012 (9th gen) cars, reliability is very good.

Edited by badbusdriver on 15/01/2024 at 14:33

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - gordonbennet

Skoda Superb, probably the roomiest for rear passengers since Landcrab.

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - John F

........ 4 adults can comfortably travel long distances in. So plenty of rear leg room.

My budget is fairly limited £4000 .......

Ideally I'd like somthing I can keep for years.

You said petrol, but diesel would be more economical for long distances. Your budget limits you to older cars, so if you want it to last for many more years, a non-corroding aluminium one would be best. Here's something with loads of rear leg room....

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311073741777?s...a

....and it's done many fewer miles than most of the other 12 sub 4k aluminium limos on this site!

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - Bromptonaut

Id suggest a Berlingo or one of its cousins but very few were sold with petrol power in the timeframe that matches your price.

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - skidpan

........ 4 adults can comfortably travel long distances in. So plenty of rear leg room.

My budget is fairly limited £4000 .......

Ideally I'd like somthing I can keep for years.

You said petrol, but diesel would be more economical for long distances. Your budget limits you to older cars, so if you want it to last for many more years, a non-corroding aluminium one would be best. Here's something with loads of rear leg room....

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311073741777?s...a

....and it's done many fewer miles than most of the other 12 sub 4k aluminium limos on this site!

The OP asked for one with 50 miles of St Leonards, this one is only about 145 miles away so almost within touching distance.

It is also likely to cost a huge amount of money to run. Remember that parts and repairs will not be in any way related to the purchase price, they will be in line with far newer similar cars over £60,000.

It does not sound like the OP has this sort of cash to gamble with.

How about a Mondeo. Should be a good number available and they had plenty of space, our 2002 example was large and the newer ones (like you would be getting) are much bigger. The 2.0 Mazda designed petrol is a robust motor (the 1.8 is OK but a bit gutless in a big motor), at this money I would avoid the 1.6 turbo petrol and all diesels.

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - Adampr

Agree with Skidpan - a Mondeo (not an Eco boost or Power shift) is the obvious choice.

The Skoda Rapid or Seat Toledo (same car, different badge) is another option if you want something a bit smaller.

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - ElHombre

If going to look at at any of the recommended cars, I'd suggest that you take the largest adult with you and sit them in the rear seats.

I'm not a giant but find that equally important as leg room, but overlooked, is headroom and many cars fall short. For instance I've found Mondeos, C class Mercedes saloon and coupe, 3 series BMW all offered insufficient headroom to make them virtually impossible for me to travel in the rear.

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - Andrew-T

I'm not a giant but find that equally important as leg room, but overlooked, is headroom and many cars fall short. For instance I've found Mondeos, C class Mercedes saloon and coupe, 3 series BMW all offered insufficient headroom to make them virtually impossible for me to travel in the rear.

Styling again. For years the trend has been for raked roofs, so tall people in rear seats sometimes touch the ceiling - not a safe or comfortable arrangement, especially with the number of unexpected potholes in our roads.

Styling again. For years the trend has been for raked roofs, so tall people in rear seats sometimes touch the ceiling - not a safe or comfortable arrangement, especially with the number of unexpected potholes in our roads.

Yes and no. Yes, there is a trend towards raked roof lines, but no in so far as those of a 3 Series or C Class haven't really changed over the years. Part of the reason for this, obviously, is that there are coupe versions of both. Ignoring that, it should surely come as no surprise that neither 3 Series or C Class are particularly spacious in the back as both are on the small side of their manufacturers respective ranges regardless of whether saloon, estate or coupe.

The Mondeo is a different kettle of fish though, closer in size to a 5 Series or E Class and taller than both. It is also front wheel drive, so more usable interior space, so I'm frankly suspicious that someone claiming not to be a giant can't comfortably fit in the back.

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - ElHombre

Be as suspicious as you want. I've no dog in the fight and I don't lie

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - bathtub tom
insufficient headroom to make them virtually impossible for me to travel in the rear.

Years ago I viewed an AX with a view to purchase. I found my hair brushing the sun roof and walked away as I thought I'd be bashing it on uneven roads.

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - Engineer Andy
insufficient headroom to make them virtually impossible for me to travel in the rear.

Years ago I viewed an AX with a view to purchase. I found my hair brushing the sun roof and walked away as I thought I'd be bashing it on uneven roads.

Glad I decided against one (end of line before the Saxo appeared) when I got my old 90s Micra, which itself did have a high roof. On the downside, that did mean it got blown about a bit in strong crosswinds...

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - SLO76

If going to look at at any of the recommended cars, I'd suggest that you take the largest adult with you and sit them in the rear seats.

Honda CRV is vast in the rear, but at £4k or less it’ll be a bit crusty underneath and the diesels would be too much hassle while the petrol is thirsty. Space wise it’s ideal though.
Used car with plenty of rear legroom - Big John

Hi all - I'm looking to buy a used petrol car that I can commute in but also 4 adults can comfortably travel long distances in. So plenty of rear leg room.

If I was in that position re petrol commute but a car also capable of fitting 4 adults comfortably with such a limited budget I myself would consider a smaller car but with a large interior eg Nissan Note (63plate or earlier), Kia Venga or Hyundai IX20. These all have reasonable rear legroom and good headroom. The 1.6 automatic Note is fabulous, great original Nissan engine with torque converter gearbox & overdrive - and surprisingly economical in real life.

As with anything, especially at this budget condition is all - and rust is still a car killer. Check service records and look up all MOT history.

Edited by Big John on 15/01/2024 at 19:59

At this money you’re well into the danger zone when it comes to buying a car. Most of the options dealers have at £4k are £2k cars with a valet and a warranty that’s not worth the paper it’s printed on. Private sales are where the best cars are at this money, but there’s plenty of risks there too. It’s a bit of a minefield.

I had a wee look around on autotrader at the usual models I’d recommend (Toyota Avensis, Honda Accord and Mazda 6) but although there are a few nearby, a quick check of the Mot histories reveals loads of rust advisories which means your £4-£5k car is on borrowed time. Must be down to your coastal location.

I own a 2010 Toyota Avensis estate, which has been fantastic. It has loads of room inside and as long as you stick to the petrol models they’re very dependable. But rust is starting to eat into mine too underneath. No advisories on this years Mot, but it’s starting to look a bit crusty underneath despite looking and driving like a 5yr old car on the surface.

I’ve been ordered to seek a replacement for old Terrance the Toyota by management as she is expecting and wants something newer but equally as capacious. If you were nearer I’d suggest looking at my car, but it’s a bit too far for nipping round.

I’d suggest however that you may need to travel a bit to find a more solid example of the cars I mentioned above. Try a Civic also, as they’re surprisingly spacious. Stick with petrol and avoid prestige brands like Audi, Merc and BMW. Above all take someone who knows what they’re doing with you, scrutinise the cars Mot history and get under it for a good look. The cars you’re looking at are all over a decade old and salty air fair eats into subframes and suspension components.

Edited by SLO76 on 16/01/2024 at 10:39

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - John F
but although there are a few nearby, a quick check of the Mot histories reveals loads of rust advisories which means your £4-£5k car is on borrowed time. Must be down to your coastal location. ..... The cars you’re looking at are all over a decade old and salty air fair eats into subframes and suspension components.

Not if they are made of aluminium (see my above post). My A8 is over 18yrs old - the only corrosion I have had to deal with is a small spring on the sun roof baffle.

“ Not if they are made of aluminium (see my above post). My A8 is over 18yrs old - the only corrosion I have had to deal with is a small spring on the sun roof baffle.”

Audi’s in general resist rust better than most brands, especially the alloy A8’s. But would I recommend a highly complex and hugely expensive to repair luxury car to someone on a £4k budget? Nope.

I have been looking at A4, A6 Avants and Q3’s and Q5’s myself today however, with a particularly tidy A4 1.4 TSi Avant the front runner so far.
Used car with plenty of rear legroom - Bilboman

My first thought was the Nissan Pulsar, which has cavernous rear legroom. Prices for decent newish models are nearer £6000, but there seem to be a few of the older Almera at around half that. There are a few around the St Leonards/Hastings area that might be worth a punt... www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/l-Used-Nissan-Almera-Hasti...3

Edited by Bilboman on 17/01/2024 at 23:06

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - Adam Bligh

go to a local used car dealer and you can see if there's enough legroom yourself

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - JonestHon

My budget is fairly limited £4000 - and I can't travel far to rest drive (live in St Leonards) so max 50 miles from here.

Any recommendations of reliable makes/models to look at? Ideally I'd like somthing I can keep for years. Thanks in advance

All advise given so far is sound. Remember you are borderline banger territory.

In your budget patrols I would at least check, some Ford C-max first so check for rust and odometer accuracy. I hold these cars in high regard for space and comfort over long runs.

1. C-Max 1.8 Petrol, reasonable miles but I'll check this carefully www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401125498161?a...e

2. 2.0 litre auto www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202310102847171?a...e

3. 1.6 Zetec: www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202401075332423?a...e

4. Toyota Avensis petrol 1.8, I own one in estate guise, bulletproof and loads of leg room for big passengers, check for clutch at this mileage: www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312245045019?a...e

5. Petrol Acord: www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202312235032421?a...e

6. Petrol CRV www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202311153964182?a...e

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - thunderbird

My first thought was the Nissan Pulsar, which has cavernous rear legroom. Prices for decent newish models are nearer £6000

Not been around for a while but still lurking. Had to reply when I saw the Pulsar mentioned, a car about as popular as pox in a brothel, think I must have been the last person with the balls to type Pulsar until today. Posters from the past will remember we had one and what a great car it was. The price helped (we got £6000 discount on a brand new car) but in the years we owned it not a single issue. The rear legroom was limo like and the boot not half bad. We bought the 1.6 DIG-T since the 1.2 DIG-T did not have a great reputation for reliability and the only downside was the mpg, about 35 mpg at best but when you consider it had almost 190 bhp that was quite acceptable.

When we bought it many on here told me it would be a disaster and would not see it any other way, its the main reason I don't come on much. They said it would be worthless when we sold it (if we could actually find a buyer) but in truth (possibly thanks to covid and a shortage of good used cars) we had no issues at all and got a really good price (the smallest loss we have made on a new car).

It was a hard act to follow, finding a car as good and as roomy for sensible money was impossible but we eventually settled on an Octavia iV (got a decent deal on a pre-reg) and have to say we are more than happy. Its a better car than the Pulsar in every respect but we expect to loose a fortune when we come to move it on.

But having looked at and driven several earlier Octavias I would not recommend them to anyone. Very noisy and despite the size of the car the space in the rear was not great (the Focus's we had were better and they were not that great either), seemed that the designers wanted a huge boot and forget the rear passengers. The seat base in those earlier cars was also very low making getting out awkward.

Your budget is below what I would think would get you a really good car but you may just be lucky.

Edited by thunderbird on 18/01/2024 at 16:45

Used car with plenty of rear legroom - Chris M

I had a 2004 CMax 1.8 petrol in Zetec trim for 10 years. It proved reliable and reasonably comfortable. Mine had the three part rear seats where the centre section could be folded up into the boot space (or removed completely), the outer seats then could be slid back diagonally giving a four seater with masses of rear legroom. Not sure if this feature was carried forward to the later models.

I had a 2004 CMax 1.8 petrol in Zetec trim for 10 years. It proved reliable and reasonably comfortable. Mine had the three part rear seats where the centre section could be folded up into the boot space (or removed completely), the outer seats then could be slid back diagonally giving a four seater with masses of rear legroom. Not sure if this feature was carried forward to the later models.

Our 2011 Meriva had this too, though if memory serves the centre section of the back rest folded forward then it and the base pushed down. Obviously boot space is boot space is reduced with the rear seats in this configuration, but still pretty decent.