What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda Civic - 1.0 engine recalls for 10th gen model - Halmerend
Anyone else had a product update letter for a free fit of the timing belt? Was expecting to have to shell out £1,500 to get this replaced next year so if the letter holds true, it’ll save me some dosh. Looks like they’ve been shredding teeth on some. Honda reliability’s bit of a myth in my view as I’ve had a few problems with this car during four years’ ownership, Wife’s Audi A1 has been far more reliable and definitely better built imho.
Honda Civic - 1.0 engine recalls for 10th gen model - JonestHon

Every car maker have flop at one point or another, even brands like Lexus (see IS220D).

When Honda came out with their new line of engines few years back there were some grumbling from unsatisfied clients about the 1.5 engine oil dilution and the 1.0 wet cam belt design. They should have stick to the trusted chain cam engines. I'd bite their arm off for the cam belt job.

Yes I gather a few people have just shelled out and Honda are refusing to refund the cost despite the fact that it would have been done for free a few months later. Not good.
Honda Civic - 1.0 engine recalls for 10th gen model - badbusdriver

Honda reliability’s bit of a myth in my view as I’ve had a few problems with this car during four years’ ownership

Not really a fair comment as historically Honda's have been amongst the most reliable cars on the road at any price. What would be a fair comment is that Honda have dropped the ball of late and that reliability is no longer up there with Toyota.

Wife’s Audi A1 has been far more reliable and definitely better built imho.

Funny you should say that as there is a current thread re an A1.........!

Honda Civic - 1.0 engine recalls for 10th gen model - Andrew-T

<< Funny you should say that as there is a current thread re an A1.........! >>

Which just goes to show that reliability stats are all very interesting, but they don't necessarily apply to the single car that you own or are looking at !!

Yeah I appreciate I’m a very small sample!
Honda Civic - 1.0 engine recalls for 10th gen model - Steveieb

Honda have a long history of recalling cars that had design problems.

Back in the eighties they recalled all their cars in the Northern hemisphere to fix the rust problems which my Accord suffered from. They even replaced the cam shaft at 80 k miles free of charge.

Maybe Peugeot can be persuaded to follow suit and recall their Pure Tech engines to fit a new wet belt. Apparently they will arrange an inspection free of charge, but won’t give an undertaking that all will be well. And some owners are going to the trouble of removing the sump and cleaning the oil strainer when they have an oil change as a preventative measure .

Honda Civic - 1.0 engine recalls for 10th gen model - badbusdriver

Honda have a long history of recalling cars that had design problems.

Back in the eighties they recalled all their cars in the Northern hemisphere to fix the rust problems which my Accord suffered from. They even replaced the cam shaft at 80 k miles free of charge.

Not sure that qualifies as a long list?

And rust issues would be an assembly problem rather than a design one. But lets face it, many cars had rust issues in the 80's, possibly the most (in)famous being Lancia.

Honda Civic - 1.0 engine recalls for 10th gen model - Rusty Bullethole

The thing is, the Honda P10A 1.0T engine is not really a Honda engine at all. Honda wanted a small turbo'd 3-pot but didn't want to divert engineering resources into its development. They handed the whole job over to FEV (Aachen, Germany) with a brief to develop the engine as quickly and cheaply as possible. FEV based their development on Honda's 660cc Kei-car P-series engine block, using as many parts from the 1.5T as possible to control costs, and using a wet belt.

Of course the engine is bedevilled with problems. A particular issue is belt debris blocking the oil feed to the turbo. New turbo kits now come with a new belt included.

Don't touch any wet belt engine.....

Honda Civic - 1.0 engine recalls for 10th gen model - Steveieb

This is really surprising Rusty and another indication how Honda have lost their way. Even loyal Honda owners are finding the style of the new Chinese built EVs hard to warm to.

But a company that for years have Mede some of the advanced petrol engines in the world and fitted them to garden machinery equipment , marine , motorcycles and Formula One should need to outsource a popular engine like the three cylinder is really surprising.

The current Red Bull F1 engine which powered their cars to a clean sweep in the 2023 season and which is based on Honda technology is evidence of their expertise !

Honda Civic - 1.0 engine recalls for 10th gen model - gordonbennet

Indeed, reminder of when Toyota lost sight of the ball for a while due to outsourcing component supply (maybe without enough supervision?) leading to a few QC issues that spoiled their otherwise excellent record, that ended with a very public apology from the CEO of the company and Toyota are now back on track.

Hopefully this experience for Honda will result in a similar clean broom sweeping operation and see them back on track too.

This is becoming a bit of a shambles for Honda with main dealers now telling customers that some have received timing belt recall letters in error. Oh dear Honda, not good at all.
Spoke to Honda uk and unfortunately I’m one the customers who’ve received a timing belt letter in error. They’ll be sending correcting letters out shortly. Fortunate there’s nothing wrong with my belt I suppose! The refit cost is around £1,200 now so it has come down a bit. I’m sure it was £1,700 at one point. .
Honda Civic - 1.0 engine recalls for 10th gen model - Engineer Andy

Indeed, reminder of when Toyota lost sight of the ball for a while due to outsourcing component supply (maybe without enough supervision?) leading to a few QC issues that spoiled their otherwise excellent record, that ended with a very public apology from the CEO of the company and Toyota are now back on track.

Hopefully this experience for Honda will result in a similar clean broom sweeping operation and see them back on track too.

I get the impression that Honda have been penny-pinching on the R&D / quality control and now customer service side for some time now, possibly since around the time the new lot of cars were put into production in the mid-late 2000s, getting steadily worse.

It's almost as though they 'gave up' after so many years of excellent design innovations and great customer service. Whether the bosses were / are still way too conservative, and/or the company is run by bean counters rather than (at least some in top positions) engineers and/or car enthusiasts, I don't know.

I witnessed similar issues (of 'managing decline' through cuts) in my old industry of M&E Building Services Design, where tried and tested management was replaced by short termism and cost cutting. Many firms were never the same (quality) again, with once cherished reputations reduced to just 'another player' in the market.

I get a similar impression with many car manufacturers, many of which seemed to go through similar times as Honda from around the same period - some faring better than others and if and to the extent they've turned things around

It often depends upon who's at the top and whether their egos can withstand criticism and often requirements to make big changes to correct their own previous mistakes. Few top bosses fall on their proverbial swords either.

There’s actually a parallel recall for a software upgrade to prevent piston damage at low revs.
Honda Civic - 1.0 engine recalls for 10th gen model - elekie&a/c doctor
Think you’ll find that’s for Lspi . (Low speed pre ignition) .
That’s the one doc.
Honda Civic - 1.0 engine recalls for 10th gen model - Simon Haram

I'm one of the "lucky" people who paid £1200 for my belt to be replaced 2 weeks before they did the recall. Not only are Honda refusing to think about a refund, I now have a letter saying that the work they charged me for doesn't fix the problem and the car has to go back and have the recall work done properly. Another 5 days in the garage while they do it and my local Honda dealer won't book it in until mid April as they have to have the car taking up space all week while Honda examine pictures to give the repair the okay. Also got the ECM problem on my car now too so that has to be done as well. I have to agree with commenters that the reliability on this model has been far worse than the previous 2 civics I owned. I've had clutch, air con, parking sensors all go wrong and it has only just done 30K over 6 years. I won't be buying another Honda!

I’ve just received a letter confirming that my belt doesn’t need doing now. Out of interest which Honda dealer did you have it done at at a cost of £1,200 please? I can understand why you’re a bit unhappy! I was quoted £1,700 at one point.
Honda Civic - 1.0 engine recalls for 10th gen model - corax

I've had clutch, air con, parking sensors all go wrong and it has only just done 30K over 6 years. I won't be buying another Honda!

Aircon seems to have been a weak point on Hondas for some time now. If it was a stone through the condenser, then fair enough, but there have been problems with the compressors. Strange that Honda haven't looked at changing the supplier if that is the case.

Yes had to wait three summer months for a warranty replacement air con condenser on mine. Clutch master cylinder also replaced under warranty. Bit disappointing really.